Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This one for the few Vietnam vets here...

Vietnam again, 45 years later..(like it never goes away anyway). Today was watching "again", "Vietnam in HD", History channel. I got there in 2Corp, May 9th 1969. Outside Pleiku us. Ben Het was just overrun just before I got "in county" 20 some miles north use. Same time..(May 10th to 20th) east us was the "Hamburger Hill" crap going down. I simple had to put away the "chores for the day", as had to watch the 6 hours and remember those days, in "Remembrance, and respect", my "Brothers in arms". The ONLY thing I really care about there though? I MISSED WOODSTOCK!
    But? "Country Joe"..(give me a F)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	301822

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xuUBCF3KKxc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And ya think no "Tigers" in Nam. HA! Heres a pic from my HS friend, we both went same time Nam 69. It was kill this beast, or they be "dinner". Thats my friend holding the pole up, on the left. One tough ass "grunt".

Name:	10314599_599411796841677_6661586362942018857_n.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	301823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vaguely remember boot camp marching cadence, Ft. lost in the woods(leonardwood) 1971, "Im gonna go to vietnam,Im gonna kill me a charley cong, sound off, 1234, sound off" BUT, I wound up going to Korea, I dont even belong in the same class with you combat grunts.
    Last edited by daytrader; 07-21-2014 at 10:45 AM.
    garybvd

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daytrader View Post
    I vaguely remember boot camp marching cadence, Ft. lost in the woods(leonardwood) 1971, "Im gonna go to vietnam,Im gonna kill me a charley cong, sound off, 1234, sound off" BUT, I wound up going to Korea, I dont even belong in the same class with you combat grunts.
    Good old Ft Lost in the Woods! Basic in fall 68. Then Ft Knox AIT Next was Nam, then Ft Sill OK, then a short stint in Germany.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Much respect for you guys. Picked up this one the other day and can't wait to tear into it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails maxresdefault.jpg  
    You never know what your faith is, until your faith has been truly tested.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guys that were there are a special kind of nuts .... My friends dad was in a pow camp for years and has the most crazy stories .... Makes that movie full metal jacket sound like a nursery ryme ....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wanna read a very graphic book? "and a hard rain fell" Powerful, but I can't get by page 100 of 400...too many lousy forgotten mems brought back.

"A magnetic, bloody, moving, and worm's-eye view of soldiering in Vietnam, an account that is from the first page to last a wound that can never heal. A searing gift to his country."-Kirkus Reviews

The classic Vietnam war memoir, ...and a hard rain fell is the unforgettable story of a veteran's rage and the unflinching portrait of a young soldier's odyssey from the roads of upstate New York to the jungles of Vietnam. Updated for its 20th anniversary with a new afterword on the Iraq War and its parallels to Vietnam, John Ketwig's message is as relevant today as it was twenty years ago.

Name:	index.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	302124

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have to dig around but odds are pretty good I've got it in the stash (not many first hand experiences that I don't).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Still on my bookshelf now, the best "true storys yet".."Dear America, Letters home from Vietnam"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robby , I went to knox after basic. For armor crew training. Then to korea, then Ft Ord california. Thats interesting you went to Ft Sill, then germany
    garybvd

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In Ft Knox, before Nam, did (already MOS mechanic), AIT tank mech training Armor. (Fast story in Germany, winter, a 5 inch thick armored tank sitting outside broke? COLD! Had to shove it the M/P, with heat at it 24 hrs! before touching it, or "frost bite"! Did ya do the month "training", in "Graf". Got a story that too. (Hell, I got a zillion storys!). One the best is why they sent me to Germany. Bring that up later..(funny as they come too) But as "a child of the 60's", many back home started to get the point..like Woodstock. I was in country 4 months 69, when this **** went down...guess some at home "had our back"

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xuUBCF3KKxc" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>
    Last edited by Robby321; 07-24-2014 at 10:52 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grafenwoher (Graf) is still alive and well. Just visited there near the end of 2012. As a Soldier going through training, I hated every minute of it. As a Civilian working on post, it was a good life. Believe it or not, I loved living and working in Hohenfels. Much more isolated but the quality of life was night and day.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was at knox in dec. jan. 71 72. I remember how muddy it was., a tank got stuck in a tank "trap" mud almost up to the top of its tracks. It took a tank retriever (whatever they called those things) and two tanks to pull it out.
    garybvd

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daytrader View Post
    I was at knox in dec. jan. 71 72. I remember how muddy it was., a tank got stuck in a tank "trap" mud almost up to the top of its tracks. It took a tank retriever (whatever they called those things) and two tanks to pull it out.
    Driving tanks is a simple gas! Hard to imagine that much weight, be tossed around like a gokart!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoker1 View Post
    Grafenwoher (Graf) is still alive and well. Just visited there near the end of 2012. As a Soldier going through training, I hated every minute of it. As a Civilian working on post, it was a good life. Believe it or not, I loved living and working in Hohenfels. Much more isolated but the quality of life was night and day.
    I was in Hanue (sp). On Graf? Let me toss a story at ya Germany. Outta Nam, in Ft Sill. 7 months to ETS. Had applied for a early out back to school. Well, I got orders for Germany, and report after 30 day leave (and travel time) Charleston AFB. When? DEC 24TH? Said hey I was in Nam LAST Christmas, give me another week! Well, they said I could take next years 30 day leave coming, but would not get paid for it., Said fine with me. Ended up think 67 days leave time! Hair down to me azz, beard, get to Germany, get a "paycheck" for $7! Had to last me a month!

Well, I decide go wash clothes. Bump into a guy I knew from Basic Training! He just got paid, and that night I found out walking the Strauss with a beer is legal, as prostitution! He bought! But it gets worse (really better) from here. And ALL this happened within ONE WEEK! I was to be a Battalion welder helper, as one ETS'ing. Well, the main welders wife had a mis carriage, and he got sent home. Bingo, I'm now Battalion welder, own shop, jeep, and Deuce 1/2! AND a helper! AND, got accepted school, so now only there for 4 months!

On Graf, I needed "war training" like a hole in the head, but had to do the month there as welder. We set up the truck with cots, Mad magazines, food, whatever, and screw the February cold! Back the truck nice and toasty with the "red and green" wrench for heat! Way more I could say, but I'd be here all day. It was "quite the experience!"

Also my brother is a Genealogy freak. Has tracked down family since 1700's. Him and SIL, found in Czechoslovakia the little village where my Grandfather was born. He had come over on a cattle ship, $25 in his pocket, Ellis Island..(we have his name in stone there now). Well, turns out its called Belinice. I had to look it up in my world atlas. I'll be damned! Turns out it probably 20/30 miles from GRAF! Never knew I was so close to it! Small world!
    Last edited by Robby321; 07-25-2014 at 03:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast