Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Insane-o View Post
    Bill and I were just talking about this boat today.
    That is funny to hear, Lynn. Were you talking about how rotted she was. Who the hell did the band aid by cutting the section of transom out and using wood dowels to "secure" a new section in place?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No idea. The first time I looked at it for Bill I was just like ..ewwwwwwwwwwwwww. at least the deconstruction was easy. Good to see it progressing though.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great! I dont know how I missed this.

Quote Originally Posted by rjdubiel View Post
    Did the original core go that wide? Never seen a vector rebuild. My vking only has half that amount of core. But my floor also acts as a core where it sits and attaches to the hull along the sides. Keep it rolling! Good progress
    RJ, the core in the Viper and the Vector go all the way up the sides. The Vking and the Vulture only go up the sides of the stringers about 12"s or so (I cant remember how wide off hand). I think its cause the VKing and the Vultures have the very outside stringer that runs the length of the hull. At least the Vulture does anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by zstyle View Post
    Here I used insulation board to easily shape a template.

Used the template and cut my shape out of 1/2" marine ply, then coated the undersides in resin.
    Thats how I made the template for my stringers in my vulture and it worked great!!!
    -Kevin
    Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project CobraJet
    1977 Hydrostream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project.
    1982 Hydrostream Vector
    1982 Hydrostream Vamp
    1973 Hydrostream Vixen
    1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
    199? Glastron - aka Boat Anchor
    1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hippie459MN View Post
    Looks great! I dont know how I missed this.

RJ, the core in the Viper and the Vector go all the way up the sides. The Vking and the Vulture only go up the sides of the stringers about 12"s or so (I cant remember how wide off hand). I think its cause the VKing and the Vultures have the very outside stringer that runs the length of the hull. At least the Vulture does anyways.

Thats how I made the template for my stringers in my vulture and it worked great!!!

Dang Kevin, bringing a post out from the past!!! When I posted that one in 2014 I thought the Vector was a short Vking, I now know the Vector is basically a viper with pointed nose.
    1973 Viper - sold
    1978 Viking - sold
    1995 XB02

5. Likes Hippie459MN liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RJ, yeah, I seen some of the posts were recent, then I replied, and then I noticed the date of your post but I just left it. lol
    -Kevin
    Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project CobraJet
    1977 Hydrostream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project.
    1982 Hydrostream Vector
    1982 Hydrostream Vamp
    1973 Hydrostream Vixen
    1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
    199? Glastron - aka Boat Anchor
    1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

7. Likes rjdubiel liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Vkings also have the foam boxes on the sides. Worked on her some more today and was able to get the splash well delete panel done. Have to still glass it in but that is one of the last things to do. Hope to get the floor done tomorrow minus gel coat.

9. Likes Capt.Insane-o liked this post
    Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    just as a matter of curiosity what did you make your putty out of to stick the core down with ??
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnels View Post
    just as a matter of curiosity what did you make your putty out of to stick the core down with ??
    Thickened polyester resin.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    oh god here it comes...

13. Likes zstyle liked this post
    Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Insane-o View Post
    oh god here it comes...
    Ok what can be used to thicken resin to make core bond ??
    Last edited by tunnels; 10-26-2016 at 02:38 PM.
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    so no answer to a very simple question !
    So im guessing its one of three or possibly 4 things Carbosil ? or talc ? just maybe milled fibers mixed with the first two or the dreaded Q cells ? .
    Yes have seen some experienced fiberglass people try to use Q cells mixed with the resin and wondered why the sheets all fell of the surface they where meant to stick to !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnels View Post
    so no answer to a very simple question !
    So im guessing its one of three or possibly 4 things Carbosil ? or talc ? just maybe milled fibers mixed with the first two or the dreaded Q cells ? .
    Yes have seen some experienced fiberglass people try to use Q cells mixed with the resin and wondered why the sheets all fell of the surface they where meant to stick to !
    Calm down there killer, been busy working on the boat and work which is running a boat dealership. We used a mix of milled fibers, micro spheres, and Cabosil. It seemed to be bonded very well as I had to remove some.

I know you are highly experienced but I request that you don't turn this thread into a rant. The core is already bedded in, so if you want to start a banter about core bonding to educate please start another thread.

17. Likes rjdubiel, Capt.Insane-o liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Micro spheres is almost the same as Q cells they get added to bulk up the mix but they are meant for fillers and fairing to make it easy to sand because the are Hollow and absorb moisture and don't have any strength at all .
    Oh well if you are happy with how well its stuck that's ok but if the flexing and pounding causes it the break down over time those spheres could be the problem !
    The milled fibers could possibly save you ass if you used a decent amount !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So would of milled fibers and Cabosil been the best?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zstyle View Post
    So would of milled fibers and Cabosil been the best?
    AND add talc instead of micro spheres and you have a much better mix !

Here is some info to have a look at that could be of interest to a few people !
    http://www.eagerplastics.com/cab.htmread about carbosil!!
    http://www.compositesworld.com/articles/microspheres-fillers-filled-with-possibilitiesmicrospheres a comprehensive description of!!
    http://www.fibreglast.com/product/116_inch_Milled_Glass_Fibers_29/Fillers1/16 inch milled fibre and its uses !.
    http://uscomposites.com/fillers.htmlthis one covers the lot and more!
    http://www.masterbond.com/techtips/thixotropic-polymer-systemsAnd for the epoxy uses theres something foryou to

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast