Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sportmaster fat shaft assembly question

Hey All,

I just finished putting together a 2.5 1.87 sporty with all new bearings, seals and new fat propshaft. I am using a bearing carrier from a 3.0L Torque master case which is the same part number and measures the same as another couple I have around here. shimming and backlash is perfect, driveshaft end play is .0005. My concern is that even with the new needle bearings in the fwd gear and the bearing carrier I have some side to side and up and down play in the new propshaft at the bearing carrier bearing area. I went into all my manuals but cannot find any specs on that measurement. I measure another couple used shafts at the bearing carrier bearing area and they are a couple tenths off 1.250".

rgds,

Dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes I checked that tried two carriers same scenario i also tried torquing the cover nut to check it, I can see the play at the B.C. seals when I wiggle the prop shaft. I took another needle bearing new out of the bag and slid it on the propshaft and there is quite a bit of play when on the shaft. This case is in nice shape and has less than 50 original hours of run time on it.