Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A local guru suggested that if you have an add on setback that it's flexing under the power and weight. Also suggested the new Eco. I think they just wanted a test subject though.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fasttoons View Post
    After many 300hp Verados on Playcraft Xtremes I can tell you that the porpoising issue can be controlled with trim. The best I've seen out of these boats was 53mph.- not bad for a 27' 6" pontoon. Tempest props have been the fastest setup but they seem to lead to porpoising much quicker than the Mirage props.

Phil has a new design step hull 2700 Xtreme, it was produced for Midwest Boats and developed at their request-I know of maybe three to five produced nationally.

We have a new model Playcraft Daytona 21' hull -standard Playcraft tritoon. It's powered by a 225hp Mercury Optimax ProXS, Bob's Jackplate. After running many props this past week we ran over 58mph with the Tempest 21" and over 54mph with a 19" Mirage. The Mirage was a way better all around prop but the top end wasn't close. Nor was as trim sensitive as with the Tempest.

Phil-did you try a Mirage yet?
    Try having a little cup added to the Mirage Plus. They really react well to a little cupping.
    13' Biel tunnel AKA "Flight Risk"
    13" Modified Yamaha V4 - 101 mph

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you post some pics?

My guess would be that setback is your problem. Seeing that yours is 27' with 23' toons on the outside I'm guessing the center toon is further out in the front and flush in rear?

I have a tahoe drl 24. It has a 27' center toon and 25' outside toons (dual glides from front to back on all 3 toons) but my center is flush in the front with the outside toons. So I'm at 24" of setback, I had a 250xb with a 17p rev4. I was running 55gps at 5800rpms trimmed out and never once porpoised and had plenty of bow lift and great hole shot. I didn't get to mess the motor height before the motor went but it was mounted as low as it could go and don't the measurement. I'll be pulling it out Saturday and can get that for you.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by fasttoons View Post
    BTW - the step hull was originally produced for Midwest Boats at their request. I was told that Terry at Midwest went through over 25 different set ups to arrive at the set up he has. It had to take many hours, first to convince Playcraft to build the hull for him and then to do the setup work. Playcraft is a custom builder building what the customer wants.The dealer that Phil bought from gave him a lower price for the boat and had zero set up time on the hull.
    Why would Terry, after spending all those hours developing the hull and setup return Phil's calls?
    BTW- Terry won the first closed course sanctioned pontoon race with the set up at the LOTO races last June.
    I can understand that Terry wants to protect intellectual property and doesn't want to share his knowledge. However, way before I bought my Playcraft from another dealer I shared about 40 years worth of my tunnel boat and general boat racing experience knowledge with Terry. What do you think that is worth? I obtained this in depth knowledge by personal experience in the marine industry, working closely with people like Ted O. Jones (the father of hydroplanes), Joey Impressia (offshore racing throttle man), John Vanderstahl (Mercury Racing), Pete Hledin (Douglas Marine) ... Oh ... and let's not forget the fact that I have owned over 10 boats that exceeded 100MPH and spent countless months and megabucks making them go faster. Soooo why would Terry want to share his knowledge with me? Duh!

On the other hand let's talk about Playcraft and the fact that they won't help me a bit. First of all they won't return my phone calls. Secondly, they actually told someone who spoke with them recently and then posted on another forum something like 'I talked to one of the Executives at Playcraft and forwarded this thread to him ... he suggested that you try wearing panties that are not in a bunch". Give me a break here!

I am a reasonable person and an experienced high performance boater. I am very willing to work with the factory to solve the problem for everybody who buys this configuration boat, but I can't do this without their cooperation.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well put.

I can can toss general assumptions from boat knowledge and the one Bennington and one play craft I have tinkered with assisted not lead. But it's assumptions I'm just now starting on my toon. Besides the basic mechanical stuff I'm shooting in the dark. Also just things I've seen working the marina.

What at has gotten me is you haven't been able to drive through it between 40-60. On most boats I work with if you get trim proposing at 40 a little more gas fixes it.

You our could be dealing with " if we admit no problem their is no problem."
    '06 Tracker All-Fish/Tournament V-18 90 Optimax, 46.8 gps Goal one complete reach 45 mph.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try a different prop. I have a triple toon with a 300pm and I use a Merc Revolution 4. It hooks and carries the boat bad ass..
    [IMG][/IMG]

1992 25 Talon
    Triple Simonized Mota's

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skatin View Post
    Try a different prop. I have a triple toon with a 300pm and I use a Merc Revolution 4. It hooks and carries the boat bad ass..
    I am using a box stock REV4 17P but it does not keep the bow from going down. What pitch and diameter is your REV4? I am thinking about trying a Bravo 1 which is a larger diameter than my REV4.

BTW, I have had both a 25' talon and several Skaters. As you know I'm sure; they are very different boats. Years ago (1997) on my lake we had 6 Talons. Whoah what a sight when they were all lined up

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    19 pitch and I think the dia is 14.5. Bout to sell my Talon. Stickin with the toon.
    [IMG][/IMG]

1992 25 Talon
    Triple Simonized Mota's

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread dig... What did you ever figure out?!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoetech View Post
    thread dig... What did you ever figure out?!
    rev-4! Rev-4! Rev-4! Did i say try a rev-4 ....15" ? Or 17"
    do i need to come there and show you ......? $75 hr. Ill get you were you want to be.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Riv! Just bumping some 3 log posts, trying to get more info Your'e more than welcome to spend a couple days around the shop and help rig! Thanks again

12. Likes RIVERRUMMER 70 liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3