Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you're close to narrowing it down. From the sounds of things I'd be willing to bet your warning horn isn't functional, don't forget to troubleshoot that issue.

Another hint on that old yammie.... pull the poppet and make sure it moves freely. Corrosion builds up between the grommet and exhaust water jacket, swelling the grommet and preventing the poppet from moving freely. Can and will cause overheating issues......many powerheads died due to this.

Again, GOOD LUCK!!!,
    Mike Dowling

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good call on his warning horn, mine was inop. I replaced it with a bright red LED light on the panel and have seen it on when the engine did not come up on water pressure after a first start of an outing.
    Regards,
    Charlie North
    If it ain't broke, modify it.
    80 21' Superboat with Yamaha 225 Excel power
    76 Glastron to be powered by a 6.2 L92 with surface drive
    87 Glastron CVX20 Hull

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are awesome I will be back at it again tomorrow. Luckily this motor has never been a salty. I am going to pull the poppets and tstats just to be sure. I don't believe the warning horn is working either.

I am hoping this yammy will make a great motor for a long time, and since it is going on a boat that weighs 960 lbs it should push it along fairly well. Its an 18' Deep V so the boat isn't exactly designed to be a speed demon, right now the tubers are getting board tubing behind the pontoon with an 88 special. The hope is the StarCraft with the 150 Yammy might be a little more exciting.

I do see her in the future getting some Chris Carson Reeds, 175hp carbs, and probably high compression head gaskets.

Here is to hoping that somewhere down the road I can help pass some knowledge on to someone else as well.
    Last edited by SigSaurP228; 07-31-2014 at 09:42 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    34 carbs from an Excel or the 32 from a 200 are good choices. The 175 has oddball jetting.
    Last edited by CharlieN; 08-01-2014 at 06:30 AM.
    Regards,
    Charlie North
    87 Glastron CVX20 Hull

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reed cages from most any other engine will give you 8 petals.

A set of 6K700 heads from an Excel is a good choice for compression.

The ports in this engine are the same as in similar years 200, only the exhaust has compression relief slots. No issues with them, supposed to let the engine idle all day long.

The only restrictive part left is the tuner, it will be capping the power to about 5K revs, but for your needs this might be a good thing since it gives plenty of low end torque.

Do you know if the engine still has the original 2.0 gear ratio?
    I expect you will be looking at a 23 to 25 pitch prop to provide decent economy with a strong pu
    Regards,
    Charlie North
    87 Glastron CVX20 Hull

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not really sure how much I can do to the engine 150 is right at the absolute rated horsepower. Now some extra torque would be extremely nice as, i.have pulled skiers up to 375 lbs before. Putting my sister and another family member on our double person tube is 500+lbs.

I am the oddball in the family at 6'1" and 168 lbs.

That is why I decided to repower from the Johnson 115 v4 on it to the Yamaha. Plus who turns down a $200 150hp yammy anyways.

I want to run on pump gas, and want reliable and dependable. I have always been under the impression that boosting compression is where you gain the most for the $$$ spent.

Am I on the right train of thought.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 150 ProV is a 200hp engine that has been restricted down by the reed valves and small throat carbs.
    Old tests back when the engine was new were claiming 170 to 180ish power. Talk was Yamaha wanted the magazines to like them when they were bringing their own name in country.
    The change in carbs & reeds is claimed to offer a full 200 hp if not 210, I question that without changing the exhaust since that restricts the top end power.
    If you cruise at 3000 rpm you can get better fuel consumption with the less restricted intake. ( Not proven by me) I did not run the original intake enough to get fuel burn numbers and I rebuilt my hull at the same time with my boat loosing 400# during the job.
    This change does not change anything as far as the legal power bolted to the transom. Your insurance will not know.
    You will know when you pull up skiers. You may also find if your hull chinewalks or not.
    Run it the way it is, if it meets your needs then all is good. But if you want more, it is there.

Compression helps, the 225 heads do not go beyond any safe range. I run 91 oct non Ethanol and found by mistake my timing was up in the 29 to 30° range due to the markings not being accurate. My timming is now down to 22ish and have only done a short test outing so far since the change.
    Regards,
    Charlie North
    87 Glastron CVX20 Hull

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ss 18 runs 41 with a tuned up 115 and a 17" its a 73 though nice flat deadrise 3' or so from the transom forward. The 150 should move it well into the 50's nice and stable as well.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to get it tached out and gps on it but she freaking flies. She is turning a 21 pitch prop. Right now she is porpoising really bad. I am going to work out some trim issues and I am going to move the hpuse battery to the bow. If that doesn't fix it then I will be adding some smart tabs. Trimmed all the way in it raised yhe boat to about a 45 degree angle. When tje power comes on it really takes off.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting if that boat does not tolerate a 75ish pound weight increase back there.
    Do you have a live well up front you can fill for testing?
    Is there any rocker in the hull?
    Regards,
    Charlie North
    87 Glastron CVX20 Hull

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a real prop before you start moving around weight, bolting on tabs, etc. Attempting to trim a prop that doesn't bite will cause you to think you have other problems...... something with a good bit of rake and cup will work well on your cc. Yamaha pro series, merc laser, etc......
    Mike Dowling

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hull is good and flat, yesterday was the first day that I have ever actually test driven the boat it has been in dry dock for a year and a half under a rebuild. It quit porpoising so badly when i had my wife move up front. Plus I still have a trim problem its in the switch in the controls. I do have a lot of weight in the back though. I have the house and starting batteries, both group 29, I have an 18 gallon fuel tank, the yamaha oil tank, plus an extra 6 gallon oh crap tank. Plus the Yamaha is a big heavy motor.

Honestly yesterday was just a test run so I can really start to get things dialed in. I am certainly not displeased with how she did for a shakedown cruise and I do think with some refinements she is going to be a monster my sister is already stoked about tubing behind it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Early on when I was experimenting with props, I learned there was a dramatic difference between the black.as props and a real high performance prop such as those listed above. Yes, moving weight around will "help" with your current prop, but there is a lo t to be gained with a well designed prop. I run the same motor with a few mods on a much heavier cc, 1950# dry hull weight, 17'6" overall length. Runs consistently in the mid to high 50's with awesome hole shot. One of these days I'll finish the horizontal front half swap and tighter heads, should finally crack 60 after getting it propped right.

See if you can find a yamaha pro series 19 or 20, you will be surprised at how much things change..
    Mike Dowling

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike, I have the horizontal front on mine, still have the single outlet tuner though, 6K700 heads. Great power up to 5K then falls flat. I expect the tuner swap should change that.
    The horizontal swap is not bad, just a spacer for the throttle arm and adding stops for the ignition timing.
    Every vented prop I try needs the vents welded closed since the motor just spins them up. Once the vents are closed it pulls nice.
    Granted I have yet to try any real nice props but that needs to wait till spring when I swap the tuner as well as an Excel powerhead goes on.
    In my application the boat went from a 45mph to 60mph runner.
    Regards,
    Charlie North
    87 Glastron CVX20 Hull

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont disagree that a good prop can make a huge difference I just kind of want to make sure i get everything dialed in before dropping $300 on a prop. I can run the numbers all day but kind of need a starting point before dropping big money on an SS prop.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast