Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ziggy boutelle

Quote Originally Posted by Rotary John View Post
    For those of you who haven't heard; Ziggy Bottle past away last night. While Ziggy work for and supported OMC for many years, most people in boat racing know him or of him. May he rest in Pease. My condolences to Janet and the rest of his family.
    I had the pleasure of Ziggys company and shared a few beers with him on many occasions he was a real gentleman he will be sadly missed. When I went to the OFF events recently I always hoped he could make it just like you did John I would have loved to talk about the old times maybe you could fill us in on the work he did at OMC I believe he did the engine dyno work on the race engines.When he came to the major race events in Europe he always pre checked the race engines before they went in the water.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John hill

Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    Adam was having difficulty getting to grips with the Hodges, it was a problem boat from the start, to turn , it was all or nothing, you had to drop it in hard before the turn, it simply floated on 'till it bit.
    It was a top five boat if you wrung its neck, but it would bite you given half a chance, give it a smidgen too much trim and it would float a foot above the water for a hundred yards.
    That boat was like a yo-yo, back and forth to Hodges trying to sort it.
    He was another that never made two boats alike, he was of the ope that he could always improve on the last one.
    my last four boats were Hodges, often wondered if I'd have run Seebolds would the outcome have been different.
    Last boat was a case of 150 mph motor in a 125 mph hull.
    I would have loved to drive one of Seebolds outfits especially if Bill had set it up himself.I was told that when John Hill was killed he was about to take delivery of a new Seebold boat he had complained the Burgess boats he was using ran too flat and wanted something with a little more lift.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't think the modern concept is even comparable to the original version.
    three, fifteen minute heats (if it's not too rough and windy) hardly compares to a 500 miler?
    J.
    I watched that '500' video too, Jackie, and I had almost forgot what it took to put a race like that together---here is a couple young guys after 23 hours and 1200 miles---

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM View Post
    I watched that '500' video too, Jackie, and I had almost forgot what it took to put a race like that together---here is a couple young guys after 23 hours and 1200 miles---

That picture epitomises everything!!!
    Black and white, sweaty grubby tee shirt.
    Hand painted colonial pride-----US 1.
    you both look like sh-t-----but happy and satisfied
    Thats when "Offshore" meant just that.
    Just love the location with all the super de luxe facilities.
    Only a colonial would neck a Moet & Chandon, long before F 1 mutilated the ceremony.
    On the other hand that's a beer I don't recognise.
    Remember number one priority when racing out west was to fill the truck with "COORS"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John always had the best boat around and the Burgess was one of the best. He should have tried a Hodges-----you could run 100 in a straight line, but you never knew when the bloody thing was going to hook ( left or right) for no reason especially when you didn't want it too.
    Then there was it's strange knack of "Tripping"--------like on the top turn at Fairford a la Phil Duggan and Peter Inward ???
    Mark Wilson at Holmepierpoint fifty yards before the top turn suffered a hard left without any warning.
    Even Molinari could build the odd rogue "Bite YA" boat.

Mark bought a "New design" Molinari that handled like a pig, Peter Ericson thought he could manage it--------he did ---------straight into the wall at Bristol.

John Hill won the World Championships on two occasions, I believe they were both with a Burgess.

John died in Dubai or was it Abu Dahbi, as a direct result of UIM stupidity and interference.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did John Hill die?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those of you who haven't heard; Ziggy Bottle past away last night. While Ziggy work for and supported OMC for many years, most people in boat racing know him or of him. May he rest in Pease. My condolences to Janet and the rest of his family.
    Celebration of Life for Siegfried "Ziggy" Boettle
    Gurnee Park District Dance Hall
    4374 Old Grand Avenue, Gurnee, IL 60031
    Saturday February 7, 2015 from 3:00 to 7:00 PM

Memorials in his name may be sent to:
    Gurnee Fire Department
    4580 Old Grand Avenue, Gurnee, IL 60031

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rckid74 View Post
    Am glad to see Mark is starting to revamp “Old Blue”. I’ve been wondering just how he would like to present her --- more or less “as received” and just prettied up --- or with some sort of cowl and looking like she’s ready to hit the water. I don’t think a plywood box over her would be appropriate. As JFL indicated, --- back in the “Merc V6 history” thread --- when he ran her for the first time at the lake, she had a drop-on fiberglass cowl and pan. Perhaps he could elaborate on this. That kind of sounds something like a T3 cowl except that the T3 hadn’t been conceived at that time. I really don’t remember it having a cowl.
    “Old Blue” never did much boat running and certainly no dock or boat endurance. She spent most of her active life on the crankshaft and propshaft dynos and so doesn’t have a whole lot of run time on her. And yes, Jackie, I do like to refer to her in the feminine sense. Kind of like most sailors refer to their ship in the feminine sense.
    That I6 undercarriage she’s on was just a quick and easy way to get some boat performance data. The eventual production one was still a long way off. However I think she will bolt up to a new one. The mounting bolt pattern never changed as far as I can recall. I only mention this to present the possibility of showing her on the undercarriage as it eventually became. Just a thought. How about a T3 cowl and undercarriage.
    BTW Jackie, I would like to confirm the serial number stamped on the crankcase and block of “Old Blue”. JFL reported it as being 6720824 which means Plant 6 - 72/08/24, or August 24 of 1972. I question the year. I would have thought it was in ‘71 that we first built her. Would you check with Mark and let me know. Thanx.
    Mark confirmed the serial number 6720824. Like most folk trying to scratch a living, he's up to his fetlocks in projects.
    The 50' super yacht is within a couple of months of completion, next up is the Cosworth. Old blue will more than likely be done at the same time. He has to make a living doing his props and gear cases at Wilson Custom Marine while his "PROJECTS" are ongoing.
    If anyone wants to get involved in the restoration of any of the aforementioned items, please feel free to get in touch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lassie, I am so very sad about Ziggy but glad that he had a good innings.
    GG always frowned on liaisons with the enemy, but PRUETT used to do it just to piss him off.
    C'mon Jackie, let's go talk with JIMBO and Sanders----He'd look GARY straight in the eye as he said this, stroll over to the OMC encampment and eat and drink with them, that's how come I got to know all the OMC guys.

Johnny Sanders was the exception to the no mix rule, he was always in the Mercury camp and was always welcomed-----in fact I saw him in boats with a black lump hanging on its bum on more than one occasion.

I could have this totally wrong, but wasn't Ziggy a good friend of "MOUSE "?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    How did John Hill die?
    Morning Pilgrim, let's wait a week or two and I'll tell you, still wrankles me, the stupid, idiotic behaviour of top brass and the damage the lack of knowledge and experience can cause.
    i sent a four page letter of protest to the UIM and a copy to the RYA. Neither of them had the courtesy to answer------I'm still waiting!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lassie, I am so very sad about Ziggy but glad that he had a good innings.
    GG always frowned on liaisons with the enemy, but PRUETT used to do it just to piss him off.
    C'mon Jackie, let's go talk with JIMBO and Sanders----He'd look GARY straight in the eye as he said this, stroll over to the OMC encampment and eat and drink with them, that's how come I got to know all the OMC guys.

Johnny Sanders was the exception to the no mix rule, he was always in the Mercury camp and was always welcomed-----in fact I saw him in boats with a black lump hanging on its bum on more than one occasion.

I could have this totally wrong, but wasn't Ziggy a good friend of "MOUSE "?
    Mouse (Harold Wade) worked with Ziggy for Jack Leek in the race group for years. I'll see if I can find a picture and post it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mouse (Harold Wade) worked with Ziggy for Jack Leek in the race group for years. I'll see if I can find a picture and post it.
    Mouse had a reputation and nobody with any sense at OMC would argue with him some tried to wind him up just to hear him go off on one rumour had it even Jack Leek never antagonised him.

Page 117 of 1251 FirstFirst ... 17 67 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 167 217 617 1117 ... LastLast