Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ain't a 'stream but still...

my son sold his v-king w/black max 150 to get a new toy, 93 baja 208 islander. he's doing a major resto with all composite stringers, bulkheads and floor. stringers/bulkheads are from http://www.preforms.com and the floor is baltek/airex pxc board, 3/4 inch thick. estimates 300-400 lbs weight reduction. also used 1708 and mas epoxy, lo viscosity resins. he's a west systems addict but this stuff is a lot better for wetting out cloth. comment welcome. and yeah, he still has a vector that he wants to redo with composite.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	derek boat.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	302082Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3432a.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	215.2 KB 
ID:	302078Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5260.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	426.4 KB 
ID:	302079Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5648a.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	343.0 KB 
ID:	302081
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5638a.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I threw up in my mouth a little when you said he sold his Vking for this, haha. Good to hear he has a Vector lined up next. My buddies have runabouts so I just party on theirs, I can understand that he wants to take more hunnies out. Work looks solid.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My comment, nice to see someone working with MAS. It is one of the better resins I have worked with over the years.

Personally I do not understand how West systems is still in business. It sticks to your tools and not to your parts, it is a heavy bodied resins that is slow to wet out and the cloth floats making for a very resin rich layup. And even with the slow hardener the resin kicked in the cup in 9 minutes. So much for an hour of work time.
    I have bought one quart of West to just try it for making a tool, I will never buy any again.

I have used many gallons of MAS and will continue with their products. I find it cost effective since each batch I mix gets used fully and the parts made are top quality be they a wet layup or infused.

Interesting to see the foam core structure used here. That boat should last a long time.
    Regards,
    Charlie North
    If it ain't broke, modify it.
    80 21' Superboat with Yamaha 225 Excel power
    76 Glastron to be powered by a 6.2 L92 with surface drive
    87 Glastron CVX20 Hull

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieN View Post
    My comment, nice to see someone working with MAS. It is one of the better resins I have worked with over the years.

Personally I do not understand how West systems is still in business. It sticks to your tools and not to your parts, it is a heavy bodied resins that is slow to wet out and the cloth floats making for a very resin rich layup. And even with the slow hardener the resin kicked in the cup in 9 minutes. So much for an hour of work time.
    I have bought one quart of West to just try it for making a tool, I will never buy any again.

I have used many gallons of MAS and will continue with their products. I find it cost effective since each batch I mix gets used fully and the parts made are top quality be they a wet layup or infused.

Interesting to see the foam core structure used here. That boat should last a long time.
    Damn, I like West Systems, have always had good success with it, my only complaint is priming the pump!! Guess I'll have to try MAS sometime!
    why ask me ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotta use a puddy knife or something to move the excess resin to dry areas. But I wanna try MAS too. West system works good thought. But too expensive
    1973 Viper - sold
    1978 Viking - sold
    1995 XB02

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MAS can cost more per gallon than many resins but each gallon goes further during a layup.
    I expect once you try most any of the thin resins you will understand how much better a layup can be compared to a West system layup.

How many times do you guys using West have to deal with fibers building up on your gloves and brush? That just does not need to happen.
    Regards,
    Charlie North
    If it ain't broke, modify it.
    80 21' Superboat with Yamaha 225 Excel power
    76 Glastron to be powered by a 6.2 L92 with surface drive
    87 Glastron CVX20 Hull

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanx for all the comments. like i said, derek has been working with west systems for about 17 years, mostly on hobie cats and a few repair jobs on bigger boats but he did all the research and decided to go with mas for this project. mas is the bomb for wetting out the 1708 cloth and it handles fillers just fine. if anybody wants to check out the project as it progresses, lemme know and i'll post the link