User Tag List

Page 27 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G,
    It's no wonder why the guys in Norwalk are so fast every year ... Our stuff's half wore out by the time we get to your first race ... All the sharks wait by the used oil containers ... they must save it up and burn it in their shop heaters ..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are the tentative dates for national level drag events this coming year...

2015 Lucas Oil Drag Boat Racing Series Schedule

April 10-12: Parker, AZ
    April 25-26: Phoenix, AZ
    June 12-13: Wheatland, MO
    June 26-28: San Angelo, TX
    July 17-19: Augusta, GA
    Aug 7-9: Marble Falls, TX
    Sept 4-6: Wheatland, MO
    Oct 3-4: Lake Havasu, AZ
    Nov 6-8: Phoenix, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Fl Boy in ILL View Post
    Any idea where you will debut for the drags? And what class you will start out in ??
    i hope that I'm there to watch, feel free to contact me if you have safety tech inspection questions

rick

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fl Boy in ILL View Post
    And what class you will start out in ??rick
    This part might get interesting.........

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just sit tight and let " Them" tell you what class. It don't matter a flying fart, just bring home the bacon.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think as far as a Class right now no one really knows for sure. There used to be Unlimited outboard. Back years ago I was told that if I wanted to make a record attempt that they would stop the action and send it through at any time. The only ones I have talked to so far have asked what I thought the speed was going to be and then we would start from there. At this point we have no clue. When asked asked I said I hope it runs as fast as a Pro Mod

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CLIMAX View Post
    I think as far as a Class right now no one really knows for sure. There used to be Unlimited outboard. Back years ago I was told that if I wanted to make a record attempt that they would stop the action and send it through at any time. The only ones I have talked to so far have asked what I thought the speed was going to be and then we would start from there. At this point we have no clue. When asked asked I said I hope it runs as fast as a Pro Mod
    I'm guessing you have a wide variety of gearsets and props to choose from? 7.0s @ 170+ in the 1,320' are some pretty lofty goals for a rig that is purpose built for the outboard world top speed record. Sounds like you plan on smashing both the outboard 1/4 mile et/mph record and WSR with the same rig? 600hp plus a 200hp shot of nitrous should probably do what you're wanting to do if the boat is at or near 400#s and the motor is at or near 400#s also. Obviously you've run all the #s and have it pretty well figured out, but it will still be amazing if it actually does everything you plan on it doing. It will definitely revolutionize straight-line outboard performance #s!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    only 2 factory gear sets .9 and .95
    I think the 176mph boat had a custom overdrive set

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayzor View Post
    I'm guessing you have a wide variety of gearsets and props to choose from? 7.0s @ 170+ in the 1,320' are some pretty lofty goals for a rig that is purpose built for the outboard world top speed record. Sounds like you plan on smashing both the outboard 1/4 mile et/mph record and WSR with the same rig? 600hp plus a 200hp shot of nitrous should probably do what you're wanting to do if the boat is at or near 400#s and the motor is at or near 400#s also. Obviously you've run all the #s and have it pretty well figured out, but it will still be amazing if it actually does everything you plan on it doing. It will definitely revolutionize straight-line outboard performance #s!
    Current O/B drag record is 7.56 @ 154 set by Jon Wright in Tinker Toy and he is talking O/B kilo record which is 176. Not outright propeller driven.
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes there are multiple gear sets, and every prop we could find is on hand. It has been since the start built for the WSR as you well know it is scaled down from the Fuel Hydro Dan first built. The Quarter mile is a good place to start the testing due to timing lights safety crews ect. Of course there is the 156.26 by John Wright and the 8.25 by Marty Logan, So if wishes were horses and dreamers could fly we would like to take those numbers in the process . If not we are going to give it one hell of a try and have fun doing it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    was Jon Wrights record with the 2 speed?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick:
    Both LODBRS and ODBA have class provisions for unlimited outboard in their current rule books. But ODBA does not use the
    timing equipment you are looking for, nor do they have ET or speed records. The only issue I see is the standing start used
    by the "rope racer" style in LODBRS. If your running a speedmaster lower unit with no neutral, you would have to wait till the
    clock has started to let go of the rope close the capsule, start the engine and go. If anyone ever shows up to race against
    you, this could be at a real disadvantage to hit the start lights as the green comes on. Of course there has not been any
    one running Unlimited Outboard for years, also if your boat is capable of running low 7's nobody will be close to you regardless.
    I have watched some of the video of Jon Wright's and other Unlimited runs from the 90's and I am not sure what starting procedure
    he used. One was from Smoking In The Cove and he was not holding the rope and the capsule was closed for the start.
    It looked like he was just sitting, hit the starter and nailed it. Most of the current outboard drag racers use modified standard
    lower units with at least a neutral, which is required for the lower classes. Speedmaster units are legal in Unlimited outboard.
    Maybe someone who saw Jon Wright run in person can shed some light on his starts.

Danny

ps.( In the old days of the NDBA we ran speedmasters but they used the rolling start like ODBA does today.
    none of this matters as far as the kilo runs as they are complete rolling start )

Last edited by Powercat; 01-13-2015 at 09:45 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes there are multiple gear sets, and every prop we could find is on hand. It has been since the start built for the WSR as you well know it is scaled down from the Fuel Hydro Dan first built. The Quarter mile is a good place to start the testing due to timing lights safety crews ect. Of course there is the 156.26 by John Wright and the 8.25 by Marty Logan, So if wishes were horses and dreamers could fly we would like to take those numbers in the process . If not we are going to give it one hell of a try and have fun doing it.
    Well it certainly looks like you've taken the correct path (boat and engine) to break all the records! I sure hope you guys bring it out West to some of the big Lucas races (Parker, Phoenix) so I can see it run in person, and I wish you guys the best of luck in your wild endeavor!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran a v4 in the 11 second class on a hydro with a speedmaster type gearcase just timing the clock and go. Jim Dunn ran the 9 second class with a stock 260 on a hydro with a Merc speedmaster same thing start and go.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	421.7 KB 
ID:	312898

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	397.6 KB 
ID:	312899Same as this except the powerhead was modified

Page 27 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 LastLast