Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool UPDATE on my 2.5

Engine arrived late Friday evening, tossed everything in the back of the truck and headed to TN in order to have wrechin2 'do his thing' and get me going in the right direction. What I THOUGHT was a 2003 2.5 turned out to be a 99 2.5 powerhead on a 2003 short mid which means good news for me on a few points: I did NOT have an o-ring block like I thought since I was going from the serial on the mid AND my electronics should allow me to rev to the moon and back if my heart so desires.

Got the heads done, block decked and straightened nice and pretty...some port changes made and cleaned up a lot, and the intake shaved. While I was there he got me setup with some 5 petal reed cages and Chris Carson reeds. I might not have a high dollar 280 or 300+ HP machine but I am confident I will have one crisp and responsive powerhouse that will pull clean and hard to about 6800...as long as my shorts don't fill up first!

Thanks again James and Wes, your hospitality and eagerness to keep me informed as to everything you were doing and exactly how it will affect the response and performance of my particular engine was very much appreciated. I look forward to coming down again for entertainment purposes even if I dont need engine work!

Slimm
    Hire the handicapped, we're fun to watch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep another good report about Mr Perryi love his machine work on my blocks im still looking for a back up shop to do part of my work James is very hard to beat, straight holes , rigid hone cross hatching is great , blocks super clean,shipped in plastic bags this guy cares about his service to his customers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TEXAS20225 View Post
    yep another good report about Mr Perryi love his machine work on my blocks im still looking for a back up shop to do part of my work James is very hard to beat, straight holes , rigid hone cross hatching is great , blocks super clean,shipped in plastic bags this guy cares about his service to his customers

I couldn't say it better NOR could I ever thank you enough for turning me onto him..

Slimm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    glad i could help i know how tough it is to find good machine work

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TEXAS20225 View Post
    glad i could help i know how tough it is to find good machine work
    Yea not just good quality but at a price that is fair to everyone involved. I can't be paying an arm and a leg no more...getting low on legs dontcha know!

Slimm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Almost ready for assembly

worked today on getting the old pistons off the rods and new pistons put back on the rods with new needles bearings and got all my 5 petal reed cages lapped in and the new Chris Carson reeds installed and ready to swap in place of my old 4 petal cages. Next step is scrubbing the block and then setting the crank in place and sliding all the pistons into their cylinder bores, bolt on the front half and the heads then ready to make some noise.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140309_220606.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	273.7 KB 
ID:	294012Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140309_220629.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	294013Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140309_220501.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	179.9 KB 
ID:	294014

Slimm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which reed blocks are better for performance?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ported 5 petal are better then stock 4s and ported 4s are better yet. We do both. The 4 petals with reed stops also help stuff the intake a little. Every little bit helps.
    Stan carson.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scc82 View Post
    Ported 5 petal are better then stock 4s and ported 4s are better yet. We do both. The 4 petals with reed stops also help stuff the intake a little. Every little bit helps.
    Stan carson.
    Stan, thank you for your information. I think I understand what you mean when you say 'ported' 5 petal, but would like to be certain. Are you saying that I can grind the opening of the reed cage to fit the size and shape of the reed itself and increase performance? If that is the case, how much overlap should I have on the cage to ensure a positive seal?

Thank you
    Slimm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a nice jig we use to cut them but basically you straighten out the sides to take away the tear drop shape. It gives roughly 30% more flow. Not all motors will benefit from cut cages though. To see a increase in power from it the reeds/cages have to be the limiting factor. That's not the case in most stock style un-modded outboards. Your motor will probably do better with some cut cages though. Remember the bigger the seat the reed has to seal on the longer they last. I would leave a min .030-.040 footprint for seal if you cut on them yourself. Give a call and I can talk you through it if you want.

Stan carson.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a nice jig we use to cut them but basically you straighten out the sides to take away the tear drop shape. It gives roughly 30% more flow. Not all motors will benefit from cut cages though. To see a increase in power from it the reeds/cages have to be the limiting factor. That's not the case in most stock style un-modded outboards. Your motor will probably do better with some cut cages though. Remember the bigger the seat the reed has to seal on the longer they last. I would leave a min .030-.040 footprint for seal if you cut on them yourself. Give a call and I can talk you through it if you want.

Stan carson.
    Thanks again for the information, I appreciate all the tips and tricks and useful information that people on the board seem to be willing to offer.

Slimm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stan carson.
    Stan, I am tagging you in this thread because I am about to send you a PM and want you to be familiar with what I will be referencing.

Slimm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good talking to you Scott. I hope everything comes together for you like planned. Parts left this afternoon on ups. I can txt you the tracking info if you'd like.
    Stan carson.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good talking to you Scott. I hope everything comes together for you like planned. Parts left this afternoon on ups. I can txt you the tracking info if you'd like.
    Stan carson.
    Tracking numbers make me stare at the computer in anticipation. Lol. Being pleased with our conversation, hope to have more and look forward to hearing this thing talk to me.

Slimm