Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    what was Betty Cook like?
    came across very nice in the press
    https://www.facebook.com/aopc.com.au...38739486340956
    I only met her the once Pilgrim and there were a thousand other folk trying to talk to her at the same time, she had just won the world championship.
    When Pruett got his act together, he was a bloody good offshore man, not as good as Sirois, he was a tad heavy handed, so Betty Cook and Pruett were a good team for a while, until Pruett screwed it up! He usually did that everywhere he went.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been a bit busy lately. Just got back from mountains of Tennessee. Hit the Autumn colors perfectly. Hoping that my favorite Old Fart is doing well. - Seeroy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seeroy View Post
    Been a bit busy lately. Just got back from mountains of Tennessee. Hit the Autumn colors perfectly. Hoping that my favorite Old Fart is doing well. - Seeroy
    Welcome back Steve---while you were gone I put this pic on so Jackie would know what a spinner is---I said Jackie probably would not recognize this young man---You have to disqualify yourself, Steve---anyone know??

(Clue: he is retired--and he is a boat racer)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seeroy View Post
    You have to stay busy Stavros------only way to make it through the week.
    Tennessee---------passed through it a couple of times---------seen the smoke coming from the "Moonshine" stills up in the mountains. I think Bentz owned a fair chunk of it, didn't GG have a say in state affairs? Once told me he preferred it to Florida.
    Was due to play golf with him the week he met "THE REAPER", we used to talk on the desktop on a daily basis, long before Jobs invented FaceTime .
    Glad you got to see the Autumn colours --------nice to know your back, give Iris a hug for me! j.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gene, I have a feeling I should know this chappie, looks a bit Richie Powers? Maybe Anderson ?
    Probably have egg on my face when you tell me, can't be you, you still have more hair now than he had then!

Thought I might furnurgle a "Malbulike" concept-------but then you stuck in the "Mustang" and it was no contest.
    You know me, I always tend to put the cart before the horse (Arse backwards my sainted mother used to say)-------- I have spent the day making a pair of Merlin manifolds with a dozen short stacks-------looking the biz-----even me myself is quietly "Chuffed" .
    Don't know how the old oak and polished metal will blend in-----was pissed off losing $35 band saw blades every day, so it was an economic necessity as "Schnozzle" used to say or was it Phil? (Jungle book)

Fitting the spinner I made earlier----the one with the roller bearings -----two, three or four blade prop Gene? I cut four blanks , just in case. Oh yes, I'm getting better at the blades too.

Sure as hell won't be posting piccies till I'm damn sure it'll pass muster, would feel a right Pratt if it turned out to be a "Cocker Doodle Quack".

Time to go-----I'm waffling again-----God bless you, MYGGWY.J.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    Was due to play golf with him the week he met "THE REAPER", we used to talk on the desktop on a daily basis, long before Jobs invented FaceTime .
    Strange to think you very well could have been on that golf course, that same day, with his son Bart & his doctor. Wondering how Bart is doing these days? Last I had heard, he was in high finance, still living in Winter Haven, and newly engaged.
    Last edited by FUJIMO; 11-03-2015 at 07:42 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=jackiewilson;2805318]Looked back at last weeks posts--------by the cringe, what a diversity of subjects------we never dwell on one thing for long.
    Was particularly pleased "Fujimo" brought up FIONA COUNTESS OF ARRON known by lots of us as " "Lady Fred" . You couldn't help but like her, absolutely full of character, had a very POSH accent, (lived in a HICE-------sounds like mice). One of the GO FOR IT racers!

She was a game old lady when I first started racing boats she was always at the major races usually driving Volvo inboards I can remember she named her boats BADGER she always dressed very nautical like a female Ray Bulman.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fitting the spinner I made earlier----the one with the roller bearings -----two, three or four blade prop Gene? I cut four blanks , just in case. Oh yes, I'm getting better at the blades too.
    J.
    Jackie--my vote is for Four blades for the 'Spit'---Aircraft engineers and boat engineers suffer with the same problem---two--or three--or four--or five blades are best???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When Pruett got his act together, he was a bloody good offshore man, not as good as Sirois, he was a tad heavy handed, so Betty Cook and Pruett were a good team for a while, until Pruett screwed it up! He usually did that everywhere he went.
    Jackie--Pruett was a short timer with Betty---he lasted longer with Paul--they actually won a race with that big cat--

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    Strange to think you very well could have been on that golf course, that same day, with his son Bart & his doctor. Wondering how Bart is doing these days? Last I had heard, he was in high finance, still living in Winter Haven, and newly engaged.
    When Gary's boy was around six or seven I got Barry Sheen's boss at Suzuki,(REX WHITE) to make him a set of white racing leathers, think he was into junior bike racing , had a picture for years but it's long gone now!
    Last I heard he was running a boat shop down in the keys, ISLAMADORA ----but that was a long time ago-----could be wrong-----memory's shot!
    Jenks used to play the odd round with GG.
    Stayed with them a few times, long after I quit racing.
    He also helped at Parker when Bedford Davy thought I should take the COSWORTH over there.
    Bob Hetzel chopped the Rolla which was useless for the gear ratio on the club foot Gary insisted I use for a seven hour race.
    Time to rise-----I'm rambling already !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM View Post
    Jackie--Pruett was a short timer with Betty---he lasted longer with Paul--they actually won a race with that big cat--
    Pruett had a bad case of "Wanderlust" Gene, grass was always greener, and he was always chasing rainbows. Always earned a dollar but spent two.
    Most likeable, laid back, laziest, craziest, unreliable SOB I ever met in my life, but I loved him like a brother-----Joan had a lot to put with!
    One day I'll tell you the story of how they met!.

By the way Gene the spinners for the Mustang, the Spits outside on the patio table, not playing with that damn thing anymore, cost me sixty dollars in band saw blades!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a stellar morning-------bear for breakfast and lunch------cooking with gas today, can it possibly last I ask myself?
    Only thing is-----couldn't find a suitable chunk of oak or aluminium for the mustang wing----found a nice lump of mahogany though, suck it and see methinks.
    Am convinced Gene told me four blades to get more out of me!
    Done the wing, next up is the tail plane , armament, finish----Polish, paint, varnish or epoxy--needs a Duesey of a mount, (Covers a multitude of mistakes).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jilly came back from the hospice around three thirty, didn't look too good so I locked the shop and called it a day-------four hour days are long enough when you get to my age! Often find myself day dreaming, reminiscing and wondering what the hell it is I'm supposed to be making!
    Bloody rent day again, just a week today to go to the OFF golf tournament, really sorry to miss all my friends this year!
    Theres enough trophies so that just about everyone gets something.

Sending large parcels to the USA is a very expensive deal indeed, so I sent over a couple of items to put up for auction to defray some of the cost-------one of 'ems a ROTORY on a stand! Not many of those kicking around these days.

Will most definitely not be coming to Tavares this year------delayed the decision as long as I could, circumstances are not favourable at the moment.
    Saved a bunch of money on travel insurance-------I'm pretty certain word got out, Alice told Freda and she told Zebedy -----he told Tarquinius who passed it on to the senate that it would be a good idea to "Blackball" yours truly from attaining medical insurance. Do not have a an Sri ( mini stroke) you are marked for life----worse than having the pox, or admitting you know Tony Blair. All doors are locked and bolted!

If it comes to it I can always spray the "MALISTANG"---I'm still farting about with Rockets and fuel pods and guns and stuff-----nearly got the manifold and stubbies right----had an offer from California for it already, but I told them it's not for sale yet-----it could wind up a lemon, then it'll top up as kindling .
    you ever heard the story of the stamp collector who had the only pair of "New Brunswicks"in the world--------worth a million apiece--------in full view of the world, he lit a match and burned one to a cinder. .?????? That is a true story.

Always happens this time of night---I WAFFLE----time for zuzzes, MYGGWY.J

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will be missed at Tavares my friend....sorry to hear

Page 212 of 1251 FirstFirst ... 112 162 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 262 312 712 1212 ... LastLast