Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nine Paged V 4

I've got a nine paged V 4 140 X flow that I bought after it was built, but never run. I mounted it on a padded 16' Sidewinder Low Pro that used to have an old 115 X flow. After trying the 3 props I have that fit the motor, I can't seem to get it to rev anywhere above 6100 rpms. Hell, my stock 115 would do that.

It's got 1 3/8" carbs, 67 mains, and 140 compression on all 4. WOT timing is at 22 degrees The props I've tried are a 21 stock OMC, a 22" raker, and a 25" SRX.

Am I missing something here in the set up? I was told this engine would be a screamer all the way to 7500 revs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Limiter (don't think they ever had one on a V-4), timing, or toooooo much fuel would be my guess
    I have a boat or two.... that I never get to drive

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schramer View Post
    Limiter (don't think they ever had one on a V-4), timing, or toooooo much fuel would be my guess
    The Rev limiters were built into the power packs. There are unlimited packs available from CDI . Don't know about the factory limiters and which power pack part numbers came with or without them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wired247 View Post
    The Rev limiters were built into the power packs. There are unlimited packs available from CDI . Don't know about the factory limiters and which power pack part numbers came with or without them.
    I'm pretty sure they never had limited packs or at least not until the later years for sure....and I doubt they would be over 6k to boot but I'm just takin a stab at it. I would assume fuel cause any X-flow I ever had that wouldn't rev was due to too much fuel but dont go and start leaning it out b4 checkin it over closely 1st 58Evinrude lol! 22 degrees of timing should be enough to get her to rev but it could prob use a lil more if ya have some good fuel....what carbs?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure they never had limited packs or at least not until the later years for sure....and I doubt they would be over 6k to boot but I'm just takin a stab at it. I would assume fuel cause any X-flow I ever had that wouldn't rev was due to too much fuel but dont go and start leaning it out b4 checkin it over closely 1st 58Evinrude lol! 22 degrees of timing should be enough to get her to rev but it could prob use a lil more if ya have some good fuel....what carbs?
    OMC 4 cylinder power packs were limited at 5800, 6700, unlimited and you guessed it...6100. CDI makes replacement powerpacks in 5800, 6100, 6700 (S.L.O.W. what a ****ty acronym) and unlimited. 140's used 6100 packs.

The CDI part number for unlimited power packs is 113-2125

https://www.marinepartssource.com/pa...mfgno=113-2125
    Last edited by wired247; 08-01-2014 at 10:13 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried dropping the main jets down to #60's tonite, that didn't change anything. It has a 70's ignition on it, the one with the coils mounted on a horseshoe on the block, and a "wire it yourself" power pack. From what I can find, these don't have limiters. It's got the 1 3/8" carbs, with only the idle and main jets, no intermediate jets.

I'm going to put the 67's back in the carbs, and set the timing up to about 26 degrees tomorrow. I'll have a good look at the ignition as well, and if I have to change it, I've got a complete system here for a 1991 115.

I'll keep you posted

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wired247 View Post
    OMC 4 cylinder power packs were limited at 5800, 6700, unlimited and you guessed it...6100. CDI makes replacement powerpacks in 5800, 6100, 6700 (S.L.O.W. what a ****ty acronym) and unlimited. 140's used 6100 packs.

The CDI part number for unlimited power packs is 113-2125

https://www.marinepartssource.com/pa...mfgno=113-2125
    I was unaware they ever made a limited pack for an X-flow which I believe ended in 84 and switched to loopers of which I have limited knowledge of....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 58Evinrude View Post
    I tried dropping the main jets down to #60's tonite, that didn't change anything. It has a 70's ignition on it, the one with the coils mounted on a horseshoe on the block, and a "wire it yourself" power pack. From what I can find, these don't have limiters. It's got the 1 3/8" carbs, with only the idle and main jets, no intermediate jets.

I'm going to put the 67's back in the carbs, and set the timing up to about 26 degrees tomorrow. I'll have a good look at the ignition as well, and if I have to change it, I've got a complete system here for a 1991 115.

I'll keep you posted
    Well they def never made a limited pack for the boomerangs and don't think cdi ever did in an aftermarket setting either.....regardless they only made the 1 3/8" V-4 carbs in 78 and 79....I never heard anyone say they had much fun dealing with those but still don't think they are your sole problem....Maybe Wired is right

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was unaware they ever made a limited pack for an X-flow which I believe ended in 84 and switched to loopers of which I have limited knowledge of....

Crossflow OMC V4's were built well into the late 90's. The late 115 was basically the same motor as the earlier 140 but with a little lower compression and lower rpm limited power packs. The 120 and 140 V4 loopers started in '84 but they continued with the crossflows until '97 or so.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ya I was going to correct myself....the 140 X-flows ended in 84 but they did make 115 (net hp) till 93 or 4 I thought.....I suffer from CRS LOL
    Last edited by Schramer; 08-02-2014 at 12:35 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well they def never made a limited pack for the boomerangs and don't think cdi ever did in an aftermarket setting either.....regardless they only made the 1 3/8" V-4 carbs in 78 and 79....I never heard anyone say they had much fun dealing with those but still don't think they are your sole problem....Maybe Wired is right

1 3/8" carb'd 140 crossflows continued through '84. Got a set off a '81 140 in a drawer out in the garage.They really didnt run any different than the 1 5/16" carbs though as far as Ive seen. OMC was all over the place with carb venturi's. Ive seen 90's with 1 5/16" carbs and 115's with 1 1/4"'s.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have def seen OMC all over the place....the CCC and RS motors were made in a huge variety of goodies....but haven't seen as many stock motors with all the weird combos but believe it as I have seen it elsewhere as they prob just used whatever they had when they ran outta the proposed parts.....just usually by the time I see them they r modded up and mutant lol!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMC made X flows much later than 84.. I've got a 1991 sitting on the rack with a blown block. But it has a complete ignition system, with a 6800 limiter power pack. I might just switch the whole works onto the 'paged' 140.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More tinkering.. I set the timing up to 24 degrees, and changed the power pack for another old one I had. No difference, still stuck at 6100. After I put the 67 jets back in, I'm gonna bolt a 19 aluminum prop on it and see if it revs. It should go high enough with that to blow it to the moon!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You need to check stator voltage output if it does not have at least 250 volts it will not turn up like it should. You may also need to change the set up to get it to run like it should. If it is ported correctly assembled correctly with proper ignition and fuel it should have no trouble turning 7k

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast