Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb "Cheep" Home brew octane booster THAT WORKS ! !!!

I've been messing around researching a lot of octane boosters and there claims .And you all know basically there are only raising octane in tenths of o point when they advertise full point raises.
    But there are a few like NOS race version and torco and I forget the other that basically do give you approximately almost 3 full octane numbers..

But thats what this post is not about this is about making your own and is very simple...And the ingredients can be bought at the local paint or hardware store for about $3 a gallon and Ol timers and a lot of racers still use it to achieve octane levels in the 94-99 range when mixed with 92 octane...

So here are two different recipes one with toulene and one with xylene both are common ingredients in octane boosters...
    Toluene R+M/2.......114
    Mix rate with 92 octane pump gas
    10%........94.2 Oct
    20%........96.4 Oct
    30%........98.6 Oct

Xylene R+M/2........117
    Mix rate with 92 octane pump gas
    10%.......94.5 Oct
    20%.......97.0 Oct
    30%.......99.5 Oct

Use At Your Own Risk.....I intend on trying this And was hoping some of you all maybe have done this before and could give some good feedback...This is not an attempt to substitute race fuel...Just maybe a little super cheap insurance for those who run compression levels that are borderline for pump gas..
    Hope y'all enjoy ..
    Last edited by woundedwarrior; 09-17-2014 at 12:03 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the 90's when I was spending everything I could make as fast as I could make it driving 1/4 mile at a time I had a brother that worked at a chemical plant down the street from where I worked. I'd go down and buy a couple of drums of Toluene for $45 a barrel and mix is 25-30% with super and run it in my 13:1 427 tunnel port sideoiler and my 429 SCJ boat anchor. Much more than that and it wouldnt start worth a damn and would barely idle. Good stuff but don't spill it on your paint and carb seals didnt last long.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    toluene i knew that it did increase the octane level but xylene I did not know.

Thanks for the info.
    Glastron GT 150 W OMC 140
    Glastron GT150 w OMC 235
    Hydrostream Vision with 2.0l 135
    Hydrostream HST w 3.0L 225

I know two things that are infinite, the Universe and Human's Stupidity, although I am not sure about the first one.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last time I bought 5 gal of xylene it was $16 per gallon... where do you get it for $3/gallon?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toluene and xylene both work to boost octane. The prices quoted are probably 1970's prices. Both chemicals are illegal and can not be purchased in some states. Can not get in California.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both are petroleum derivatives and you will not find Toluene nor Xylene for $3/gal anywhere. If you do, you'd better buy ALL of it. Plan on $15+ per gallon.
    Last edited by h2oskiier30; 09-17-2014 at 09:58 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheapest I can find it around here in bulk is about $6 a gallon.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I make both of them just for a hobbie so that's what I sell it for...

Just kidding call Sherwin Williams and price for xylene is about $27 but thought he could give me a better price if I bought it in there 5 gallon jugs .
    Lowes sold it only by the quart @ $10 .

No word on the toluene yet......I didn't know it but I guess its a major ingredient in the meth making deal..So don't be supprised if you get "The Look" So to speak when asking for it...
    But Xylene is the stronger of the two and will yield about a 2.5 octane increase at just the 10% mix so if you did have 93 it would turn it into 95.5 But there is also the 5% mix that would yield an approximate 1.2 increase in octane....Sorry about the wrong prices I should have done further research ...But I think I'll still try it for that price it will give you more bang for the buck than over the counter booster can

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toluene isnt used in meth manufacture.

You can buy Xylene at Lowes for $18 a gallon. Jobber price on a barrel is about half that.

Most octane booster in a can is toluene.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw a thing on Engine Power TV the other day where I guy makes some concentrate you can mix with gas and it raises octane, not sure what it was called though.

Man I used to go down to the gas station and buy some 110 leaded race gas and put it in my 280ZX turbo, and turn the boost up. I love the smell of race fuel.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toluene is not only an octane booster it has a huge resistance detonation, much more than the octane it self. If you want to do a little test put 1 gallon of Toluene in a half tank of gas on your computer controlled car. The computer advances the timing until the knock sensor detects a knock and backs off just a little. You will feel a big difference in power as soon as you hit the execlerator. Because Toluene does not contain metal it will not harm your catalytic converter.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be careful mixing those chemicals with the fuel at high percentages. It will lean out the motor and melt it down with out richening up the eng.
    You can get away with it on a fore stroke but a two stroke is a diffrent story.
    Propylene oxide is the best for increasing the burn rate of fuel with out leaning out the eng.
    The problem is it will evaporate from the tank very quick. So only put in what you will use for the day. You only need 2% in the fuel to do what it dose.
    O and it is a very strong carcinogenic. don't get any on you.
    VP sells it for $78 a gallon at most speed shops.
    If you want the punch from high comp and high timing this is the ticket.
    O and it works real good in a 80% nitro mix also.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the biggest reason toluene and xylene have been outlawed is the kids huffing it to get high, not meth. It all started with the old plastic model glue. Pretty sure it was toluene in that. Then they went to paint cans, toluene again. Very sad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Onetime View Post
    I think the biggest reason toluene and xylene have been outlawed is the kids huffing it to get high, not meth. It all started with the old plastic model glue. Pretty sure it was toluene in that. Then they went to paint cans, toluene again. Very sad.
    Thats just California. Its banned there because its a VOC that contributes to smog. Say what you want but I lived there before Californias smog regs and Los Angeles was a nightmare. Then and now is a world of difference. Same reason charcoal lighter fluid is banned in L.A. county. Everywhere else in the country toluene and xylene are available in most hardware and paint stores.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The octane boosting effects of Toluene, Xylene, and many others have been discussed here ad nauseum. There was a time when it might have been more cost effective to go that route, but in all honesty, it's probably cheaper now to just buy race gas and mix with it. Our local drag strip sells Sunoco 112 for about $10.50/gal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast