Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New G-2 E-tech

Has anyone checked out a new E-tech this year? Amazing innovation and design like nothing ever before in an outboard engine. Out of reach right now for my budget but I still would like to learn more about it..
    20ft Gambler with Merc 260
    Too many projects to liist..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm watching these with much interest also! Are they commercially available yet? I know in Australia we have been told late in the year before they can be purchased.
    Just sold the 300xs off my boat and will be looking to re power around February. Initially I was keen on a 300 verado, then the G2's come out? I would like to see some real world results on them.
    another interesting point was made on OSO in a thread saying the 350 verado will become a standard production motor and make way for a 400hp version to take its place! Lucky I have time to wait!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not available in Canada yet, but the dealers have had technical training. We were chatting with the guy who sold our 115 HO to us, and he is really pumped about the G2.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rather go G-2 than a Verado myself.. a good friend of mine had a Verado and traded his boat for a new one just to get rid of the Verado and it's gremlins.. that was just last year and the Verado was only a year old... It stayed in guardian mode most of the time.. He had taken it to several Mercury dealers and neither one managed to fix it so he traded bass boats...... but I am sure it was just something they kept overlooking. Myself here I am an old school 2.5 Mercury guy.. I know them and can build one in my sleep including re sleeving and boring the block and all of it... as far as the newer stuff I am too old to teach new tricks.. but the G-2 E-tec is very interesting.... I am curious about how they are designed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw my 1st one last week end just east of the robert Moses causeway like 8 am when I was goin to fire island on my sea ray probably a dealer demo heading to the tow bay boat show
    Starboard starboard is alive

03 j17 skiff 40hp
    79 action 17 2.4
    79 15 viper (sold)
    85 22 velocity 225efi(sold)
    82 31 sea ray

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthebuilder View Post
    I rather go G-2 than a Verado myself.. a good friend of mine had a Verado and traded his boat for a new one just to get rid of the Verado and it's gremlins.. that was just last year and the Verado was only a year old... It stayed in guardian mode most of the time.. He had taken it to several Mercury dealers and neither one managed to fix it so he traded bass boats...... but I am sure it was just something they kept overlooking. Myself here I am an old school 2.5 Mercury guy.. I know them and can build one in my sleep including re sleeving and boring the block and all of it... as far as the newer stuff I am too old to teach new tricks.. but the G-2 E-tec is very interesting.... I am curious about how they are designed.
    It's very easy to form an opinion based on one friends experience. The truth is however you can get a lemon in any make or model! My 300xs is a prime example, cause I can assure you I got the sourest lemon off that tree! I don't think optimax's are no good as a result however as I know of plenty of others that just get flogged and keep on going day in day out.
    I know of 3 personal friends with 350 verado's and all have had really good experiences. Aside from being tricky to get to handle right, they have proven hands down a faster motor on their boats.
    I'm keeping an open mind for now!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the future is definitely in the low emission high efficiency engines. Myself on the other hand I am 64 years old and still a big kid.. I plan to boat and fish til I die... I can put a little more in the gas tank every month from my SS pmt and run these 2.5's I built a couple for myself from spare parts in my shop.. I did rebuild an Opti a few months back for a good friend.. I did not really want to but he is a good buddy of mine. I put a new OS sleeve in it and bored the other 5 to .015 OS and new pistons and the new bottom double seal and gaskets.. Had the Fuel and air injectors done by T-Brucato.. The engine is running fine every weekend so far.. I do happen to have my own machine shop.... machine work I do not mind on any of them so far. But other than that I tend to steer away from the newer ones.. But the new E-tech makes me wonder how it ticks? I am paying attention to them for sure.