User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Tipitina;2699001]Interesting thought with the all glass transom. What does that layup schedule look like? What kind of resin? I'm intrigued enough to possibly try it...[/QUOTE

Try which one just solid glass transom or the whole new transom with shape also solid glass ?? send private message will give you my email address so I can send pictures of the shape and give you the lay up !! I used a 115 25 inch vee 4 Yamaha so was way strong enough and with the set back didn't need a bracket to get the distance I wanted !I ended up with more cockpit room a much smaller splash well and better performance and a boat that's 100% glass and no wood anywhere to worry about for ever more !! its a good deal for sure , takes a little time , the main part can be made before hand so that saves a lot of time .glassing to where the old transom was is a piece of cake just have to cut it in the right place so can glass the outside and the inside properly then fairing and filling and then paint and used parts of the old splash well to make the new one so that was easy and used some of the waste buts that got cut off . Any way email and i'll find my photos and give you the lay up I used .
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=tunnels;2699032]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tipitina View Post
    Interesting thought with the all glass transom. What does that layup schedule look like? What kind of resin? I'm intrigued enough to possibly try it...[/QUOTE

Try which one just solid glass transom or the whole new transom with shape also solid glass ?? send private message will give you my email address so I can send pictures of the shape and give you the lay up !! I used a 115 25 inch vee 4 Yamaha so was way strong enough and with the set back didn't need a bracket to get the distance I wanted !I ended up with more cockpit room a much smaller splash well and better performance and a boat that's 100% glass and no wood anywhere to worry about for ever more !! its a good deal for sure , takes a little time , the main part can be made before hand so that saves a lot of time .glassing to where the old transom was is a piece of cake just have to cut it in the right place so can glass the outside and the inside properly then fairing and filling and then paint and used parts of the old splash well to make the new one so that was easy and used some of the waste buts that got cut off . Any way email and i'll find my photos and give you the lay up I used .
    Thanks that's very generous of you! I am sending a PM now.

Tip

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Tipitina;2699302]
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnels View Post

Thanks that's very generous of you! I am sending a PM now.

Tip
    there are no secrets its just plain good old common sense and is glass you can get from any supplier and resins are polyester mostly that are used or you can substitute it for Vinylester which is a better resin . No need for epoxy unless you what to spend a fortune !!
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotcha, what thickness glass tho? Biaxial? Any pictures to email or post would be great

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    double bias 45/45 and chopped strand are the two main glasses use as well as a small amount of 0/90 , and poly resin

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5