Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem. Heard Jay Smith say it before!
    current rides-
    DCB Mach 22, twin 2.5
    2002 Bullet 20 XDC
    1991 Checkmate Pulse 225 Promax
    Jamis Zenith Elite road bike-one old man power
    past rides- four stv's, one 21 liberator, one mirage and a glasstron and a few pontoon boats and a duck boat.
    past power-2.5's, 200, 260,280, drag. 3.0 L-225, 300x
    No more dirtbikes!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 96 model has on the clamp 6500 max rpm. ECU is A 17. Pretty sure it still is original. my merc tach want go but 6100. Bought a tiny tach and showed turning 6400. I'm tring to get a smaller prop to to verify limiter or what.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My A17s (got two) and my A32 will turn to ~6850 on the limilter with anything less that a 30" pitch wheel. Pretty sure the stock limiter is set some where near there....Not sure about the A6. Dutch is right, make sure your not propped to tall.
    Go Time
    2003XS GS 225 Promax/ 260 / 280
    26 Regulator twin 250 EFI

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ask "TEX" bout tha 2.5 ProMax junk! He's probably ran every complete motor (PM) and/or ecu combination you can think of on tha '94/'95 red Bullet he bought new, still has it, from 150's ta 225's. Think tha "original" '94/'95 225 was tha strongest (A6) of all of 'em......

'94/'95=First year of tha PM. Whatever it was. Gettin' a little foggy these daze.............
    Last edited by tlwjkw; 09-15-2014 at 10:41 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm having the same issue with mine. Been fighting it all summer. Mine pulls to about 5900 then it feels like it develops a miss. I've pretty much swapped everything except injectors from my old motor to try to narrow it down.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlwjkw View Post
    Ask "TEX" bout tha 2.5 ProMax junk! He's probably ran every complete motor (PM) and/or ecu combination you can think of on tha '94/'95 red Bullet he bought new, still has it, from 150's ta 225's. Think tha "original" '94/'95 225 was tha strongest (A6) of all of 'em......

'94/'95=First year of tha PM. Whatever it was. Gettin' a little foggy these daze.............
    Hey Tommy. Promax junk??? Those meds getting to you buddy??

We have plenty running real well.
    Like with everything in the life of a mechanical thing/part, some have issues/gremlins that can be hard to find. It is unfortunate that some are a distance away so one can physically help. It becomes extremely hard to trouble shoot via email or phone at times.

BTW, I will agree the early A6 box was a real good box but like everything, not all! Just like some A17 are also good which then were recalled to received the latest A32 program.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tux974 View Post
    Hey Tommy. Promax junk??? Those meds getting to you buddy??
    We are 'po assed 'ole farts on fixed gov handouts, so that's what ya do. Use up all tha junk! Well I use to anyway .......

Cut me off hydrocodone and it sucks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlwjkw View Post
    We are 'po assed 'ole farts on fixed gov handouts, so that's what ya do. Use up all tha junk! Well I use to anyway .......

Cut me off hydrocodone and it sucks
    I feel your pain, feel better.....
    I think many of us that know these motors well are reading but having a hard time responding because as you well know sometimes the simplest of things could be the culprit and with out having hands on to do the list of trouble shooting procedures as MUCH AS WE WANT TO HELP or say this is your problem it is extremely hard to do so.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Made it to Roys today and he gave a new fuel pump to try and also a diaphragm pulse pump rebuild kit..I'm hoping this will cure it..but will keep you all updated as to the progress.....But I've been all over this motor ...But the thing that has given me fits the most is that hidden micro filter that is inside the big line coming from the vst to the fuel pump..I'll bet the mercury engineers were laughing there ass off when they came up with this design...Thinking to themselves trouble shoot this mother F R...Lmao

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still haven't got to try her out...Had my heads cut a lill at a local machine shop .....Thank god I checked the cc volume and didn't waste a gasket....But they were a whopping 3 cc difference in one side to the other...so what's that a lill over 40,000 enth diff ...That's just pure I don't give a **** and scratch my head and ass and wonder ...Well Why...Well Why are all the jobs being shipped over seas..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tommy is old like me now i dont know for sure how many Pmaxs ive tweeked in the last 19 years the best ECU ive ever owned was on it new A 6 1995 225 new, it twisted 7000 any time you stabbed it ( but not with a 28 pitch prop)most times 26 or 27 it lost a few100 rpm s with the 27 ive had 3 Brucatos on this boat set how ever its was set and with several motors they never twisted 7000 ever, even above the pad 1" plus, im running a A32 on this cut on pmax now with 155 lbs comp , i also have a 17 which came on the 1997 models i think maybe 96 NEITHER ONE will twist past 6750, the block has been port matched and the exhaust cavity has the nicest port job ive ever seen by any one ( James Perrys work) also some stuff has been cut in other places, ive run 16amp stuff which twist higher then the electrics off a 40 amp will allow ,my 6 had a 2.4 on the cover so Mother merc strikes again i finally got talked out of it a few years ago wish i had it back

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ONLY way I can stop my 40 amp stator 225 promax from slamming into the 7200 limiter is by using my now dearly departed 32 pitch mach 4 prop ( I loved that prop ) . It stopped at 6600. Otherwise its parked at 7200 all day long until my gas tanks runs dry no matter what prop gets on there. 138 lbs of compression, Brucatto black box ACU, Carson spacer and reeds 40 lbs fuel pressure. I am using a 2:1 CLE so its easier that way .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heading to garage now ...rebuilt the pulse pump and putting on a newer fuel pump. So I should definitely find out some more info today..I should have an update in a few hours..Thanks yall

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pulse pump is the first thing I change every year never more than 2 because the little spring looses its ability supply the demand to the VST in the upper rpm. But it usually runs out at wot on take off if you haven't been idling to long to let it fill the vst before ya take off again. If the vst has had a chance to fill it will show its self latter when it runs out like your describing. {very Common}I bought a stronger spring for mine and it has worked great. i just looked at a bunch of springs and played with them till I could find one just a little better feeling. :] Hope its fuel delivery for ya and you get her done. That little mod i showed ya I did helps spool things up also. Engine hight ,props,after market Cowl, and trim all have an effect also. my bobs cowl was choking my motor out not letting air get in enough. I drilled some holes in it and was night and day. The stock cowls have air chambers built into them and redirect air were it should go. Bobs is just a shell.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i will add this is a 20 ' Bullet rigged to fish, trolling motor 3 battery's and just about 1/2 of all the tackle Bass-pro shop sells in a year nation wide , not a small lite boat and i will say these were ALL Promax's it was much different with the 260's and 280 that were on it from time to time and of course the 300x mota was a different story all together!!!!! if i took out all tackle, battery's, seat, and things not screwed down just to see what it would run with a over the hub wheel raised 1 1/2 above bottom with 5 gallons of gas i dont remember it this was my fishing boat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast