Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GT 150 Piston Ring Gap

Looking for a spec on piston ring gap for my 87 GT 150, model J150STLCUR. I'm rebuilding it and had it bored for .030 oversized pistons. I'll be using Persan pistons. Thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    General rule of ring gap for stock motors,.0035-.004 per inch of cylinder bore,so.013-.014 would be good...my opinion,Chris

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this a old thread but do those numbers still apply when going up to 145 compression and using Wiseco pistons in steel boars?
    1988 Bass Tracker 1800FS Tournament W/ Mercury 150 BlackMax 2.0
    With a need for speed!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Give a call…

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always let my Wiseco’s warm up good and proper before I get in it.
    1990 Shadow bass boat w/ 2.4 200 Merc. Totally resto'd boat and love it!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=SJD1974. I know this a old thread but do those numbers still apply when going up to 145 compression and using Wiseco pistons in steel bore?[/QUOTE]

Just to be clear when I posted my question I looked that it was a 150 didn't notice that it said 150gt. My question was for a 2l mercury.
    With a need for speed!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sjd, especially in cold water, it is important to build some heat in your motor before you throw the coal to it. That may mean a longer warm up than what you are used to if you are doing a blast off in a tournament. Just putting it out there that if you put all this time and effort and money into your motor, you do not want to get in a cold motor with Wiseco pistons. It takes a little discipline but I typically do not ever jump on a cold motor anyway.

And maybe I’m totally wrong and maybe I’m totally being cautious but I heard too many stories about cold seizing. I’m now two years on my rebuilt 2.4 and I swear it runs better every time I take it out.

Except for fuel. It drinks high octane like Ted Kennedy at an open bar. But I normally have it over 5000 RPMs also. That’s something to keep in mind before you raise your compression to 145. The days of 87 octane will be behind you.
    Last edited by rgsauger; 03-12-2023 at 10:38 AM.
    1990 Shadow bass boat w/ 2.4 200 Merc. Totally resto'd boat and love it!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=rgsauger;3381470]Sjd, especially in cold water, it is important to build some heat in your motor before you throw the coal to it. That may mean a longer warm up than what you are used to if you are doing a blast off in a tournament. Just putting it out there that if you put all this time and effort and money into your motor, you do not want to get in a cold motor with Wiseco pistons. It takes a little discipline but I typically do not ever jump on a cold motor anyway.

And maybe I’m totally wrong and maybe I’m totally being cautious but I heard too many stories about cold seizing. I’m now two years on my rebuilt 2.4 and I swear it runs better every time I take it out.

Except for fuel. It drinks high octane like Ted Kennedy at an open bar. But I normally have it over 5000 RPMs also. That’s something to keep in mind before you raise your compression to 145. The days of 87 octane will be behind you.[/QUOTe
    I've been running either rec fuel or 93 octane since I got the boat 2 year's ago. I have to reduce water input by putting plugs in some of 14 holes in the lower and sometimes reducing how much flows through the popet. I have stats in it.
    All the while watching water pressure.
    I have two forms of ways to monitor temp, head Temp sensor and a actual gage with reading's.
    With a need for speed!!