Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More fuel or air?

Hello outboard Gurus , I have a 91 Evinrude V6 , I recently noticed that my carburetor throttle plates were not perpendicular in relation to the front edge of the intake at WOT. I adjusted the accelerator linkage to make them so. Excited to run it and find a new increased performance level, I took it to the lake . After running a little while at medium speeds I eased her up to WOT . What happens next is puzzling to me. The last bit of acceleration the motor actually declined . If I let off the throttle just a little she would regain RPM slowly. I took the carb cover off again and verified that the throttle plates are true with each other and not going past perpendicular and it is fine.What can be the problem ? I appreciate any insight you could offer, thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iirc the top opens perpendicular and the others 3/4 or somesuch. Did it mess up the idle bad? And create gas rings in the water?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a Guru, but sounds like you're not getting enough fuel at WOT. Check fuel flow. You might be sucking the bowls dry and as you let off throttle they are able to fill and regain RPM. Are you using a fuel/water separator filter?
    Last edited by frederick55; 07-31-2014 at 04:25 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks MOTV18 and Frederick55 ,The answer to 3/4 on some plates is all six are perfect with each other and no oil sheen around motor.The idle is unchanged and is very good , she does not spit,sputter or die.
    I am using a omc water/separator filter, I had a friend squeeze the bulb while running and it is not soft and did not seem to make any difference.I did recently have a top mechanic well known in the Evinrude community overhaul them. The float adjustment does concern me a little. I feel that if the bowls were drying up I wouldn't be able to hold 5700 rpm's long and she does.If I back down 500 rpm's and run for a while and punch it I can still get the lag even before climbing back up. Currently I am running a 22 pitch raker and the motor will accelerate within seconds from 5000 to 5700 rpm's.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would read the pistons then if your familer with that. I would go with lean sinnce the butterfly is fully open now.

I did this with my 88 nissan 50 the bottom carb has a stop lever so i thought ohh more power and i got it. I also lost control of idel and it wouldnt idle more then a min without flooding. Thats when i found out it was a 1+1 idles on one cylinder. Sound like your good though.

Might try adjusting the high screw out some. Iirc thats to enrichen. Dont lean unless your positive its rich. Or poof boom.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds very much like it is leaning out.

Be very careful - you may burn a piston.
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you mean read the pistons ? Similar to observing plug coloration ? thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, look in the plug hole at the piston. Supposed to be a small ring of clean and the main area black to much clean is aaa. Whears that thread dont want to state wrong.