Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be upfront, I intend this to be constructive, I apologize if this is taken wrong by anyone.
    In road racing cars the elders have a saying, "Remember when sex was safe and racing was dangerous?" It took many decades to achieve this in cars. Safety is a reactionary and evolutionary process of development. One thing we finally had to give into was there is a weight gain needed to make vehicles safe. I keep hearing that proper safety capsules will make the boats heavy. My thoughts are to get over it. I build race cars and have become used to what I add to them to insure my drivers make it back to work after every event. I will never skimp on what is needed. I have lived through a hard crash myself.
    If race capsules are claimed to be safe, in large boats I do not see this is fully achieved yet. Give in and add the structure needed to make the boats really safe.
    IF pleasure boats are to be enclosed, either have them withstand all foreseeable impact loads or give them big windows, good airconditioning and state that they are not built to racing standards. These to me are like running 200+ in a car with no safety devices, you will make the headlines someday.

It may be possible some of the development costs could be shared with some of the large insurance companies. Unless these boats are self insured It may be possible that a million up front may well save the companies many millions over the years in dealing in the horrors we just witnessed, and will again.

I mean no disrespect to anyone in the industry, the fans of or any family or relation to anyone affected.
    Racing and any high speed sport will never be safe, and we will never quit playing with our toys that go fast nor will we stop further development to go faster or improve safety.
    Regards,
    Charlie North
    If it ain't broke, modify it.
    80 21' Superboat with Yamaha 225 Excel power
    76 Glastron to be powered by a 6.2 L92 with surface drive
    87 Glastron CVX20 Hull

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can never find the right words to explain the loss of a fellow boater who passed doing what he loved best. So my prayers go out to the family and friends. Comfort his family and friends with stories of how he lived ,laughed, helped, busted your chops, vacations ect. I never met the man yet looking at his boat sent me dreaming what it would be like to cruise around and have everyone waving and smiling wishing they could be on his boat. What a compliment to him and his passion.
    THE BEST PART OF LIFE IS SPENT ON THE WATER

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The crazy thing is the boat was safe. They survived the crash. I thought I read he passed from a complication from surgery.
    Prayers to the family.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ActiveFun View Post
    I thought I read he passed from a complication from surgery.
    Prayers to the family.
    Yes that is true.
    Regards,
    Charlie North
    87 Glastron CVX20 Hull

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If a safe capsule is desired, just investigate the F-1 H2O boats that race overseas. They are built like helmets - two carbon layers sandwiching a foam core to absorb the impact forces. Much different than the U.S. race series boats!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidlake View Post
    If a safe capsule is desired, just investigate the F-1 H2O boats that race overseas. They are built like helmets - two carbon layers sandwiching a foam core to absorb the impact forces. Much different than the U.S. race series boats!
    They're called "crash boxes", and they work very well!.......... And if installed WITHIN the capsuled cockpit of an offshore boat, I think these guys would be surviving these crashes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 140314dohaube099.jpg   f1h2osimon_0148.jpg  
    Last edited by Rayzor; 08-28-2014 at 01:58 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love watching these boats. I spent most of the day watching the live link. Next year I may plan a trip to see it in person, I'm a big fan of what these teams do. Thanks for putting on such a good show.

As long as people are respectful I see no harm in talking about a major crash like this. Awareness and coversations about tragic events can lead to good things.

Most of us are not equipped to personally make changes, but encouraging and talking about safety is never bad. Seeing things like makes me take note for sure.
    I hate to see this happen to anyone, it painful to watch.

I wish the family well, sorry for your loss.

C
    Last edited by milkdud; 08-28-2014 at 05:58 PM.
    L6fan57-88

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    First off my sincere condolences to Mikes family, and all involved friends. RIP Mike.

Yes it was VERY tragic event. But been thinking this a lot. Have to say in the racing scene 50 years, Drag racing, cage or bikes, Motos, ice bikes, boats, I never lost a friend. But MANY killed in either sickness, or traffic accidents (or Nam) way too young.

But the boats now are going so damn fast think a bit here. Now this is just a thought me, mean no harm, but let's stop "reactive" think "after" Go "proactive".

When something like that day happens, the "oh chit" moment? Best for a way to get OUT the boat, and ya all know hitting water at who knows how much speed scrubbed of in the air them, but hitting the water at speed like hitting cement.

I'm thinking do like fighter jets. A moment where.."this went end well"? Do a blow off canopy, and ejection seat, with the out of control boat hit that big red handle yank. I don't care if even upside down, as you will survive hitting the water way better than.."staying with the boat impact slamming into the water"

Ya can always build a new boat, but not the "innovater"

Still sad to here the outcome this. Never met the man, but he was doing what he loved. May he rest in peace, with a smile ya can't wipe off, as .."wow was THAT a ride!"

Ya all be well, have a great Labor Day W/E. When out in the boat, pop a top, say a prayer for Mike, and a "tilt salute" to him. Know I will...........Robby

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...Robby, you hit it on the nose Brother. I took my newly rebuilt old azz Contender out this afternoon and made some test passes on the Hitchcock Diversionary canal and when she came up a bit too high at speed the only thing that came to mind was that blow over.
    ....I backed her down and thought about what I saw Saturday morning on the stream and put her on the trailer.
    RIP to his Family and Friends due to this untimely loss.
    I'll be in my Skeeter big boat this weekend going slow me thinks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston340 View Post
    ...Robby, you hit it on the nose Brother. I took my newly rebuilt old azz Contender out this afternoon and made some test passes on the Hitchcock Diversionary canal and when she came up a bit too high at speed the only thing that came to mind was that blow over.
    ....I backed her down and thought about what I saw Saturday morning on the stream and put her on the trailer.
    RIP to his Family and Friends due to this untimely loss.
    I'll be in my Skeeter big boat this weekend going slow me thinks.
    Whats the azz end motor the "contender? Milkdud has a XS his, and cracked the 80mph it. Well versed that hull me too. As I love small fast over powered fast "water go karts"! But my 15 foot Flatty (avatar), still scares me now..(age, as not a kid anymore, but aint growing up just yet) crap out me as twin fins under the hull, and old Merc rotary single cable steer. At WOT, and lay off the gas to see a turn? Goes to a point where spins fast! And will spit me out fast if cable steer broke, motor torque? If so, I would not be saying this now.

But its OK to 'Push the envelope", just stay CONSTANT attention the "this is fun"

As one day leaving here for a 10 day MC ride coast down to Ca. Before hitting the way out me, the rural Fire Station here had a reader board front, new "saying's weekly". We left for the ride south and what did the board say?

"At any given time things can go horribly wrong fast..stay vigilant"

But me is just beware the "what if" now....but don't dwell it either. Just be "aware".
    Then simple ""foot it!"...as its whats its all about anyway.

Again condolences all..simple a sad "ending" RIP Mike...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayzor View Post
    They're called "crash boxes", and they work very well!.......... And if installed WITHIN the capsuled cockpit of an offshore boat, I think these guys would be surviving these crashes.
    These are better then ever before but still there is an issue with the cockpit opening.
    A F2 racer was killed earlier this year and watching the vid the boat hit the water sideways and going downhill so the canopy took the hit so the driver got a face full.
    The strength that you are required to build into these safety cells is all about stopping another boat driving through your cockpit and that was done by calculation.
    I wonder about the calculations used on these big cats as whenever they go in upside down there has been a problem with structural failure.
    Hulls have been refined after years of failures which rarely resulted in bad accidents but the deck only gets tested in an accident!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am not the greatest with words, and a condolence card just wouldn't send the message I wanted to send to the Fiore & Whipple Families .
    Therefore I put my best into a forever memorable display of Mike Fiore's hard work.
    I have been shooting his boats for the last 10 plus years.... I did my best to include a piece from each year. ...
    My thoughts and prayers ......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is nice, to me it is touching and for one it shows how much he got done in his short life.
    Regards,
    Charlie North
    87 Glastron CVX20 Hull

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very well done, very well said.
    Hard time for the family.
    Stay strong, take care of each other.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey-Images View Post
    I am not the greatest with words, and a condolence card just wouldn't send the message I wanted to send to the Fiore & Whipple Families .
    Therefore I put my best into a forever memorable display of Mike Fiore's hard work.
    I have been shooting his boats for the last 10 plus years.... I did my best to include a piece from each year. ...
    My thoughts and prayers ......

Greg should take that picture and put it up top like off shore only did .... Rip
    1990 hydrostream virage diamondpower280

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast