September 11, 2001. The date we should never, and will never, forget. I stood that morning with my good friend Jason, watching in awe as the United States was attacked. Terrorists woke THE juggernaut, THE superpower of planet earth, THE United States Military. We had a Commander In Chief who was willing to rain down fire from the sky, and bring wholehearted retribution by land. He did what needed to be done. Not only for these United States we live in, but also the planet earth we live on. 2753 people perished that day… 227 civilians on 4 planes… 23 NYPD Officers… 27 Port Authority Officers… 2016 World Trade Center employees… 3051 children lost parents... and 343 brother FDNY Firefighters.

Nine Eleven…Nine-One-One. The numbers that not only signify that fateful day, but signify a call of distress in this country. That dialed number I have answered tens of thousands of times. It has been my calling, literally, for 18.5 years, almost half of my life. It is a beckon I will continue to answer, whatever the emergency, whatever the sacrifice I must make.

And now today, September 11, 2013, it was time to take my companion, Loki, for one last walk. We would go down the canal banks by our house. It is a place I could let him walk off leash and be free. Though, he would never stray more than 20 feet without giving me the look back. The “We still good?” look. As we walked down the path out of our front door, I saw our street lined with American flags to celebrate this day. It felt as if God was looking down from above saying “I have put out the flags for you to come home, Loki. The United States Flag, your checkered flag. You have triumphed in all of your battles; you have been victorious in all of your races; you have protected your family and done more than your duty. It is time for you to come be by my side and wait patiently for those who love you. You will see them again.”

At 10:38 this morning, Loki went to peaceful sleep in my arms.

Godspeed Loki, I will see you on the flip side.