Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Barry,

I realize that these boats are measured by more than just straightaway speed. (turning, acceleration and top end all play into a champion class boat). But to me the Kilo is the one that matters and that top end number and driver per class would be nice to see somewhere in records visible to the public.

Now running 2 laps or 3 laps or 4 laps whatever is a good indicator of the best boat on the circuit, but it really does not get my blood pumping to read about those records. I also realize the best kilo boat may get spanked in actual racing.

The kilo record is a huge accomplishment I think. I don't want to downplay the other records either, its just Kilo is what is exciting to me. Even the 1/4 mile speeds don't interest me that much.

If there was one record to be seen in all classes going back to the big bang of APBA then Kilo would be it . The rest could follow into the books if time permitted. but Kilo should be remembered.

Did I say kilo enough

Thanks
    Conrad
    L6fan57-88

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Setting a kilo record is tough, for sure--especially in the more popular classes. But make no mistake, going for a course record whether it be a 1 mile, 1-1/2 mile or 1-2/3 mile course was difficult as heck too. Not only did you have to have your setup, punch and top end right on the money, the course conditions had to be just right too. Then, can't remember how many times we ran a record surveyed course, several records set, only to have them disqualified at the end of the day because the course was not surveyed/set up correctly.

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Before we went metric, there were mile straightaway records

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if or when the rules changed, but I recall back in the early 1980s you could not attempt an APBA kilo record unless you were an active participant in the class. Believe you had to have a certain points standing or have some top three finishes or something. You couldn't just show up and set a kilo record.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before we went metric, there were mile straightaway records
    I assume that there are straightaway records going back to the dawn of time for APBA. Kilo or Mile timing spacing could be a side note next to the records. It does not really change the result after the math is done. Sam, why did the APBA switch to metric?, was it European influence?

Holding on for a mile vs a kilo on the edge of control would require about 40 percent more nerve I would imagine.

Running a kilo vs a mile shortens the duration enough at speed to probably make it a bit safer.

A 120 mph boat would have to hold 120 mph average for 30 seconds to be timed in a standing mile.

A 120 mph boat would only have to hold 120 mph ave for around 19 seconds in a standing kilo.

C
    Last edited by milkdud; 01-03-2015 at 12:23 AM.
    L6fan57-88

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryStrawn View Post
    I don't know if or when the rules changed, but I recall back in the early 1980s you could not attempt an APBA kilo record unless you were an active participant in the class. Believe you had to have a certain points standing or have some top three finishes or something. You couldn't just show up and set a kilo record.
    That is correct; the rules are more relaxed now. Not 100% sure, but I think now all you have to be is a regular APBA racing member in the category.

You are right Conrad, the kilo is much easier to set due to the shorter time period thru the traps.

Another consideration is the entire course is usually 3 times the record length ... a kilo to run up to speed and enter the measured section and a kilo to slow down after ... the mile courses were 3 miles long. Kilos are a lot easier to find water for and operate.

I haven't looked at the rule books in a few years, I don't know if there is any reason that mile straightaway records can't still be run, but the popularity with the clubs setting them up is easy to understand. For a while there were both distances in the books ... along with hour/3 hour/5 hour/6 hour type records

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 1/4 mile records shown are newer.. They are not standing start drag racing but just like the kilo and mile straightaway records, long running start and long shutdown with
    only a 1/4 mile timed trap, with a 2-way average. I think this came out as a way for some clubs to hold record runs on there local shorter courses. What confuses me is
    the OPC class records set with straight - line hydro hulls. I know that by the rules they can be run but that seems a little odd. APBA can be so strict on some issues, and
    then on some things ???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Powercat View Post
    The 1/4 mile records shown are newer.. They are not standing start drag racing but just like the kilo and mile straightaway records, long running start and long shutdown with
    only a 1/4 mile timed trap, with a 2-way average. I think this came out as a way for some clubs to hold record runs on there local shorter courses. What confuses me is
    the OPC class records set with straight - line hydro hulls. I know that by the rules they can be run but that seems a little odd. APBA can be so strict on some issues, and
    then on some things ???
    Classes have pretty much always been V hull vs anything goes; catamarans, tunnel hulls, hydros, wings, outriggers etc are allowed together in certain classes separate from V hull classes. That's pretty much been the only hull restriction - ever.

I don't see how this can be interpreted as being strict or lax

Safety rules, esp changing safety rules have probably driven more racers out of racing than anything else

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the day, yes, you had to have run in an APBA sanctioned circle track event to try for a kilo. I think Jim Merten went to some backyard event in MN with top equipment and raced prior to establishing the 136 record at Kaukauna.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Subscribed. Gary
    "12" Super Lite Tunnel (11') "88" 25 Yammy twin carb "BANANA SPLIT"
    "77" Hydrostream Viper "87" 140 Rude heavy modded w/15" mid, Bobs nose and lwp "DANGER ZONE"
    "72" Checkmate MX-13 "80" 75 Rude w/15"mid and Nitro Lu (to be restored)

"Too much is never enough" Keith Richards " Dreams become reality via hard work and perseverance" G.A.Carbonneau

"This coming from an old man that strapped two bananas together, hung a motor on it and calls it a boat" XstreamVking

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the Kilo and 1/4 mile records that have been set in OPC for the last 26 or so years have been with standard circle boats.
    Not many people willing to put up the money for a hydro Kilo or 1/4 mile boat that runs once a year.
    Our team set the SST-60 1/4 mile speed record in 2013 with the standard setup & much higher pitch prop.
    Mark N
    "I'ma motorboatin' sonuvabitch!"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Powercat View Post
    the OPC class records set with straight - line hydro hulls.??
    Exactly. They just started doing that to increase participation at existing events and to pull in additional racers. Great idea on ABPBA's part.

As to the 3 point hydro's running Kilo's, that's always been legal in the "air entrapment" classes as far as I know. Back in the day, all the OPC tunnel boat records were set by 3 points known as "Kilo Boats". As Sam says though, the days of having a special boat are dead and gone. You could normally tell by the hull manufacturer listed on the record.
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MN4V View Post
    Our team set the SST-60 1/4 mile speed record in 2013 with the standard setup & much higher pitch prop.
    Mark N
    Killer! Congratulations.

A Kilo record was always my dream when racing kneel down. I had a 20 Hydro running a couple of MPH's over the record according to my Kellar speedometer. Unfortunately I couldn't afford to find out how far off my meter was
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MN4V View Post
    All the Kilo and 1/4 mile records that have been set in OPC for the last 26 or so years have been with standard circle boats.
    Not many people willing to put up the money for a hydro Kilo or 1/4 mile boat that runs once a year.
    Pretty sure there have been some special kilo boats in some of the smaller classes in the past 5 years.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John McCall built a number of kilo boats. Several of these were for Paul Angel and his driver Bobby Drewery. My SE McCall was based on one of those boats but with a bottom design that would go around corners. I have seen a picture on another site of this boat setting the SE kilo record.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast