Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by something2do; 09-10-2014 at 09:27 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so now that the motor runs like a crazy horse, I am of course pessimistic and worried about blowing it up! (How did I get this way?) I am assuming that if I had a major cooling issue, that I would have known that yesterday while running all over the lake at WOT.

A little background - I have a new waterpump (impeller and housing, whole kit), new water lines, new thermostats, and new poppet valve kit. When I got the motor it only had one temp sender on the starboard cylinder bank. I tested the system by grounding the tan wire and the overheat light and buzzer sounded loudly. Because I am paranoid, I put in another temp sender in the Port cylinder bank and wired it in with the starboard one. My thought was that if either head began to overheat, I would now know it.

The stream out the back is not as strong as my 110 Evinrude. Here is a video of the stream at idle:

http://youtu.be/-WYSeKGBllc
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-WYSeKGBllc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would like to put a temperature gauge on the boat. Would I have to put one on for each head and have two gauges? What about a water pressure sensor? Sorry if I sound like a paranoid nutcase, but after all the money, blood and sweat I have poured into this motor I don't want to melt it - and I like to run really fast for fun!

Thanks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by something2do View Post
    Ok, so now that the motor runs like a crazy horse, I am of course pessimistic and worried about blowing it up! (How did I get this way?) I am assuming that if I had a major cooling issue, that I would have known that yesterday while running all over the lake at WOT.

A little background - I have a new waterpump (impeller and housing, whole kit), new water lines, new thermostats, and new poppet valve kit. When I got the motor it only had one temp sender on the starboard cylinder bank. I tested the system by grounding the tan wire and the overheat light and buzzer sounded loudly. Because I am paranoid, I put in another temp sender in the Port cylinder bank and wired it in with the starboard one. My thought was that if either head began to overheat, I would now know it.

The stream out the back is not as strong as my 110 Evinrude. Here is a video of the stream at idle:

I would like to put a temperature gauge on the boat. Would I have to put one on for each head and have two gauges? What about a water pressure sensor? Sorry if I sound like a paranoid nutcase, but after all the money, blood and sweat I have poured into this motor I don't want to melt it - and I like to run really fast for fun!

Thanks.
    The tell-tale stream is only water that is let off by the thermostats. It's never a real strong stream, and there isn't supposed to be. It won't stream at all until the engine warms up. The best use is to know when your engine is warmed up enough at the ramp to blast off without suffering a cold seize.
    To fish or not to fish? What a STUPID question.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks that is a big relief. I'm going to try to install a temperature gage and I think that'll give me a little more comfort. I am also going to install the water pressure gauge. I am guessing that is supposed to tee into the water lines coming off of the thermostat?

what pressure should I see for a normal operating engine?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, that spot doesn't represent the water pressure any more than a T in the drain of a sink represents the water pressure at the faucet.

On top of the block, just aft the flywheel, there is a pipe plug. You pull that plug and install an adapter for your pressure gauge.
    Water pressure can vary widely from engine to engine. Generally speaking, anything on the gauge at idle is good. It'll increase with rpm until it hits the setting of the poppet valve, then suddenly drop a few pounds. Then it increases again with higher RPMs.

Mostly the water gauge is what you watch as you're trimming for a fast run. If the pressure starts to drop and get erratic, you're too high with your current water intake setup.

Once you know how your engine's water pressure behaves, you'll notice any change and that's the clue to find out why.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks JMartin,

I found the plug you were referring to. I have an extra water pressure gauge that I am going to try and install this week. I am guessing i can make my own fitting to the engine with brass plumbing parts from Home depot and use pitot tubing for the connection to the gauge.

I am having trouble locating the temperature sender/gauge setup that will allow me to monitor engine temp. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are normally two sensors on the heads of a V6, one on each head. One is the OT alarm switch, and the other is the temp gauge sender. It's probably already there. Look in your harness diagram. There should be a wire under the dash for a temp gauge. Both OT alarm and Temp gauge are tan. If one has a blue stripe, that's the switch.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think i have the same issue with fuel around the bowl vents. what exactly causes it? just need to go through the carbs and make sure everything is right? im having a hard start issue after it sits a few days. made a thread about right before i saw this thread. my jet ski experience points me right at needles and seats but ive never had these carbs apart.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Red,

Sent you a PM. We can talk about it there if you would like. I rebuilt the carbs with new kits and lowered my floats so that they were barely visible when holding the bowl upside down, but I still get a little fuel there. I think most of this comes from running down the highway with the motor tilted up. To be sure, I lowered the motor level in the driveway, removed the airbox cover and wiped out all the excess fuel in the carbs that I could see. I then ran the motor on the muffs to be sure the fuel was not still pooling there. If it doesn't, you are probably just getting it from the tilting action - if you are still getting pooling fuel, then you might have a stuck needle/seat or the floats are set too high.

I have also read (not experienced) that if fuel is spitting/spraying out the front of the carbs while running, it could be bad reeds. Some of the way more experienced on this forum can confirm or rebuke that information. I am like you and working on limited experience, but gaining - keep learning and don't take it to the mechanic.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    email sent. thanks for a help.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CANT time engine with boxes hooked up ! i have 84 150 25 too much 84 only has idle box

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ave same motor#6465 floats should hang down when inverted did you disconnect stsbilizer box when timing? check timing pointer has not moved check gas tANK VENT & fuel filters

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrikirchner, do you realize this is a 2 1/2 year old thread you brought to the top?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3