Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RBT View Post
    You are right, one more.

pyro, a lot of good people have reached out to help you. Only you will know why ypu have second guessed them or completely blown them off. you have avoided or questioned everything and have not taken any advise. This is the crap that drives the smart guys off this board. You are taking a very simple procedure on a very sublime motor and making it overly complex and as much of an ass as I can be, I generally want to see people succeed. I love this stuff, right or wrong. But in this case I am completely blown away buy the utter ignorance displayed here. Do it your way.
    Rob, 100%. Many have really tried numerous times from the first page on this thread but for some strange reason he is extremely stubborn, seems to know better, continue to question advice and ultimately will end up doing it his way and that's is fine, his call, his motor.
    We just need to feel real good doing what we do, lord knows you have really tried, continue doing it and not get derailed by some that do not wish to embrace some good important advice or hands on help being offered. I'm not saying our way is the only way but not all that have reached out or offer advice in this case can be wrong.
    I strongly feel it would be a weak thing for the smart guys to walk away from a good forum we enjoy due to things like this!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should have been more patient and spent the money on a 260.

First, it's recommended that I check for the flat spot. It has them. Then the issue of the holes comes up, despite that most running Bridgeports don't seem to have them. Then the "FuturePyro" post appears, condemning me for considering hand-drilling holes in brand new pistons on a "crappy wood bench" (Hey, I built that bench, it has two layers of 3/4" plywood on the top-- it's tough), and I get several PM's recommending that I leave the Pistons alone and put it back together. I know several local boaters with healthy 260's and they regularly re-ring without pulling the front half. I realize it's NOT the right way to do it. I realize it's more difficult to get the rod caps lined up correctly.

I'm not being defiant here... I'm just getting a lot of mixed messages. Sorry for being so stubborn. Meanwhile, my wife is 9 months pregnant, and soon I will be very short on time to split cases and drill holes if I want to get this together by spring.

I will be spending most of the next few boating seasons idling around and cruising at 3500 rpm as I run back and forth to the island sandbar. Maybe I should have just went back to a fishin' motor.
    '89 Hydrostream Vegas XT, '90 Merc 2.4 Bridgeport PCU EFI
    My YouTube videos________My Flickr photo gallery
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1706097519

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just slap it together and run it!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to self, its a nice bench!! just not a clean surface, i.e. wood splinters, etc.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro View Post
    I should have been more patient and spent the money on a 260.

First, it's recommended that I check for the flat spot. It has them. Then the issue of the holes comes up, despite that most running Bridgeports don't seem to have them. Then the "FuturePyro" post appears, condemning me for considering hand-drilling holes in brand new pistons on a "crappy wood bench" (Hey, I built that bench, it has two layers of 3/4" plywood on the top-- it's tough), and I get several PM's recommending that I leave the Pistons alone and put it back together. I know several local boaters with healthy 260's and they regularly re-ring without pulling the front half. I realize it's NOT the right way to do it. I realize it's more difficult to get the rod caps lined up correctly.

I'm not being defiant here... I'm just getting a lot of mixed messages. Sorry for being so stubborn. Meanwhile, my wife is 9 months pregnant, and soon I will be very short on time to split cases and drill holes if I want to get this together by spring.

I will be spending most of the next few boating seasons idling around and cruising at 3500 rpm as I run back and forth to the island sandbar. Maybe I should have just went back to a fishin' motor.
    I offered you a deal that Probally won't
    happen no time soon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pyro.... You're in michigan right? Everything frozen right? Tear the damn thing and do it right.... You could have it done in no time and and the cork gaskets and other expenses ain't gonna kill the bank account.

14000 post...... Bout time you tear one down
    81' HYDROSTREAM VECTOR / slightly Modified 200
    before and after:http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...inished!/page3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny you mentioned cork gaskets... I actually cut my own sheet cork gasket for the poppet dump cover. As an instrument technician, I have a supply.

I'm not seeing what the big deal is about rod cap alignment. I realize how important the bearing surface is, but I didn't have any trouble with alignment. I loosely threaded in the cap bolts until the heads made contact, and I couldn't get the rod cap to deviate in any direction. It only wanted to seat in one position, exactly where it belonged. I pulled the bolts out one last time, carefully applied red Loctite and wiped away the excess (after having previously degreased the bolts and hole threads), and put it together, checking the alignment at the break several more times from each direction. Again, no deviation. Torqued to 30 ft-lbs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So how you check parting line alignment, by eye, finger feel, lead pencil?

Dave
    1980 Cougar 19 tunnel,90 2.4L Bridgeport EFI in middle of restoration.
    1988 BAJA Sunsport 186, 96 225 Pro Max
    79 12' Auminum, 95 Merc 9.9
    RIP Stu
    "So many idiots, so few bullets"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The force
    2023 TUFF 25

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Force is not always with you.

Dave
    1980 Cougar 19 tunnel,90 2.4L Bridgeport EFI in middle of restoration.
    1988 BAJA Sunsport 186, 96 225 Pro Max
    79 12' Auminum, 95 Merc 9.9
    RIP Stu
    "So many idiots, so few bullets"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strong View Post
    So how you check parting line alignment, by eye, finger feel, lead pencil?

Dave
    All of the above... And the force (a little magnified and lighted 45° mirror used for aligning trumpet valve ports.) I actually tried to mis-align it, and I could not.
    It rolls over smoothly. No worries.

The reed plate and horn are back on, and now I'm drinking Scotch whisky.
    Last edited by pyro; 01-24-2015 at 10:40 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro;
    now I'm drinking Scotch whisky.
    Put that **** down...grab a natty lite and break that fool open
    81' HYDROSTREAM VECTOR / slightly Modified 200
    before and after:http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...inished!/page3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RBT now you know how I felt when I tried to advise new rod bolts and yall negated my advise like it was unheard of to do such a thing and that you all have never changed them and never heard of a rod bolt failure. Well I wasnt going to go into it because it seems to mean nothing what I say but here it goes. The three best engine builders I know of change rod bolts and always will. You guys wanted Chad to do all these other things to be safe rather than sorry but new rod bolts are not needed? Let me tell you that I have had a rod bolt failure. It was a fresh rebuild on a 280 with all brand new internals (supposedly) I mean I paid for all new internals. At the suwannee river on the first drag pull after break in against Oldstv aka Scott Robertson,Grumpy and Jamie from Georgia. All very fast drag racers for many years. Yes its was a four wide sand bar drag race. I hit 9400 rpm and the engine grenades. Windowed and destroyed the block. After pulling the boat out of the water and pulling the cowl and heads there was no burnt pistons, lean condition etc. The rod bolts came out and the cap was hanging on by one rod bolt that was half way out of the cap the other bolt was laying there in the pan. Many people seen this engine and will attest that it wasnt lean and there wasnt any pin or ring failure. It was clear that the rod bolts came out and when it did it stuck the rod through the side of the block. Maybe it was a once in a lifetime rod failure but it was a rod failure none the less so it can and will happen. So my point here is that YES YOU SHOULD ALWAYS CHANGE ROD BOLTS OR AT LEAST ONLY USE THEM TWICE IF THEY ARE SPS. Chad in your case where you DONT know the history of the build and wether or not the bolts were new I suggested to replace them for piece of mind like all these guys have tried to tell you to do other measures to avoid something similar to what I did. It would have cost you nothing to go with the advise these very well respected guys have given you. My suggestion for new rod bolts would have been the only cost involved. Ive owned a bridgeport and I have changed pistons from the front without splitting the block. Yes it can be done but shouldnt be. I was fortunate enough to have a master mercury tech standing there showing me how to do it and even he said it shouldnt be done that way. Moral of the story is when people who know or have had first hand experience with something advise you in a certain direction its wise to listen and not ask for advise and then completely ignore and argue their input.
    Rob Lankford

1988 20' Action Marine 2.4 200

Previous owned boats worth mentioning

1976 17' Action Marine 2.4 200
    1984 20' Action Marine 2.5 200
    1983 17' Hydrostream V-King 2.4 Bridgeport
    2003 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280 /300 Drag
    2005 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280
    2005 Baja 23 Outlaw 6.2 Mercruiser
    2006 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 200 CARB/2.5 225 PROMAX
    2009 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 280

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    141 series rods?
    the three best engine builders I know don't replace them. They replace rods before bolts
    with arp, engineering doesn't or has never seen a failure of a merc rod bolt (call them). 99.9 % of broken rods bolts are caused by another failure first.
    2023 TUFF 25

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just get it done. Love those engines.!
    In the same time you spent on this thread and
    Telling everyone there stupid if they don't drink whiskey
    Your way I've done another complete rebuild on a
    Very clean chrome bore 2.4 even did the exhaust port
    Timing change. (Without touching the ports).
    Awesome mod and really makes them scream.
    I have 3 2.4s all chrome.
    Get boating.!!

Dago

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast