Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BEst Material for fillign Very fine gel coat cracks

Got a restoration am doing and along the seam where the hull and deck are glassed together is a series of very fine cracks in the gel. You almost cant feel these and it almost looks like the gel has dried out some.

THe usual filler I use is too coarse to even consider filling these. Have to be something very liquid I think. any one got ideas on the best way to fill these? boat will be primed and painted.

thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not an easy fix,hairline gel cote cracks need to be ground out, and a polyester filler used to fair it back in.Somebody else may know of another way,but that's the only process I have seen.Otherwise they will pop right back through.

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by outasite View Post
    Not an easy fix,hairline gel cote cracks need to be ground out, and a polyester filler used to fair it back in.Somebody else may know of another way,but that's the only process I have seen.Otherwise they will pop right back through.
    need to use a orbital sander and sand the gel coat off the affected area just back to the glass below!!, that gets rid of the cracks you can see and some others that you didn't see and any other damaged gel!!, then re spray it back to the right thickness again and when hard sand and polish back again , its the easiest and surest way to get rid of those marks ! the gel is like egg shell but the glass below the surface possibly wont have any signs of cracks, have done this on stress and star cracks in big areas and never comes back ever again !!
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried generic polyester fillers, used to use 3m Premium marine filler a lot, and now pretty much stick to System3 Silvertip Quickfair.. Spreads nicely, fills pinholes well, and easy to work with.

http://www.systemthree.com/store/pc/...ikFair-c17.htm
    ---

Mercury V6 FAQ http://www.biggerhammer.net/mercury/
    1994 Intrepid 23 WA w/twin 2002/2005 150 EFIs
    1984 Mako 224 w/2000 Mercury 225 - Sold