Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Attention K-mart Shoppers!

As most of you klnow, one of our American icons is closing their doors on a lot of their stores.
    While this is not good, and I feel for the employee's the up side for us are the sales.
    Was just at the local store by me and they already have a bunch of stuff at 10% and 20% off.
    With time these discounts will drop lower. If you're in an area like me where it's off season for boating, this might make it time to buy
    My store is packed up pretty good on marine and outdoors supplies so i'm gambling most of it will be there until the disounts get pretty steep.
    They're not as cheap as Walmart to start with but at -10% they're pretty close. (one store employee admitted to me this what was closing them down)
    Anyhow, I'm thinkin about waitin another week or so and then cleanin out those departments
    They are stocked with Penzoil synthetic blend and 100% right now, and misc hardware.
    Just thought I'd pass along an observation.
    Gary
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Gary

Heard' of some SMOKIN' deals on nearly-new Jags', Beemers, Lincoln Navigators & Saab 900 Converts TOO! Or did the Execs get to take those before they BAILED OUT??!!...
    Allison Grand Sport - SOLD. Thanks for the memories TeamGPI and S&F!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Yea the local K-mart down here is also geting some prety good sales going on, and they to are pretty well stocked with outdoor goods. The two K-Marts we have here have something really cool that I had never seen before. When you are going to check out, there are no cashiers!! There are machines that you ring up you stuff, it tells you the total and you either put cash in a machine, pay with check or credit. It is pretty SWEET!! Wish Wal-Mart woud get those. Wal-Mart is the ultimate store!! K-Mart didnt stand a chance!!
    Michael
    Co-Founder of Airide Powerboats
    12 ft. Custom Vee 50hp mod. Johnson
    23 ft. Chris-Craft Scorpion: 350 Chevy
    Mod. 25hp Johnson

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yep

We have several chains with the self scan isles, which I love!!

Never thought about all the rest of the stuff going to the auction block??
    I know when they shut all the Penskees down, you could get killer deals on all the old tools.

Yep, Walmart rocks! Cheap as **** but the best service in town!
    The one up by the part of Lake Erie that I run, always has cheap rain coats and sweat shirts out when the typical Lake Erie weather drops 40* in 8 hrs and everyone has shorts Never seen them run out either.
    That one is also cool cause it is like five doors down from a West Marine. Helps keep them ohnest plus I always hit Wally's on the way to West's.

You guys have the Super Wal Marts with the grociers and everything??
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sad that the big K is going away.
    Don't shop there much but did as a little kid. It is an American Icon going away, just add it to the list.

I will miss "BLUE LIGHT SPECIALS"
    G-Man, Sunshine Syndicate |

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy BIG "K-O"...

Originally posted by H2Onut
    I am sad that the big K is going away... I will miss "BLUE LIGHT SPECIALS"
    Yup- me too , & those marshmellows covered w/brown coconut!!... Up here you could only get um' @ K-mart! mmmmm!
    Allison Grand Sport - SOLD. Thanks for the memories TeamGPI and S&F!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the marts

do you know how to spell junk? the marts.
    have you ever asked someone behind the counter what cca on the battery means?
    have you ever asked anyone about what chemicals you should put in your pool?
    do these stores sponsor your little league teams?
    do they offer full time jobs just part time jobs so they don't have to pay benefits?
    they do take out death benefits on employees and name themselves as benefactor!!
    is this someone you want to support ?
    small business are the backbone of america.
    a super wal-mart opened 2 miles from my store, my business has increased 20%. thank god for the marts.
    neil

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down Wally world sux

Yes it is convenient, but that's it. And then, sometimes not.

Neily1 you are correct on all accounts. The flunkies that work at Walmart don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

It is a well known tactic: lower you prices to drive your competitor (usually your "Mom and Pop" stores) out of business, and then raise them higher than they were before.

Another way: lower your prices to draw in new business, and when you got 'em fooled into "Walmart sells for less" and raise the price back up.

I have seen it. When Sam Walton first opened one up here, the prices of boat plugs, life jackets, etc. were way cheaper that of my buddy's boat store. Now he actually beats some of their prices, but do people come? No, they are hooked on Walmart like a crack-head is hooked on crack.

You remember when they were Mr. Made in the USA? Notice they don't advertise that anymore? That's because they were selling stuff made in China, Korea, ect. and had to stop because of false advertising. Lying bastards!

I went to Walmart one day and decided to write a check. I was refused. I have never ever written a "hot" check. NEVER! And it was not that I did not have the account long either. I had to dig out some plastic. I don't know why they refused me, but I never have been refused anywhere in my town except at Walmart. Yes, it left a bad taste in my mouth.

You ever been waiting in line and some old Double A pulls out some sale papers because Walmart will match other competitors prices? After standing in line for 20 minutes while she prices every item and the cashier has to manually key it in. I left my buggy in line along with the majority of the others.

Also, you ever notice that less than 10% of the registers are open? That's 4 out of 40.....so you still wait in line.

I admit I do go there on occasion, but only if I had too. My X loved it (one stop syndrome). I rarely go now......I would rather pay 10% more and not have to deal with the madness or the idiots.

Not downing those who go. It's still a free country. I only go now if I have to. Like on a Sunday or late at night.

Use your smaller stores, keep your dollar in your community. They will thank you for it!
    Last edited by FCnLa; 02-04-2003 at 11:14 PM.
    [img]http://www.************.com/AdminSite/ImageUploads/med_BP_6_10_2002_62408_PM.jpg[/img]

Forkin' Crazy[img]//www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/rolleyes/rolleyes02.gif[/img]

A friend will come bail you out of jail.........but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn........we fu@#ed up!"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Exclamation BIG GUY VS MOM AND POP

Paul, I agree 100%!
    Unfortunatley with Columbus, Ohio being one of the most competetive retail markets in the nation, our Mom and Pops have been gone for 20 yrs!! (they try crap at our fast food restaurants before they do any where in the world!)
    I try not to ever walk into one of the big places w/o knowing what i need and where it is.
    I expect all the clerks to be useless!
    In all fairness, what do you expect for minimum wage and with an enormous inventory to memorize.
    Our Wal Marts have always been the best for price, service, and courtesy.
    You are right about the foreign inventory in the stores though.
    I read his book a long time ago and was (still am) very impressed with what he did. But as soon as I finished that book was when they got nailed for waving the American flag while getting caught selling imported crap!!
    I buy stuff there that is the same product as the other stores carry but at a cheaper price.
    Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

K-Mart and Wal-Mart

Worked part time at K-Mart when I was in high school. Decent part time job the store manager was a decent guy so were most of the staff.I worked in the auto department as well as assembling bikes. They paid $ 3.65 an hour vs $2.65 for typical fast food jobs, got good hours too.
    I live in a small town north of Toronto called Uxbridge. Wal-Mart just opened a store in town. Being a small town I know several of the local merchants. They do have their concerns, but the local towns people will continue to patronize them because of who they are and the products and service they receive.
    Some will feel a loss of buisiness but at the same time the store does draw people in from the surrounding are that would otherwise never come to town to shop. Inevitably some will shop at some of the smaller stores in town for specialty products and service.
    I presonally will continue to shop at the local stores because the people that run them are my neighbors and friends. They are parents of my childerens friends, they are the ones who support the local hockey, soccer, baseball teams. They support the local hospital,the skating club the swim team etc etc.
    This is not to say WM has not. They contributed 10Gs to the local hospital on opening day. I 'm sure they will sponsor community sports as well. This a small town that is growing but people do remember the ones that help out and the ones who don't.
    WM does sell a lot of stuff that just was not available in town before. Some stuff they sell is good some isn't. You get what you pay for. Also some of the products they carry are not the same as products found stateside.
    I've lived here for 8 years and have seen the changes taking place. I know people that have lived here all their lives and they talk about thedays before anthing was around.
    I hope it's for the best and no Mom and Pop stores are forced out.
    Sean, 19 J-Craft ,225 Johnson
    If everything seems to be going well,you have obviously overlooked something

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb My 2 cents..........

Not knocking oe advicatinging anyone here but this just happened here. Wallyworld opened a Supercenter in Plymouth WI a few months ago. I get my oil changed at the local Penzoil Quick Lube and I asked them if the new Wallyworld Auto center has hurt their bussiness because Wally's oil change is a couple bucks cheaper. The manager of the Penzoil shop said "Hell no, It helped because they blew up three engines in the first 2 weeks of bussiness" I don't know if he was yanking my chain or if it's true but he sounded serious.

I have been in the new Wally store and it does have a lot better selection of stuff than the K-Mart in the same town which is now closed. I did buy a 36" TV from the Wally store in Appleton WI. It was a name brand TV and it was $100.00 less than the American or Best Buy store in the same town. What do I care where it comes from if it's a name brand with the same warrenty? Non of these stores are small Mom and Pop stores anyway. When it comes to almost everything else I do buy it right in Kiel at our hometown stores. Hell I buy all my major appliances from our small hometown hardware store and I get the best prices form them and the service is the best you could ask for. Plus it's way more fun cause I can barter with these guys, and that's always been the way it is there. I used to do it with thier dad years ago. It's half the fun of buying there.
    Balzy, Head Amigo

Leakdown Testers / Balz to the Wall Racing Website Here:
    BALZ TO THE WALL RACING

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face oooooops

Sorry if I sounded a little coarse......I get caught up in the moment sometimes.

All of you have good points.

One thing about the TVs, When I went shopping for one, I went everywhere. I could not find the same models as what was in WM. Close, but no exact match. Ended up going to Sears....another large chain......... LOL!

[img]http://www.************.com/AdminSite/ImageUploads/med_BP_6_10_2002_62408_PM.jpg[/img]

Forkin' Crazy[img]//www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/rolleyes/rolleyes02.gif[/img]

A friend will come bail you out of jail.........but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn........we fu@#ed up!"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rainman..

Where is Rainman going to buy his Underwear now...his brother always told him "K-Mart Sucks".

G
    "The Flying Clamato"
    ...This ain't no Party, This ain't no Disco, this ain't no foolin around..."Talking Heads - Life During Wartime"
    The G-Train has left the station.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

There are no "Mom and Pop" stores around here, even in gainesville that sell the things that Wal-Mart does. And the local "Mom and Pop" hardwhere stores, nice people but outragous prices$$$$!!!! Could go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy 4 of something for the price of one at the local stores. Personaly, I like Wal-Mart, Good prices, and good selection, from oil, to lures, and knives. One Wal-Mart put two K-marts out of buisness here in Gainesville.
    Michael
    Co-Founder of Airide Powerboats
    12 ft. Custom Vee 50hp mod. Johnson
    23 ft. Chris-Craft Scorpion: 350 Chevy
    Mod. 25hp Johnson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ooops also

i was kind of p.od last night also.
    everyone should be in business for themselves for at least one year. you would see the power of the marts. if you advertise you have better prices than wal mart, they will come after you with both guns. they will cut their prices 20% BELOW YOUR COST. they do not want competition. my business has grown since they moved near us, but that is because of service we've always offered. i enjoy going in to my local hardware store, near wal mart, and have someone greet me and take me to exactly what i need. granted it may cost more but it is worth it because they believe if fixing some thing rather than throwing it away.
    better prices? i bought a e-trex for $99.00, wal mart sells it for $119.00
    i do shop at wal mart, but not for quality products, but for cheap stuff i may use once and don't expect it to last more than that one time.
    sorry for venting.

neil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast