Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help With '98 Looper Carbs/Throttle Body "Idle Adjustment Screws"!!!

I have a set for my V8 and wanted to clean them up real nice (they were pretty dirty) So I took the throttle bodies apart (Cal pocket covers off, Idle screws out, etc.) and was told I shouldnt have done that, that they are flowed from the factory. How do I get the idle screws back to the right setting? With the cal pocket covers off and screws all the way in without springs on them (closed), they are at different depths. And when screwed all the way in and the spring on the screw, the spring prevents from being screwed in all the way. I read the chart posted by Wrenchin2 back in 2011 but how do I get all screws/orifices the same?
    Thanks for the help!
    D.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TTT, could use some input!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What was the bottom out setting before you screwed them out? Does not matter if the bottoms out on the spring or not it gives you a starting setting. You did check I hope. If not what does the service manual say to set them up. You do have one right?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I have a manual. didnt check in there as to how to set them up. What I did is remove the spring, screw all the way in. Index the screw (notched with a file at 12 o'clock) then backed out 7 turns and measured with calipers. Put the spring back on and measured again with calipers and keeping notch at 12 o'clock. Seems to be idling pretty well, had to retard timing to 6 deg's BTDC to get to idle. I may take it to 6 turns out to see how she likes it but I like my motors like I like my women...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman69 View Post
    Yes, I have a manual. didnt check in there as to how to set them up. What I did is remove the spring, screw all the way in. Index the screw (notched with a file at 12 o'clock) then backed out 7 turns and measured with calipers. Put the spring back on and measured again with calipers and keeping notch at 12 o'clock. Seems to be idling pretty well, had to retard timing to 6 deg's BTDC to get to idle. I may take it to 6 turns out to see how she likes it but I like my motors like I like my women...
    Some times when you get them to idle real good they are not rich enough to take off. Kinda like women, never rich enough!