Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mercury 260hp vs 250xs?

Just wondered about your opinon, about the comparison between a 260 and a 250xs?
    Which engine would be the fastest, and so on
    I've never seen a video of these to engines running head to head. So would be very interessting to see which setup would come out strongest, if to similar boats and rigging where set up against each other with these engines.
    Anyone seen something like this?
    Best regards
    Christian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    260 is awesome engine.. I've got 6.. They run pretty good when everything is within spec. They require a lot of preventative maintenance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    250xs will use half the fuel but weighs more.

On a light boat top end would probably be pretty close both setup correctly.
    Last edited by baja200merk; 10-15-2013 at 07:24 PM.
    Quartershot T-3R 15" 3.5L E-Tec 1.62 Sportmaster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baja200merk View Post
    250xs will use half the fuel but weighs more.

On a light boat top end would probably be pretty close both setup correctly.
    Sorry Kevin but find me ANY 250 xs that can run 115+ at any given time!and send them them to the jasper river run next year! ps!!! You do know there is no video of BRETTER,LAZY DAYS, OMAR, and me ,I think you get the picture, tim

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I knew I'd reel someone in hence the stir the pot

Setup correctly a 250xs (270hp) 1.62 on a procomp should run 115.

Hell, last week my 225 e-tec ran 105.3 first time out first pass and the lake was so rough I felt like I was on deadliest catch. I moved motor up almost 1/2" and with some decent conditions 110 is in reach but rpm limiter will stop me there. I will have GPS and go pro proof hopefully this week

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baja200merk View Post
    I knew I'd reel someone in hence the stir the pot

Setup correctly a 250xs (270hp) 1.62 on a procomp should run 115.

Hell, last week my 225 e-tec ran 105.3 first time out first pass and the lake was so rough I felt like I was on deadliest catch. I moved motor up almost 1/2" and with some decent conditions 110 is in reach but rpm limiter will stop me there. I will have GPS and go pro proof hopefully this week
    Nothing personal Kevin, but the jasper river run is pretty serious there are some fast boats cruising at 100 and it gets pretty rough at times , I don't doubt that a 250xs cane run and get some serious mileage, but when you go have fun for a DAY!!!!!!! I don't care,lol I have all winter to fix it,I run a 28 hoss at 116 on the run , poor little 260!!!!!! Tim

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you conclude that the 250xs is cheaper on the gas, but the 260 is the meaner choice, then
    Best regards
    Christian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmc6 View Post
    Nothing personal Kevin, but the jasper river run is pretty serious there are some fast boats cruising at 100 and it gets pretty rough at times , I don't doubt that a 250xs cane run and get some serious mileage, but when you go have fun for a DAY!!!!!!! I don't care,lol I have all winter to fix it,I run a 28 hoss at 116 on the run , poor little 260!!!!!! Tim
    Nothing personal here either Tim. Thats one of the few runs I have not done hopefully next year!

My point was the 250xs would run in the teens. Would it win a drag race against a 260? HELL NO, did I say it would? HELL NO

I don't drag race so I like the fuel mileage, no smoke, no mixing fuel, 500 rpm idle, shifting around the dock, setup correctly a 250xs would run 100 at 5500, they will do that all day.

28 @ 116 = serious rpm abusing parts and bores. Another downside to a 260 is when they are used like Tim uses it at 9k rpm it will require some EXPEN$IVE maintenance every 150 hrs or so. 12 months of boating/150 hrs I'll take the DI with the 1000 hrs between rebuilds. I put 25hrs on my boat in 2 months

To each his own i guess
    Last edited by baja200merk; 10-16-2013 at 08:48 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Acelleration to a 100mph is a whole lot funner then needing a calendar to get to 100mph in my opinion the 260 is a lot funner to drive on a light setup,when you got it tagged to the floor they all eat gas...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a really broad question obviously. It's a "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" type of thing. The 260 is a WICKED motor. Definitely more fun if "fun" is defined as numbers. Faster acceleration, ability to run a wider range of prop sizes. But, if lower gas bills, not having to mix gas and oil, not having potentially HUGE rebuild bills, and no more new blocks sounds like a headache, one can have a LOT of fun with a 250XS. We have to start looking at motors other than the 2.5 Mercury. They won't be here forever so we need to start figuring out how to have fun with the motors that are being built. I LOVED the 260s and drag motors I've had, but I got tired of trying to find good clean ones. Have bought 3 "clean" ones that were worn out in my opinion. They're getting harder and harder to find. So, I'm trying something different.
    Sam Baker
    On to the next project....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx View Post
    Acelleration to a 100mph is a whole lot funner then needing a calendar to get to 100mph in my opinion the 260 is a lot funner to drive on a light setup,when you got it tagged to the floor they all eat gas...
    If you've never driven one they pull the big wheel better then you think. My boat with a 1.62 and a 15x34 et will pull by and put boats on my buddys warmed up 2.5 200 with a 28. His boat is about 100lbs heavier then mine but my motor is 100lbs heavier so weight should be close. Of coarse It would be a different story if his 2.5 was a 260. Actually the reason his 2.5 200 is on it is cause his 260 is gonna cost a million to fix and rebuild so its been sitting on the garage floor for a few yrs

Mine gets about 5.5mpg at 100

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All very interesting points,I think the 280 is the ticket for river runs,if you don't mine the extra fuel,I don't have one yet but I will looking shortly,jmo tim