Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ok, over the next couple weeks Ill contact the manufacturers and see if they will each send me one.

Getting back on topic, what would you guys/ladies like to know about each one.

1. Testing procedures.
    2. Comfort
    3. Weight
    4. Construction
    5. Warranty
    6. Options (colors, embroidery, etc)

What else?
    13' Biel tunnel AKA "Flight Risk"
    13" Modified Yamaha V4 - 101 mph

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys keep saying this is about "recreational high-speed life jackets", but then you keep using the phrase "100 mph life jacket." However, you still don't seem to understand what the term means. It has NOTHING to do with how well the jacket protects you in a high-speed crash.

Just because one guy gets tossed out, makes a clean exit, and splashes down in a Chinese vest from Bass Pro Shops, doesn't indicate a proven track record. Maybe some of you think you're experts because you've seen pictures of life jackets, but they're built completely differently. The fabrics in a Lifeline jacket are MUCH stronger and thicker than the spring-jacket nylon most of the ski jackets are made from. Recreational jacket flotation is made by layering loose cut sheets of thin polyethylene foam, the same garbage they use to make cheap stadium coolers. Lifeline jackets have custom 1" firm one-piece pads, which combined with a stronger shell, offers more skin strength and impact protection than anything from the Overton's catalog.

Go ahead and put a cheap price on your life.
    '89 Hydrostream Vegas XT, '90 Merc 2.4 Bridgeport PCU EFI
    My YouTube videos________My Flickr photo gallery
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1706097519

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Pyro, trying to accomplish something here so we can actually get some good info and maybe see first hand side by side some differences. Your obviously passionate about the topic but can we stay on topic of whats available and what people would like to see?

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro View Post
    You guys keep saying this is about "recreational high-speed life jackets", but then you keep using the phrase "100 mph life jacket." However, you still don't seem to understand what the term means. It has NOTHING to do with how well the jacket protects you in a high-speed crash.

Just because one guy gets tossed out, makes a clean exit, and splashes down in a Chinese vest from Bass Pro Shops, doesn't indicate a proven track record. Maybe some of you think you're experts because you've seen pictures of life jackets, but they're built completely differently. The fabrics in a Lifeline jacket are MUCH stronger and thicker than the spring-jacket nylon most of the ski jackets are made from. Recreational jacket flotation is made by layering loose cut sheets of thin polyethylene foam, the same garbage they use to make cheap stadium coolers. Lifeline jackets have custom 1" firm one-piece pads, which combined with a stronger shell, offers more skin strength and impact protection than anything from the Overton's catalog.

Go ahead and put a cheap price on your life.
    there also comes a point when a boat is hauling ass that it is no longer recreational

https://www.facebook.com/scott.steffe

Replacement Fiberglass Windshields For just about every hydrostream
    Fiberglass Seat Shells 18 wide high backs, 18 wide barrel backs and 23 wide big boy barrel backs

call 941-575-8914 with any questions

7 to 3pm 5 days a week
    Custom Fiberglass and Paint
    In Business since 1984

for sale

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pyro. Dude!!!!!!!!!!!! Nobody here is questioning the greatness of Life Line products and jackets or the reason we should all have one. So please tell me where the rest of us can become as smart as youa nd learn all the wisdom you have of hi perf boating like the overwhelming knowledge you have. I mean its like you are the know it all of hi perf boating all the rest of have learned nothing in the last 20 years of our lives running fast boats. Good god man read the title of the thread again and then go take a chill pill or play a song on your guitar and go to your zen place for a few minutes. Jesus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rob Lankford

1988 20' Action Marine 2.4 200

Previous owned boats worth mentioning

1976 17' Action Marine 2.4 200
    1984 20' Action Marine 2.5 200
    1983 17' Hydrostream V-King 2.4 Bridgeport
    2003 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280 /300 Drag
    2005 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280
    2005 Baja 23 Outlaw 6.2 Mercruiser
    2006 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 200 CARB/2.5 225 PROMAX
    2009 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 280

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know why there needs to be a distinction between racing and recreation… high speed is high speed! If you're going to wear a jacket what's a couple of extra straps on a 'racing' version?

We mostly use Hutchwilcos and Grabners over here. Both are UIM Certified for offshore racing and are extremely comfortable and safe. The Hutchwilcos have a clever leg strap arrangement that allows you to sit normally with no tight spots or pulling, yet they pull the jacket down tight to stop it riding up if you go for a swim and your legs straighten. They've got a zip up front with 3 plastic buckles (zips alone aren't sufficient for offshore) and laces on the sides to adjust the size. The Grabners have a conventional crotch strap. I never use my boat without the Hutchwilco and my helmet, especially after putting my head through the gunwale when we crashed racing last year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10246465_10154129349765607_2683968054704405296_n.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	308137

Phantom 19G-R - E-TEC 115HO
    www.facebook.com/slayeroffshore

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its obvious that not everyone here can afford a 550 dollar jacket for each person that gets on our boats. For example I have a life line for me but if you think its just that easy for everyone to buy 4 life lines one for each of the four passengers I can carry on my action marine 20 then your obviously out of touch with reality. I cant afford even four 350 dollar poker run edition life lines for everyone on my boat for a weekend day out. Im obviously not going to run my boat as hard with 4 people as I would alone so there is a need for a good affordable alternative jacket for passengers. Im sure many of you can afford twenty life lines for our boat but not all of us can. Pyro you mention how we can all afford a prop and ect but wont spend the cash for a life line. Wasnt it you that just last month posted your entire boat for sale because you burnt a piston in your bridgeport? Come on man!!!!! Its obvious not everyone can afford the best of everything so lighten up and humble down a lil. Theres always a nicer more mellow way to get your point across without being a dick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rob Lankford

1988 20' Action Marine 2.4 200

Previous owned boats worth mentioning

1976 17' Action Marine 2.4 200
    1984 20' Action Marine 2.5 200
    1983 17' Hydrostream V-King 2.4 Bridgeport
    2003 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280 /300 Drag
    2005 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280
    2005 Baja 23 Outlaw 6.2 Mercruiser
    2006 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 200 CARB/2.5 225 PROMAX
    2009 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 280

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro View Post
    I've said this a dozen times and I said it again in the Facebook discussion:

"100 mph tested" means they shoot an empty life jacket into a wall at 100 mph to see if it falls apart. THIS DOES NOT IMPLY that it's suitable for any level of protection in a high-speed crash! It's a marketing gimmick. A life jacket without a zipper and leg straps is useless for anything besides waterskiing. It will rip away from your body and leave you for the divers to locate.

Anyone who says they can't afford a Lifeline... I call bullsh**. How much did you spend in your boat to make it fast? Speed is more important than your own life???
    You are correct sir. The more i think about your statement, the more i must admit that you nailed me to a tee. I have been so worried about making my boat as fast as I could possibly get it, all while wanting to save money on a jacket that would simply 'get by'. I am out of town in St Louis at a band competiton with my girlfriend and her daughter
    When i read your post I looked at my girlfriend touching up her hair in preparation for the days events and I knew I owed it her as well as her daughter and the rest of my family to be as safe as i can even if i am just practicing and learning to go fast.

Thanks for the wake up call, you very well could have just saved my life.

Slimm
    Last edited by Slimm; 10-18-2014 at 02:59 PM.
    Hire the handicapped, we're fun to watch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can't afford a lifeline, park your ride and save up gas money until you can. They might not find you alive, but at least you'll be floating. Comp vest 170.

A guy running 50 with his lifeline is much "cooler" (and smarter) than anybody running 110 without a life jacket...just sayin'
    Last edited by pearlriverrat; 10-18-2014 at 01:58 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Granpappy Jack always liked to say helmets & life jackets were for pussies ...
    Last edited by 71V153; 10-18-2014 at 06:16 PM.
    '71 Glastron V153 - Composite rebuild - Unceremoniously wrecked
    '81 Baja 15 SS - "nine-paged" '77 140
    '81 Carlson C500 Metric - Currently in foster care
    '70 something Speedcraft - Allison 16R clone - Undergoing restoration
    '79 Carlson CVZ 19 - Far back burner
    WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am fortunate enough that I can afford to buy the best jacket out there, so I bought a lifeline for me and a mustang for my wife.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    By recreational I meant, taking LifeLine for example, would be their sport vest. NOt considering the other like their parachute setup.

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr.Demeanor= ol chit starter

PYRO is not a dick just passionate about safety

Come on guys we are all one big happy family

Check out my onlyfans....
    Subscriptions start at 1 gallon 100LL a month

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mr.D,
    Is there a way to accurately describe the different shell materials as far as resistance to shredding or puncture? I compare a racing jacket to anything else side by side and the "recreational" vests seem like they're made of paper. Also, are there ratings available for the strength of zippers and snaps? Thanks for taking the time to do a comparison. It would be nice to know what mainstream vests would be worth having (if any) in the boat for cruising.
    Dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast