Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmiffco View Post
    sst120 is just a modified 150
    and a 260 is not a modified 200
    got ya,,,,,,,,,,,
    You should know better than to argue with someone who is never wrong.
    > Stainless steel Merc cowling plates - $110 shipped TYD - LINK <

1979 16' Action Marine/2.5L Merc S3000 - Metalflake Maniac
    1984 18' Contender Tunnel/2.4 Merc Bridgeport

"Where does the love of God go, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    You should know better than to argue with someone who is never wrong.
    sometimes its just fun,,,,,,,,,,LOL
    actually agreeing is right,,,,,,,,,,,,
    sst120 is just a 150 but a 260 is not a modified 200
    in 1990 1/2 -91 merc made a few limited production mod vp motors
    took a 2.5 steel sleeved 200
    gave it the racing ignition and flywheel off the race motors
    the racing carbs and crossported intake
    cleaned up the milling grooves in the exhaust cavity
    the 9ring crank from the BP
    was 240+hp to compete in modvp
    then the next run ,,,,,,
    they put in allunimum sleeves
    and the racing FI
    and called it a 260
    but it is no where the same block as a 200

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wrong once back in 1981... my wife told me so... I see all types of Mercury engines everyday and run several myself and on the best day Mercury made them and pushed them out the door they were crude junk... not exotic Lamborginis. Guess you could say a 260 is about the same as a Mercedes or Jaguar since they use the same BOSCH injectors.. not just similar but the same exact part. 46 years not 4 or 6 but 46 dealing with the same parts and pieces over and over. Now I ask you... can you take an SST-120 engine crank and put it in a stock 150 fishing motor ...YES but can you take an S-3000 or late 260 crank and put it in a 200....NO ... The point I intended to make is the BASE engine for the SST-120 was a 150/122 cu in design unlike the 260 and S-3000 that were engineered from the drawing board up. How do I know.. Fred told me... Fred Hauenstein that is if you know who he is...now I didn't get on here to start a debate and really don't care who thinks who is right or wrong. In most cases I was racing these black pieces of junk when most of you were in diapers and at my old age I still do ... Maybe you will be too when you reach my age..
    www.eagleoneperformance.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle One View Post
    The point I intended to make is the BASE engine for the SST-120 was a 190+/122 cu in design
    Fixed it.....

Leave out tha "150" part and your a little closer ta right..................Other than that, "parts is parts".

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not arguing either
    the sst120 block was made for sst120 racing
    yes a production crank will fit,,,,,,,,,

the original 260 motors had small bearing cranks in them
    could use a crank out of a production motor also
    as why I posted the original modvp 2.5
    it was not a 260 from the drawing board with different block and crank
    it was dimised from the mod vp motor
    back in 1990
    280/300 wewre totally different yrs and different block exhaust castings

so why is 120 different than 260
    in their mods done
    both being a race division motor and not production??????????

when a 1986-2000 200 has same block and sleeve p# as pro max 225
    pro max has outlet opened from square to rectangle
    front 1/2 is 14 pedal
    260 has same cavity as pro max with just the ex port/cavity outlet cleaned up
    allun sleeves instead of steel
    FI front 1/2

yes in later yrs they did go to big bearing
    but all the same design in the eary conversion yrs from 2.4 to 2.5
    1989-2001 has lots of combos using the same parts

u call em junk
    I as a racer,,,, thanked them and raced with merc
    in classes supporting them for giving us race motors
    and sponsoring our classes
    im old also
    started racing v6s in 1978

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You ain't that old my friend I'm a good 10 years older than you so you're still a kid to me and I've never seen you at a race and I ran both SST-120 and Mod-120 at the OPC Nationals in Eufaula Ala. and all over the country from 1977 to 1981 every year.. maybe 1982 all with V-6's right when you say you started running them???. World Mod-U Championships in 81 there too. In those days i'd have thought you'd have been there since people like Dave Packer even came over from Hawaii. and you ain't that far away. Heck the Callahan crew all came from Lufkin Texas every year.. isn't that right close to you?? You know Corky and Sue Ann and their kids..Johnson Dealer running the F-classes..Louis Collins maybe.. he's from Texas and he and I go back a ways ? He's a friend of mine from Texas and old just like me.. You know Brad Collins dad who had Mirage boats . Doubt you know the original V-6 design was a piston port motor and not a reed induction model. You know back when they kept the engine covered up with blue tarps every time they took the cowlings off. Now as for them being junk.. we used to have to keep 3-4 powerheads on hand at my dealership just to handle the warranty claims, so they were just not very reliable and I doubt most of the 2 strokes ever will be. I ran inline 6's before the V-6, T-1's T-2's and T2X's. When Carl Kiekafer was still involved..Doubt you had the pleasure of being aquainted with Les Cahoon,One of the head engineers of the V-6 Racing project in the beginning,(later went to second effort with Gary Garbrehct) Maybe you knew Fred Hauenstein another engineer who came to Mercury from OMC, How bout Steve Konrad or Bob Hetzel from the prop dept Maybe Dennis Cavanaugh, he later worked in High Perf sales?? How bout Danny Cartright Maybe you remember him.. he was an engineer in the race division at Mercury and an inspector for the APBA Back when I was a referee for a season or two. I even go back to the NOA days when they had the nationals at Eufaula and had the NOA racesite in Knoxville Tn.These are the ORIGINAL people behind the SST-120 project from the start. LONG before you ever saw a V-6. They ran the V-6's as early as 1974 before anyone knew they existed. You run in the IOGP series when they had the SST-140 engines, don't recall seeing you at any of those races back when Bill Seebold,and his two boys all raced.. How bout the Miller boys and the Castleberry foods boats.. You remember don't you, they won the national and world championships in SST-140.. We ran those small block champ motors back then when you didn't have to even own one you just leased a power head and lower unit off the Mercury truck at the race site..As for me I never won anything... Much. Now you can spout off all you want and look up parts in a parts breakdown til judgement day but I forgot more about these old black junk motors than you'll learn in a lifetime and I paid my dues on the race course.Where were you?? You acquainted with any of these people?? You run That Sport Series out your way maybe??? Old APR series maybe..Maybe at least you know my friend Jeff Reno and his wife Carol.. They race out your way all the time and Jeff has run SST-120 for years. Donnie McDowell maybe.. seems he won the National Championship a few years ago in SST-120..I'm sure you at least know Terry Rinker Maybe????Not doubting your knowledge at all because I'm sure you know how to cross reference parts?? Now seriously I raced as many as 22 races a year back when you say you started running V-6's and one year Ken Olson and I were competing against each other for the high points championship going all that season in.. oh yeah in SST-120 and I never recall seeing you or hearing anything about you at a race anywhere from Florida to California and you'd think that since I've raced all over the country especially back in those days, in the same class as you say you ran in, our paths would have crossed don't you?? Maybe we just raced at different places at the same time?? Now where were you then and what was it you won?? Not being disrespectful at all but it seems I am your elder?? You run at that race in Orange Texas back in September this year maybe??How bout Port Neches Texas back in May?? How bout Highland Texas back in April?? Maybe in October??? These were all right in your back yard?? just didn't see your name listed anywhere.. Maybe your just old and had heart trouble like me this past season and had to sit it out all year?? Just curious where all you raced since we've just never bumped into each other?? Again not doubting your word at all and not trying to piss you off, but it seems we'd have at least run into each other once in some 40 years???Especially since we both ran V-6's...Just can't recall seeing or hearing anything about you ?? Friend I've seen and run engines from Mercury Marine you have no clue ever existed...Now like Will Rogers said "if ya done it it ain't braggin'" I've race over 40 years and I believe this might be the only year I didn't in 46 years and I just never saw or heard of you??? But then strange things happen now don't they....Now this should at least be good for another 2-3 pages???
    Last edited by Eagle One; 10-21-2014 at 11:19 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You cant make a legal 120 from any other block.
    Seems to say it had a few custom features in it, just sayin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The question wasn't about the racing rules and what was allowed in a class just what the differences or similarities were in the engines. Now don't none of you boys take any of this stuff personal cause it's all meant in good fun...Ya' hear...
    Last edited by Eagle One; 10-22-2014 at 07:02 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle One View Post
    The question wasn't about the racing rules and what was allowed in a class just what the differences or similarities were in the engines. Now don't none of you boys take any of this stuff personal cause it's all meant in good fun...Ya' hear...
    no sweat, yes its a simple engine with great over rev

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the replys are getting longer
    all in fun
    I don't brag on who I am or know
    ,,,,,,,,,,as im a noboby,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    as u I built my own drag and tunnel boats
    never for being known,,,raced for fun
    till the fun died along with the classes
    I drag raced and played around with mod vp boats from 78-early 90s
    then when bob and greg created the champ series I raced that series till
    2008 as schrefer destroyed the series
    then our locals till 2011
    now just play with offshore and dragstrips
    know 95% of the people u listed
    helped create the tri hull class as I made all them hulls
    so yes still involved in our local sport series
    so was dragging through 80s and we took what merc had and chopped them up to make more power and add 100+ of spray on them

all I was trying to get across was 120 powerhead was specifically made for sst120
    u came back saying its just a fishin motor,,,,not
    so since 120 was fichin motor
    logically the 260 would be classed as a fishin motor in ur eyes
    as it was derived from the 200 block
    u can take a 150 and do all the mods tomake it a 120
    just as u can take a 200 block and make it into a 260
    so whats the difference is what I tried to get across
    don't care how long u been around
    as u dont care how long ive been
    both motors came from merc racing division
    so again why is 120 in ur mind classed as a modded 150
    and the 260 not classed as being a modified 200 block

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stayed at Holiday Inn last night......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good God Almighty . . . . . . . . anybody got a blanket so I don't hurt my knees when I get down to worship this prick?

I was young and bashful back then.
    Today,...I'd just knock on her door,..hand her the crab dope, and say, "Rub summa this on ya booger. I'll be back day after tomorrow".
    -Bristo

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simply because a 120 motor is based off a steel sleeve 150 design not a race engine. Mercury took the same 150 design and added improvements to evolve the engine to what is is today. The early 260's were based off the original 200 2.5 design but with Many more differences and after 1995 they became a Race designed piece to them selves and in 1999 the earliest 300 drag/S-3000 was created by hand machining the same 260 block. It now is an entirely new cast piece which even requires different water jacket gaskets. The SST-120 is a STOCK class engine the 260 and S-3000 are not. The original 2.0 champ engine was based off a fishing motor design. The finger port 200 in a 2.0 model with EFI. The latter 2.0 champ engines were the predecessor to the behind the liner 2.5. so you see it works both ways. Some engines evolve from fishing or production models which are "Stock Class" engines and some production engines evolve from Race designs as is with the behind the liner style induction 2.5 200. But in all actuallity the V-6's are all based off the original 60 degree 175 from 1977..Otherwise they were all likely designed from the thinking process of some engineer like Les Cahoon as he sat on the john giving birth to another POS . Do you remember Mike or Jim Gorlitz... Who were they???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noah since u are older that dirt and know everyone in boating, how come u couldn't find anyone in all that time to weld ur cut mids well enough that they aren't a death liability and filled with bondo?

If u weren't so cocky and such a d bag to everyone the mods wouldn't always need to delete people's threads about you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast