Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bought a new toy and need your help.

Hello everyone. Its been a few years since I have posted on here and I hope all is well with everybody.

I have been a die hard twin big block offshore boater for 12 years and still have my blown Sunsation 32 Dominator along with my 78 Sanger SuperJet with was my late fathers. I have always wanted a outboard lake racer so I finally pulled the trigger and bought one. Its a beautiful 21ft Eliminator Daytona with a Mercury 2.4EFI Bridgeport which is in awesome condition!!!!!
    My question is does thing have the right prop? It currently is running a 26 pitch 3 blade chopper style prop and I am wondering if it should have a 28-30 pitch?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No input from anyone? Have I beened shunned or something. I can't believe nobody has any opinion.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ^ sounds a bit tall for that boat/ motor, maybe something in the 24 range, what kind of RPM's are you spinning now with current set up ?

The prop you mention thinking you need would be good to try foe strictly top end runs I would think...
    God, Country, and Fast Boats
    SPECIAL BOAT TEAM 12/ HSB'S SOC NSWU-1

Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. And when your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that they weep and pray for more time that they may live there life over in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a Hero going home.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by specboatops View Post
    ^ sounds a bit tall for that boat/ motor, maybe something in the 24 range, what kind of RPM's are you spinning now with current set up ?

The prop you mention thinking you need would be good to try foe strictly top end runs I would think...
    I just bought the boat Thursday and my first run is on Sunday. I was told by the pervious owner he was seeing mid 90's on the GPS.
    I will have more info after my run. I am new to the outboard scene.I am used to my 32 Sunsation with blown 509's spinning 34 Bravo 4 blades at 5200-5300RPMs at 100+mph with 5lbs of boost so a 26 pitch 3 blade seemed small to me. I am on the outboard learning curve big time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally different setup from your big blocks. Different gear ratios, probably 1.86 or even higher (lower?) like into the 1.70s. And that motor will be spinning 6K++. Let us know what RPM and MPH you're seeing.
    I carry a gun because a cop won't fit in my pocket.

1987 Glasstream 15V
    1986 Mariner "Tower of Power" 115

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you need to answer what is your intent for your boat? is acceleration, top end general all around boating.
    The 26 prop sounds about right for a general all around prop. On my Euro w/260 I would run 24P ET most of the time. It was a great general all around prop for the lakes we were on. If I wanted more topend I would run a 28P or 30P ET if I wanted more hole shot I would run a 22P yamaha drag prop. It all depends on what we were doing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ddipert View Post
    I think you need to answer what is your intent for your boat? is acceleration, top end general all around boating.
    The 26 prop sounds about right for a general all around prop. On my Euro w/260 I would run 24P ET most of the time. It was a great general all around prop for the lakes we were on. If I wanted more topend I would run a 28P or 30P ET if I wanted more hole shot I would run a 22P yamaha drag prop. It all depends on what we were doing.
    I am told outboards have wicked acceleration to begin with. Ultimately my goal is to hit 100mph with the boat which seems possible fairly easily since its supposed to run mid 90's as it sits. Wouldn't you think?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    26-28 is about right for that set up. After you get through the initial learning curve you'll get used to how it all works.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think your going to need a bigger motor to run 100+? Maybe i'm wrong. But if you want a guaranteed 100+ with great fuel economy and neck snapping acceleration also I would sell the 2.4 and strap on a 300XS and turn a 34 drag4 and youll see 100+. A 260 or 280 2.5 might get ya very close with a 30 pitch but a 300xs or 300X will for sure. i would think running solo and light you could eeek out low 90,s like 93 or so with a good 29 or 30 and a long stretch to do it with the 2.4. Im just going buy what I used to know about similar 21ft tunnels like Cougars and some of the tests Ive read. Even with a 300PM in the triple tunnel terror article testers were just 100-102 with a 300PM on the back of a 21 Cougar and a 30 pitch ET. The 2.5 225pm was low 90,s they were rated 245 HP similar to the stock 2.4 bridgeport. Awesome hull the 21ft Daytona couple that with some new fuel efficient power like the 300xs and you could run forever on a tank at speed with ease and even with a load.

Theres a saying... You cant have to many props. They all run different. Lower pitch faster out of the hole but you run out of rpm so not as fast up top. Higher pitch slower out of the hole faster up top as long as you don't over pitch so your not getting out of the power pand to much. I would say a 28 or even a 30 ET would work for a top end prop. 30 if your solo, 24-26 for acceleration but 80,s for tops with the lower pitch. Better to run a 25 or 26 with passengers with the 2.4. Another saying. Theres no replacement for displacement. You have a proven 100mph++++ hull why not give her what see need to reach her full potential. Theres lots of guys with smaller hulls that would want your bridgeport because there a great motor on a smaller hull especially because there soooo Light!. But for your hull and what your used to and expecting i would want a 300 and make it easy as pie and have one hell of a hot boat setup!! im guessing but a 300XS would get you 105+ two up setup right with the right prop. Guys even twin those hulls with outboards and do 110-120+. The difference from a sale to a 300xs would be around 5 difference. but then your in a whole new ball game of performance. Just saying. Im not meaning to rain on any thing but a 100 out of a 2.4 on a 21fter is asking for a lot unless you weigh 100 lbs your self and you run with 5 gal of fuel at 8lbs per gal and a use a very very good prop and its cool temps with low humidity. Then you might get close.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by whipper View Post
    I would think your going to need a bigger motor to run 100+? Maybe i'm wrong. But if you want a guaranteed 100+ with great fuel economy and neck snapping acceleration also I would sell the 2.4 and strap on a 300XS and turn a 34 drag4 and youll see 100+. A 260 or 280 2.5 might get ya very close with a 30 pitch but a 300xs or 300X will for sure. i would think running solo and light you could eeek out low 90,s like 93 or so with a good 29 or 30 and a long stretch to do it with the 2.4. Im just going buy what I used to know about similar 21ft tunnels like Cougars and some of the tests Ive read. Even with a 300PM in the triple tunnel terror article testers were just 100-102 with a 300PM on the back of a 21 Cougar and a 30 pitch ET. The 2.5 225pm was low 90,s they were rated 245 HP similar to the stock 2.4 bridgeport. Awesome hull the 21ft Daytona couple that with some new fuel efficient power like the 300xs and you could run forever on a tank at speed with ease and even with a load.

Theres a saying... You cant have to many props. They all run different. Lower pitch faster out of the hole but you run out of rpm so not as fast up top. Higher pitch slower out of the hole faster up top as long as you don't over pitch so your not getting out of the power pand to much. I would say a 28 or even a 30 ET would work for a top end prop. 30 if your solo, 24-26 for acceleration but 80,s for tops with the lower pitch. Better to run a 25 or 26 with passengers with the 2.4. Another saying. Theres no replacement for displacement. You have a proven 100mph++++ hull why not give her what see need to reach her full potential. Theres lots of guys with smaller hulls that would want your bridgeport because there a great motor on a smaller hull especially because there soooo Light!. But for your hull and what your used to and expecting i would want a 300 and make it easy as pie and have one hell of a hot boat setup!! im guessing but a 300XS would get you 105+ two up setup right with the right prop. Guys even twin those hulls with outboards and do 110-120+. The difference from a sale to a 300xs would be around 5 difference. but then your in a whole new ball game of performance. Just saying. Im not meaning to rain on any thing but a 100 out of a 2.4 on a 21fter is asking for a lot unless you weigh 100 lbs your self and you run with 5 gal of fuel at 8lbs per gal and a use a very very good prop and its cool temps with low humidity. Then you might get close.

These are the things I need to know. I guess my first run will tell all. Who knows,I might be content with how it is and leave it alone but I am guessing that won't be the case.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominator Scott View Post
    These are the things I need to know. I guess my first run will tell all. Who knows,I might be content with how it is and leave it alone but I am guessing that won't be the case.
    Just judging from what your coming from and what your expecting. Like you said ya might be content as is? Fine and dandy. But if your looking for the sick **** fast arse wholly smackers type ride the 300xs or 300 anything is what you'll need. Dont get me wrong high 80,s to low 90,s is fast in a 21 fter. You might be good for a while but the bug will catch up to you real quick!! And we all want to beat the bug.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Indeed, you are soooo right
    Glastron GT 150 W OMC 140
    Glastron GT150 w OMC 235
    Hydrostream Vision with 2.0l 135
    Hydrostream HST w 3.0L 225

I know two things that are infinite, the Universe and Human's Stupidity, although I am not sure about the first one.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by whipper View Post
    Just judging from what your coming from and what your expecting. Like you said ya might be content as is? Fine and dandy. But if your looking for the sick **** fast arse wholly smackers type ride the 300xs or 300 anything is what you'll need. Dont get me wrong high 80,s to low 90,s is fast in a 21 fter. You might be good for a while but the bug will catch up to you real quick!! And we all want to beat the bug.
    Your probably right. This year I will leave it alone and just enjoy it. If I get the 100mph bug I can just hook up to my 32 Dominator and scratch that itch while listening to those twin huffer motors spool up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 003.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How the hell have you been Scott, been a while.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rchevelle71 View Post
    How the hell have you been Scott, been a while.

I have been doing okay my friend. Just been working and watching the grandkids grow up too fast.
    My sister and I have been busy working on the lake house we inherited when mom passed away last July. The last year of her life was hard on her and us because the dimentia and parkinsens disease had really taken away any quality of life for her. But thankfully she still
    knew who all were when died. Other then that things have been going well. Just realy excited to take my Daytona out for the first run this weekend since I have owned it.

How are you doing?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast