Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't you think that if wearing a serious life vest is required that a correct helmet system would be also? How about a padded cockpit with seats that are mounted securely and designed to hold you in them against going out of the boat. Don't let super good safety gear give the false illusion that you are in any way ready to do something stupid and walk away from it. The most important safety gear is in your noggin, know the safe limits of you abilities. There comes a point that you have to ask yourself, is this smart to be doing this? JM 2 cts after being into go fast boating since the 70's.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here is another one with leg straps

http://www.explosivepowersports.com/...FW4F7AodjB8AWQ

https://www.facebook.com/scott.steffe

Replacement Fiberglass Windshields For just about every hydrostream
    Fiberglass Seat Shells 18 wide high backs, 18 wide barrel backs and 23 wide big boy barrel backs

call 941-575-8914 with any questions

7 to 3pm 5 days a week
    Custom Fiberglass and Paint
    In Business since 1984

for sale

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by afr View Post
    here is another one with leg straps

http://www.explosivepowersports.com/...FW4F7AodjB8AWQ
    I like that one, even if it's called a fishing vest. My trouble is that I don't really know what I need. My boat runs 80's maxed out, but lets face it, I don't drive it that way all the time. I've been a passenger in boats running well over the 100 mph mark, and I have a new project for next year, an 18 Stratos VT with a 300 OMC that should see high 90's (I hope). Comfort is a huge factor, I regularly do 50 to 100 mile runs in a day. I run the Kawartha Lake system in Ontario, all inland lakes, with some wave action up to maybe 2 feet on some lakes.

From what I can see, the Mustang would be a good match for my style of driving. But I'm open to listening to any opinions or thoughts, and welcome them.

Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post
    *snip* - The most important safety gear is in your noggin, know the safe limits of you abilities. There comes a point that you have to ask yourself, is this smart to be doing this? JM 2 cts after being into go fast boating since the 70's.

I often times comment that I am fully aware that I am not an experienced boat driver and I will not be the guy that hurts myself or someone else because I was in over my head and just didn't want to admit it for fear of being chastised or laughed at.
    Did you hear about that one leg guy in Ky with the pretty blue bass boat that killed himself and some other people showing off? Nope you didn't and I don't see it happening any time soon. I am perfectly content looking at my beautiful scenery at 40mph or even trolling along at idle. I will get the best equipment I can and let seat time handle the rest.

Slimm
    Hire the handicapped, we're fun to watch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I havent heard back from anyone yet and still need to contact one. Had a horse emergency this week and have been at the vet clinic in Gainesville for a couple days. I should be able to get back to work on this though.
    13' Biel tunnel AKA "Flight Risk"
    13" Modified Yamaha V4 - 101 mph

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just some food for thought,
    I've been through two blow overs,in both cases my first impact was with the boat.Took a 3'x4' piece out of the side of a vector.Point is, that impact protection is first on my list.In both cases by the time I got wet, I would guess I was going no faster than 60/70 and most likely somewhat less.So safe'ty is not necesarily all about a speed rating.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by outasite View Post
    Just some food for thought,
    I've been through two blow overs,in both cases my first impact was with the boat.Took a 3'x4' piece out of the side of a vector.Point is, that impact protection is first on my list.In both cases by the time I got wet, I would guess I was going no faster than 60/70 and most likely somewhat less.So safe'ty is not necesarily all about a speed rating.
    Helmet?

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Impact on the way out was always a concern of mine 30 years ago racing offshore but the jackets were built for it but no longer seem to exist.
    I had like 3 inches of very dense foam over the chest and it laced up so it couldnt come off
    These days its a cell and 6 point in a sst45
    What do they say in open wheeler racing..
    Feel your age...get a cage

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Demeanor View Post
    Helmet?
    I was in my mid twenty's,need I say more now at 63 I can stand on the soapbox and preach.I was wearing a Gentex though,most on here don't remember them.I still have it, and think was a good jacket,It will roll you face side up.Anyway thanks for all the research time you have put into this project.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I see a lot of guys with good jackets and no helmets running 100mph plus. Thats why I was asking. I know there are some concerns about helmets and water but I think the risk of head trauma impacting the boat are greater. Im not an expert though. The only one I see wearing a helmet regularly is Adam and I wear one occasionally especially if I know I am going for a big top end or rough water run. It was REALLY rough this day.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Years Day 2011.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	209.7 KB 
ID:	308867

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran a helmet for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago.. just because we were supposed to get some rain on one of our runs. All I can say is that I loved it, I didn't have to fuss with goggles over top of my glasses, and I had a better field of vision that I do with goggles! The helmet will be a part of my boating equipment from now on. Plus, it'll keep the sunburn off the bald head of mine!! It's just an inexpensive open face sled helmet, with a full face visor.
    Last edited by 58Evinrude; 10-30-2014 at 03:08 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    There was a time I would hardly run without one, used a full face bell.Then I think Bob Nordscog or someone wrote a artical about helmet "bucketing" and broken necks, and that was the end of the helmet for me.But I would be willing to rethink that now,if the right one came along.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The bucketing thing was from the old open face loose fitting helmets of the 70's and 80's. with bubble type face shields. They even put holes in them to combat it. A nice snug full face would scoop less, but it still could be a possibility. Slamming your face or head into a dash or what ever, would be better with a full face and good shatter resistant shield by a big margin. I figure if nothing else the eye protection alone would be worth it. My only concern is that you need a full compliment of stuff for real protection.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just read the thread front to back, and am surprised.
    I don't have a go fast boat right now but I hope that changes soon. My last fast boat was a CVX 20 Sprint with a 200, 65 MPH at best. I sold it when I was still 10 feet tall and bulletproof. I've been running under 100 HP rigs ever since. When I think back on the stuff I used to do quite frankly I'm lucky to be alive. ATVs, snowmobiles, cars, trucks and boats. I never used to wear a helmet, only goggles as I wore contacts. We never wore life jackets except when we were water skiing. ATVs was usually a hat on backwards. And more alcohol than I care to admit or perhaps even remember.
    Now, staring down 50 hard, wife and 2 kids I have a different perspective on things. I don't run the 16' aluminum without a life jacket. I don't own any V8 RWD rubber burners. Snowmobiling is a family sport with floater suits, helmets and gatorade.
    I've never been tossed from a boat above 30 mph - I am the last of 9 kids so yes to below 30 mph.
    I can remember vividly the night I lost control of my sled on a frozen puddle with my buddy in hot pursuit, and watching his ski coming at my head. I was lucky enough to twist my body and have a pair of snow pants with a melted line on one knee to show for it (his ski caught my knee in mid twist).
    I have several old pics of me on a slalom ski, too crazy to let go and trying to pull out of it. A lot of those pics have me horizontal above the wake, and most have arms and legs and lots of spray. Always a life jacket and most times a wet suit. No wonder why I've had a couple of ulnar nerve surgeries, and my neck Xray puzzles my doc.
    A few years ago I was lucky enough to get back on the slalom ski after a few years on the side lines. My wife had bought me a fancy neoprene vest. I was stoked. My body was 45+ but my mind was 18. Crossing the wake behind a 23' Lavey California Cruiser was like hitting a wall. About the fifth time I lost it hard, and remember it taking forever to reach the surface. The zipper in the fancy neoprene vest had unzipped down to the single buckle. I was likely being towed at 28 mph or so, so how much speed could I have at the end of 65 feet?
    Today I'm 6'3, and north of 240, and I know it. I have great respect for things that I used to consider play toys. I have a lot of things I still want to do in life.
    I don't have a Hi Perf boat right now as I said. The money is there for the boat, that's not the issue. I know I'll want to use it lots, and it'll be expensive to operate and maintain. I know this. I expect it. I have plan for it, and if all goes according to plan I'll have that boat in a few more years. I didn't have a specific brand of life vest on my list, but I do have a dollar figure in mind, and it's there.
    Please don't take this as rain on anyone's parade, and apologies if I've rambled.

What I really want to post is yes, you only live once. Be smart and realistic about it. As a group of performance boaters we would do well to be as safety conscious as any boater. Be prepared for the worst, and hope for the best. If it all goes to hell in a hand basket at least you'll be ready. And hopefully able to continue to contribute here on this forum.

pointer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by outasite View Post
    There was a time I would hardly run without one, used a full face bell.Then I think Bob Nordscog or someone wrote a artical about helmet "bucketing" and broken necks, and that was the end of the helmet for me.But I would be willing to rethink that now,if the right one came along.
    The bucketing came from the back of the helmet catching the water on impact and forcing the head forward. Then vests with the tall collars was the answer to minimize the helmet scooping water from the rear. That tall collar seams to help float you face down in the water. Big problem if you're unconscious. No real easy answer to cover all aspects in an accident.
    As others have said pick the best vest that you feel the safest in.
    Great thread to let everybody decide their best option. Biggest thing, wear a vest!

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast