Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face 1999 Mercury OptiMax...

Hello everybody. A buddy of mine sold his 2100 Pulsare that had a 99 225 OptiMax. He found out that it blew up for some strange reasons. Does anybody know of any problems the OptiMax had for this year, or at all. I can't find or think of any good reasons why. Your help is appreciated..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard in school fuel rails,carbon at idle,software in that order. The 2003 is a fine engine and I am an omc man. But they now have a 5 year nondeclining warranty. As to what the problem is with your year and model I can ask if my instructor knows of this particular year. Problems occcured and mercury was smart enough to stop production and fix. the direct injected engines are here all equally high in quality. Still I am being told they do not like to idle. Rick

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had our '99 225 Optimax blow up three times.

First time the skirt broke off #5 and the bottom of the rod pushed it out of the block.

Second powerhead: seized #4 at 1200 rpm's and 120*. there was aluminum on the cyl. in three area's (10:00, 2:00, & 6:00) positions. This was with 17 hours. Mechanic thought out of round piston.

Third powerhead: Seized at 37 hours. 2000 rpm's. 120*. #3 cyl.

Merc sent up a fully dressed 2003 drop-on. We never had it put on. We took a $5000.00 trade in "as-is" with the new drop on for a 2003 Merc-a-ha 4 stroke 225 (made by Yamaha for Merc for one year only).

Prior to the Opti-Crap, we blew up three 3.0L carb 225's. Those failures ranged from bad ecu's to broken pistons.

These motors were on our harbor patrol boat. Needless to say, my boss hates Merc. Can't blame him, we never felt safe with those 3.0L motors.

Ron Pratt
    '91 Virage "The LAST Virage" 15" 280
    26' Grady White "fish getter"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and then again........I know of a number of 3.0 litres that were run very hard and lasted for more than 1000 hrs. There was a harbor tour boat that had twin 3.0 litre 225 EFI Mercs XXL's. not particularly well maintained either. And I have a few Opti-crap engines out there that have been just fine for several seasons now...guess it depends on what day they were built, huh?
    I watch with great anticipation to see how this new 4 stroke stuff is gonna hold up to "tough customers"! As a 2 stroke man I hate to say it, but I'll bet the 4 strokes will last longer...just may not win any races.