Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wet motion?

My son bought a early 2000s motion 25.This is our first go at cats,family has had jets.The boat looked very clean and still does for that matter.After a lot of searching we are told these are inferior made boats.With bottom/build issues as well the attention to detail and sealingvof the wood.We rebuilt several boats over the years and after closer look feel its safe to say we need to do this one to make it right.The knee braces are softer then I'd like as well as transom/deck.Is shaving weight worth it in these hulls?It'll be a long project and expensive I'm sure.Questions is roughly what is rough idea on material costs.Im guessing 5k in materials and cost over runs.Anyone have ideas where to start.It'll be a winter project.Boat looks perfect but is hiding a mess underneath.
    Last edited by Peddledown; 07-13-2014 at 11:38 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5k? What exactly do you plan to do? I'm redoing a 28 skater and have less than 1k in actual materials. ...for transom, knees, a few stringers, resins, glass, maybe 2k tops with high quality stuff....
    Larry Gempp Jr.

Proud HydroStream Powertour Member

Current Ride - 2024 22 Liberator - 450R

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check my post about my lightning.. Same deal built like a pos had a ton of issues.. Parted it out and sold hull ripped apart cheap.. Horribly built and had water intrusion

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well,we tore into it a bit.Needless to say I'd best describe Motion build quality as lipstick on a pig.Looks good at first glance but once you tear into it and see how it built its not real comforting at all.Water intrusion on the hulls is absurd.It'll be far better when it goes back together with care and quality materials.Having seen how these are built I can see how there regarded so poorly.I'm not sure if other years are better or not,I believe this is a 01 or 02.
    Last edited by Peddledown; 07-15-2014 at 10:12 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    now what do you mean by water intrusion . just the wood being wet or the hull was leaking . I picked up aggiestckl lightning I just re did the floors did your boat have carpet

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cave man View Post
    now what do you mean by water intrusion . just the wood being wet or the hull was leaking . I picked up aggiestckl lightning I just re did the floors did your boat have carpet
    The 500lbs of wet floor that was pulled out

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Jr. View Post
    5k? What exactly do you plan to do? I'm redoing a 28 skater and have less than 1k in actual materials. ...for transom, knees, a few stringers, resins, glass, maybe 2k tops with high quality stuff....
    How do you define "high quality stuff"? At retail prices, I've got around $1500 into a 14' Hydrostream in just core, resin, and glass, plus consumables. If the scope includes transom, stringers, knees, floor, and deck coring, for a 24' tunnel, I'd say $5k is a reasonable budget. Plus paint and any rigging hardware.
    78 Hydrostream Vandal - under restoration here: VANDAL RESTORATION THREAD
    86 21' Eliminator Daytona
    17' Badetta sandbar skiff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had I done some in depth reading about and asking around about Motions we wouldn't be in this situation.In the big picture its notvalot of money to be able to feel safe about my son running the boat.I do wonder about the bottoms coming apart.It just amazes me the quality can be so poor.Were older ones built better.When I talk about different materials I'm thinking about composites and what not,I can't see ever wanting to do this boat again.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you like the boat overall and don't mind getting your hands dirty, this is the best way to get what you want built to your specs.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post
    If you like the boat overall and don't mind getting your hands dirty, this is the best way to get what you want built to your specs.
    My thoughts exactly,other then being in sad shape at least compared to what id like to have seen.The boat is in very nice shape with twin 250xs motors, allum. trailer and all sorts of add ons,I cant believe the stereo in this thing.I think he cashed the guy out under 20k so its not like hes married to the thing.I just told him he will make far worse decisions in his life then this boat.We can do all the stringers transom,knees,floor etc.The one thing that worries about my son in it is the issues ive heard of the bottoms coming out of the hulls.My boy is a very good driver and has been baoting since damn neer day 1.What have others heard of these issues any way to address it since will be deep in it?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dad had a 25 motion back in the mid 90's. After a year the bottom started to delaminate. It was underneath the area where the tanks are, it wasn't a dangerous all at once deal but it wasn't fun and looking at it I remember thinking that the bulkhead spacing was just to far apart.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake rat Skater View Post
    My dad had a 25 motion back in the mid 90's. After a year the bottom started to delaminate. It was underneath the area where the tanks are, it wasn't a dangerous all at once deal but it wasn't fun and looking at it I remember thinking that the bulkhead spacing was just to far apart.
    Lake Rat, you mean you guys had two Motions. One that delaminated and then they built him one that was heavier and it delaminated to. I remember something like that. I have repaired 2 of these boats and if you my 2 cents pm me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aerotech View Post
    Lake Rat, you mean you guys had two Motions. One that delaminated and then they built him one that was heavier and it delaminated to. I remember something like that. I have repaired 2 of these boats and if you my 2 cents pm me.
    Yep motion ended up taking the hull back and supplied the one with a heavier layup. It actually is still at the lake sitting in a guys garage and I am not sure if it has had any issues yet. After the first one it was easy to see the advantages of skater build quality.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    take your time build right I had mine out today it rides nice well worth the time I spent

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After some long hard thinking we decided to pull the motors off and send the boat down the road.The wife and I just could not stomach the thought of the boat delaminating with our only kid in it.We sold the hull for next to nothing simply because I need to sleep at night.These hulls in reality are worth 5 or 6 being so poorly built.Now were looking for a quality hull needing power.I can't believe how many of these Motions floors are about to delaminate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast