Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wired247 View Post
    Thats just California. Its banned there because its a VOC that contributes to smog. Say what you want but I lived there before Californias smog regs and Los Angeles was a nightmare. Then and now is a world of difference. Same reason charcoal lighter fluid is banned in L.A. county. Everywhere else in the country toluene and xylene are available in most hardware and paint stores.
    You are correct on them being a VOC and that is the other part of the reason for the ban. California is not the only state to ban them.
    To the smog point, it's getting tougher to even have a fireplace and use it. A lot of the counties won't even allow them on new construction and remodels when getting a permit.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oskiier30 View Post
    The octane boosting effects of Toluene, Xylene, and many others have been discussed here ad nauseum. There was a time when it might have been more cost effective to go that route, but in all honesty, it's probably cheaper now to just buy race gas and mix with it. Our local drag strip sells Sunoco 112 for about $10.50/gal.
    Really good point. Sometimes we get carried away looking for another means not realizing in the end it's actually more money and far riskier fire and health wise.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    E10 is already washing down your cylinders and removing that pesky layer of oil from your rotating assembly. I dont like the idea of adding more solvent to my fuel but if I did, I would certainly up my oil ratio.
    13' Biel tunnel AKA "Flight Risk"
    13" Modified Yamaha V4 - 101 mph

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oskiier30 View Post
    The octane boosting effects of Toluene, Xylene, and many others have been discussed here ad nauseum. There was a time when it might have been more cost effective to go that route, but in all honesty, it's probably cheaper now to just buy race gas and mix with it. Our local drag strip sells Sunoco 112 for about $10.50/gal.
    +1. Toluene used to be cheaper than gas if you knew where to buy it. Not any more and certainly not in the prepackaged consumer pack pain thinner gallons.
    Last barrel of Avgas I bought was $300. Best antiknock for the buck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2