Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

99 Mercury 2.5, erratic tach, voltage gauge.

My 2.5 has developed a quirk. The tachometer has begun to just stop working and go to zero and the voltage gauge will go to zero as well. My Humminbird unit shows a different voltage than the analog voltage gauge also. When this happens the engine runs fine and shows no signs of trouble. I can wick the throttle and everything works again. I switched the grey wire from the top voltage regulator to the bottom one and the quirk is still there.

I am leaning towards regulators or stator. I have a manual and a nice Fieldpiece SC66 meter and plans to follow the checking procedure in the manual but the problem is I am currently down in my back with herniated discs and this damned engine cover is so heavy I can't get it off by myself. I have someone I could call to lift it off but he charges me $20 to come help me when I need it which I don't necessarily mind but he annoys the living H%$LL right out of me while he is here... LoL

So my question to all you smart folks, am I on the right track or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks
    Slimm
    Hire the handicapped, we're fun to watch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well don't I feel like an idiot. Turns out my ground wire going to the fuse box was loose. Stuck arm under the dash to feel for a loose wire and found the main ground wire was loose...thank goes to SSTOM and wretchin2 for pointing me in that direction.
    Hire the handicapped, we're fun to watch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rectifier