Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carb recomendation 2.5 200 fishing

My 99 2.5 200 came with WMV 5 carbs. I have been doing some research and have read others recommendations about the WH22 and WH46 among a few others that I can't remember at this time.

My question is what do you folks thing would be the best carb for my application? 2.5 200 with some port work, shaved heads, front half shaved and stuffed. Engine is on a 1977 Cobra Phantom 17' bass boat. Tournament loaded with 12gal fuel and talke for two people with snacks and drinks and ice the boat weighs 1400 lbs. I think that is light from what I read about other bass boats. I am most likely not going over 6500-6800, I want a carb that will perform well and be fairly easy to work on and adjust.

I'd also like a girlfriend for the weekend.

Thanks in advance

Slimm
    Hire the handicapped, we're fun to watch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure others on the board here will jump on me over this.

The WH22 and WH46 are 2.4 200hp carbs. They will work on a 2.5 in a high performance/race application. Do not run them at mid range rpm for long periods as they will be to lean. The 2.5 being a behind the liner engine and makes alot more torque then the 2.4 engine. This is why Mercury designed the new series crbs for the 2.5. The newer series carbs deliver alot more fuel in the mid range peak torque areas.

If your just jumping on it and winging right on through the rpms the WH carbs will work. For normal recreational boating and cruising stick with the later model carbs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The WMV's are good carbs. I doubt you'll see much difference with WH's besides a loss of driveability.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO try and locate some wmv 18's they have the best factory jetting of all the 200 carbs ( a bit better then the 5's) the are up jetted for number 2 and 5 like in the old days and down jetted on number 6, just clean them good the jets range from 80 to 84 on the mains

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the. I will try what i have now and get some hours on it then worry about grabbing extra ponies later. I did get it fired up tonight, just bumped it and then shut it off. I will try to post a video i took with my phone but have never posted a video with my phone so i wool maybe screw it up...lol

Slimm
    Hire the handicapped, we're fun to watch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the 46's and 22's on my 2.5 engines I modify. They are not much different from what I done to your engine except they just have more aggressive porting and a few minor mods. I like the WH carbs because they are far easier to tune than the 3 circuit carbs. I have yet to have one come back from being lean in the midrange and as you know I have plenty of them running around. Carl Guffey's 2.5 200 ,the one on CFF that went from 3MPG to 4.5MPG, is getting those fuel mileages at 3500 to 4000 with the WH22's and has for 4 1/2 years with no problems. Plus I already know how to jet them! LOL. Just my personal experiences.
    James Perry

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried wh 22's,15's,and 20's on my modded 2.5 fishing motor and none of them ran as good as the wmv's. The 15's were slightly stronger out the hole but midrange suffered. This was all done with 155 lbs of compression on pump gas. The newer style carbs are much better for a river boat...if I was drag racing I would use the 15's but they seemed mighty lean at cruising speed.