Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

help with my mercury throttle controls.

Hey all, I'm new to this particular forum so this will be my first post. I have a 1971 seabird 24 that I just installed a set of twin 1998 mercury 250 efis on and I just can't get the throttles to adjust properly. Here's the problem, the throttle just doesn't have enough range, when I adjust it so that they will come back to idle, they will only get to maybe 1/2 throttle with the controls all the way forward, the top flappers aren't even opening. I have a newer universal type mercury dual binacle setup, the one with the trim switches on the base of the assembly and a single trim switch that trims both engines on the left lever. The outboards came with an older quicksilver control box which is the one that i see more often then not with all older mercs, maybe i need to switch it but my newer mercury controls that are already on the boat are in much nicer shape. I feel like both of the throttle controls will have the same amount of throttle range, something else must be wrong. Is there any way to shorten up the throttle range on the linkage assembly on the engine itself?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i can post pictures of anything in question if it helps.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing? guess I'll have to call a marine mechanic.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There maybe travel stops in the controls that need to be adjusted to allow more "throw" in the throttle travel. Or there may be several different cable attachment points in the controls to provide different magnitudes of travel and you need to change the cable attacment point.....either way the problem is in the controls, make sure they are set up correctly.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are no throttle stops in a oem mercury box.. Are u using oem cables or 33c type cable with adapters? If oem cables the is only on way to connect the cables and no get it wrong other than minor barrel adjustments at the engine side.. If 33c cables u may have the wrong adapters for you application.. Post some pics of what you have..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking at the old style controls and they have no internal adjustments but what your saying makes sense since my controls are intended to be more universal. I will take a look. Thanks for the response.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merctech5591 View Post
    There are no throttle stops in a oem mercury box.. Are u using oem cables or 33c type cable with adapters? If oem cables the is only on way to connect the cables and no get it wrong other than minor barrel adjustments at the engine side.. If 33c cables u may have the wrong adapters for you application.. Post some pics of what you have..
    I believe that i have oem type cables, my adjustment is at the engines. I will take pics of what i have after work today. I have not yet taken the controls apart because i had asumed they would be the same inside as the old style controls which i have already looked at as i said above.
    Last edited by chevy355mark; 03-28-2014 at 11:05 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i went ahead and took the controls apart today, there is no adjustment. when i was putting the controls all the way forward i had thought that they reached their stops, what i was actually feeling was the throttle linkage getting into the second flapers, this point in the throttle is about the same point where the throttles are touching the guages on the console. to sum it up the problem is that my controls need to be moved back or up to get them to travel more, the console is stopping me from getting full throttle. for now i just put some spacers under the front of the throttle control box to lean the whole assembly back some. does anybody make a spacer plate to move the whole control box up off the console some? theres a plastic shop that made me some plexiglass pieces for my console, maybe ill have them make me a spacer out of starboard.