Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rev Limiters

I have a 1994 Mariner 225 Electronic Ignition 3.0 liter. Redline is 5500 with rev limiter set at 6000. I am racing the boat in class 7 of the OPA. In my first race in Detroit the prop left the water, I wasn't quick enough on the throttle and the limiter kicked it down to idol forcing me to put the engine in neutral and then accelerate again. Does anyone know if the rev limiter can be adjusted slightly higher?, I understand the dangers...but that's racing right. What are my options if any? While I know the rev limiter is there to save my engine, currently it is an issue. I obviously don't want to blow the motor up, it runs great and strong. I'm running a 23 pitch prop that gets me into the low 60's, (63) at 5500 rpm's. Break out of class is 60 so I need to run 58-59 at the lowest RMP's possible. Would a prop that got me to the same speed at lower rpm's be the answer giving me a few more rpm's to work with on the limiter, if so, can anyone suggest a better prop. I'm running a 22 foot Velocity with Jack plate usually all the way down. Trimming is easier than jacking. Again, I am a rookie in this area so any info will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Discovered that a 4 blade 23P prop solved my Rev Limiter problem...some times the fix is pretty easy. Runs totally different with the same pitch but 4 blades instead of 3. Problem solved. Thanks Mark H. and Bob G. for letting me try that prop!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any rev limiter that requires an engine to be brought down to idle is so poorly thought out and to me should be eliminated. This is both a safety issue and in your case a major performance issue.
    I would surly not want to be following you with someone along side of me in rough conditions and all of a sudden finding you slowing for unknown reasons. Nothing good would come of this.
    Regards,
    Charlie North
    If it ain't broke, modify it.
    80 21' Superboat with Yamaha 225 Excel power
    76 Glastron to be powered by a 6.2 L92 with surface drive
    87 Glastron CVX20 Hull

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charlie N you are so very correct. I am sending board out to have it tweaked as I am told it can be. The 4 blade changed the entire performance of the motor, however the response of the rev limiter regardless is still an issue.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good move.
    Regards,
    Charlie North
    If it ain't broke, modify it.