Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am glad to see Mark is starting to revamp “Old Blue”. I’ve been wondering just how he would like to present her --- more or less “as received” and just prettied up --- or with some sort of cowl and looking like she’s ready to hit the water. I don’t think a plywood box over her would be appropriate. As JFL indicated, --- back in the “Merc V6 history” thread --- when he ran her for the first time at the lake, she had a drop-on fiberglass cowl and pan. Perhaps he could elaborate on this. That kind of sounds something like a T3 cowl except that the T3 hadn’t been conceived at that time. I really don’t remember it having a cowl.
    “Old Blue” never did much boat running and certainly no dock or boat endurance. She spent most of her active life on the crankshaft and propshaft dynos and so doesn’t have a whole lot of run time on her. And yes, Jackie, I do like to refer to her in the feminine sense. Kind of like most sailors refer to their ship in the feminine sense.
    That I6 undercarriage she’s on was just a quick and easy way to get some boat performance data. The eventual production one was still a long way off. However I think she will bolt up to a new one. The mounting bolt pattern never changed as far as I can recall. I only mention this to present the possibility of showing her on the undercarriage as it eventually became. Just a thought. How about a T3 cowl and undercarriage.
    BTW Jackie, I would like to confirm the serial number stamped on the crankcase and block of “Old Blue”. JFL reported it as being 6720824 which means Plant 6 - 72/08/24, or August 24 of 1972. I question the year. I would have thought it was in ‘71 that we first built her. Would you check with Mark and let me know. Thanx.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    I think Billy Don was from Texas and a Google search reveals that about 7 Native American tribes were relocated to that State in the 19th century, in addition to 15 other indigenous tribes that were there to begin with. So Mr. Pruett could lay claim to just about any tribe in American History with the possible exception of P Diddy's "Posse". One more thing...Seminole was NOT one of the tribes, but Commanche and Apache were.....
    Billy Don told me---years ago--- that he was from the Fugawee Tribe. For that reason alone he was never allowed to do any navigating chores on the Offshore boat---

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rckid74 View Post
    Am glad to see Mark is starting to revamp “Old Blue”. I’ve been wondering just how he would like to present her --- more or less “as received” and just prettied up --- or with some sort of cowl and looking like she’s ready to hit the water. I don’t think a plywood box over her would be appropriate. As JFL indicated, --- back in the “Merc V6 history” thread --- when he ran her for the first time at the lake, she had a drop-on fiberglass cowl and pan. Perhaps he could elaborate on this. That kind of sounds something like a T3 cowl except that the T3 hadn’t been conceived at that time. I really don’t remember it having a cowl.
    “Old Blue” never did much boat running and certainly no dock or boat endurance. She spent most of her active life on the crankshaft and propshaft dynos and so doesn’t have a whole lot of run time on her. And yes, Jackie, I do like to refer to her in the feminine sense. Kind of like most sailors refer to their ship in the feminine sense.
    That I6 undercarriage she’s on was just a quick and easy way to get some boat performance data. The eventual production one was still a long way off. However I think she will bolt up to a new one. The mounting bolt pattern never changed as far as I can recall. I only mention this to present the possibility of showing her on the undercarriage as it eventually became. Just a thought. How about a T3 cowl and undercarriage.
    BTW Jackie, I would like to confirm the serial number stamped on the crankcase and block of “Old Blue”. JFL reported it as being 6720824 which means Plant 6 - 72/08/24, or August 24 of 1972. I question the year. I would have thought it was in ‘71 that we first built her. Would you check with Mark and let me know. Thanx.
    Id leave it exposed, IMO. The block needs to bee seen, especially with the Mercury logo between the heads.

I would consider putting it on a 15 inch mid tho.... They are fairly easy to conjure up and look better IMO. Id keep it on the L6 mid so you can see that cool looking adaptor plate that was used.

I wish I had that adaptor plate!
    Conrad
    L6fan57-88

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Fugawee's ....

Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM View Post
    Billy Don told me---years ago--- that he was from the Fugawee Tribe. For that reason alone he was never allowed to do any navigating chores on the Offshore boat---
    Been a member of that tribe on a few trips myself. Trying to get to Parker from Oshkosh, dosed off and woke up in Truth or Consequences, Oklahoma, damn near out of gas .... took the steering wheel away from Dick Paulsen and never gave it back to him for the rest of that trip.

Another time heading for Parker, Garbrecht woke up and said " where the f... are we?". I had to admit we were traveling though Memphis heading for Little Rock!
    Last edited by willabee; 01-29-2015 at 02:25 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    Been a member of that tribe on a few trips myself. Trying to get to Parker from Oshkosh, dosed off and woke up in Truth or Consequences, Oklahoma, damn near out of gas .... took the steering wheel away from Dick Paulsen and never gave it back to him for the rest of that trip.
    You and Dick may have been more lost than you realized, Bill---Truth or Consequences is in New Mexico

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gene. I will be in Summit County in a couple of weeks. We are going to see if we have any skiing left in our legs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Garbrecht wanted to see the London Motorcycle Show, it was on at the same time as the London boat show, got a couple of VIP passes from Barry Sheene.
    This was January and ten below, no problems getting there just hailed a cab, we spent 3/4 hours in there, when we came out there was a 4" covering of snow and total chaos, buses had stopped, taxis had gone on strike and the tube was down. We walked back to Earls Court in a driving blizzard-----GG just had his fancy Merc red jacket and slacks on, I had a Parka----to say he was pissed would be a major understatement.
    Well, I dropped all the hints, usually I am happy to let my birthday go by quietly, but this one I made a lot of noise over, just for devilment , not that it'll do any good, one can but hope.

Tricks thread has been on fire today, a lot of my favourite people contributed-----thanks to one and all, especially regarding "Old Blue". Nice to know it's in good shape, but Mark is still going to pull it and do a fresh build. I think a 15" mid would be appropriate, don't think he would let me get away with my version of a pan and cover-----still think I could do a better job than the Verado. Maybe open to the elements with the beautiful MERCURY centre cover, it's out of my hands anyway.!
    Conrad, will get back to you on the serial numbers.
    Now I'm not going to get around to answering everyone, so my apologies to all those I missed.

Must confess to a quiet giggle when T2x and Willabee exchange contracts.

Sent a few thoughts upstairs for Seeroy, he has to get well, who the hell else would bother with OFF.
    Will get around to answering as many of you as I can.
    No doubt about it, the spirit of POWERBOATING is still alive and kicking, I think it's just laying dormant for a while, but like the general said. "I SHALL RETURN"

Had me a great day in the shop----too busy for piccies---tomorrow----ok
    now I need the ZZZZZZZZZ/s MYGGWY.J.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=jackiewilson;2725381

Had me a great day in the shop----too busy for piccies---tomorrow----ok
    now I need the ZZZZZZZZZ/s MYGGWY.J.[/QUOTE]

---And tomorrow-----Happy Birthday Jackie!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM View Post
    ---And tomorrow-----Happy Birthday Jackie!!!!
    Thanks Gene----I'm catching you up !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy Birthday Jackie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy Birthday Jackie! Hope you have an especially good day.
    Dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Happy Birthday Jackie....Perhaps you could give us some memories from your youth? For instance what was the reaction when man first figured out how to make his own fire...and what was the development process in creating the wheel. Was there an engineer saying things like " Triangle , nope that won't work..... Square...performs very much like the triangle....Oval... seems to move forward erratically...but much better than the square...etc".
    Last edited by T2x; 02-01-2015 at 03:45 PM.
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy Birthday Jackie!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    Happy Birthday Jackie
    Thanks Pilgrim, I will enjoy.

Page 114 of 1251 FirstFirst ... 14 64 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 164 214 614 1114 ... LastLast