Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rebuild or buy a different motor. (Evinrude 150XP)

I have a 1990 150XP (crossflow) with one scored cylinder I was going to hone and re-ring and run on my 16ft Checkmate. I started putting it together and I just don't feel comfortable with the scratches in the cylinder wall remaining after the hone. I used a bottle brush followed by a plateau brush to hone it. I've heard all the pros and cons of these old crossflows and am staring to wonder if I should sell the parts and start from scratch. I have a Suzuki on it now that runs perfect but only runs about 55mph with a normal load. I already have OMC controls if that makes any difference. Also, I live in Myrtle Beach SC and need to find a machine shop if I'm going to rebuild this. The local automotive speed shop I have used for years can't bore a blind bore. Opinions?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are correct to be concerned. Any vertical scratches in the bore become a passageway for exhaust to migrate down the side of the piston to the ringsets. If overhauled the way it is, it may run fine at first, but the effects of the exhaust migration are cumulative over time. These crossflows tend to accumulate carbon on the ringsets anyway. No need to make it worse. There is no reason you cannot bore just the one bad cyl and put a .020 over piston 5006709 or a.030 over factory piston (5006667) in it. They weigh the same and have the same thermal expansion rate. Be sure you re-ring the other 5 cyls at the same time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Run it over to Paul Nichols shop in Soddy Daisy Tenn. He has the correct machine to bore and hone. His machinist is VERY GOOD.