Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Foley View Post
    Just gotta say , I've built HUNDREDS of Kawasaki Z-1 and Suzuki GS 1000 - 1100 engines with glass beaded pistons with compression ratios as high as 14 : 1 and never had a ring issue . Obviously you don't blast the ring lands unnecessarily . Glass beading will not add more than .0001 " to a piston diameter .

Demeanor , you would have been better to scrape the domes with a razor blade and Scotchbite the skirts in soapy water !!!
    Come on Tom, with respect here, he's simple "testing snake oil", NOT a rebuild....! ..(been deep into many M/C motors too...once a gearhead, always a gearhead!)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby321 View Post
    Exactly! Its heat, combustion pressure, AND EXPANSION OF THE GASES . (think detonation here) that shocks the carbon out! Think water, to steam, or Seafoam Naphtha mostly under fire! And that, is just short of ..(well, kinda, best gas, but $.) Then the other blends, alcohol to Nitro......

Thing is with the new oils now, and better design motor..old stuff yes, new..?..Ignore.

Hey Mr D! Try some Home Depot, 100% Napthha..Called (think), VM+P...(Painters Naphtha, for dilution paint. QT is $6 something,. last bought. (I make my own "seafoam too).
    Robby321 Can you tell us what you use in your "own seafoam" Thanks in advance Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is another chemical that I use when rebuilding motors but before I let you folks know which one it is PLEASE PLEASE take this word of caution VERY VERY seriuosly...this stuff is more flammable and explosive than gas itself.....BUT I can assure you it will remove anything and everything. You CANNOT use it in a running engine. I have only used it to soak parts that I want clean. It will remove paint,grease....hell it will remove anything that I have ever used it on. Its called MEK for short.....methyl ethyl ketone...Like I said please folks be cautious when using this as I have seen the results from someone not being careful. If I remember correctly the flashpoint is 55*s. When it does ignite it is very similar to denatured alcohol in the fact that you can just barely see the flame. To give you an idea of how strong it is think of acetone but 3 times stronger.

I also forgot to add that it leaves NO residue like some other cleaners do. Say like if you use kerosene leaves an oily residue.....well MEK does NOT!!
    Last edited by 1FASTLASER; 09-07-2013 at 07:31 AM.
    Laser 1550 ...under construction with a serious weight loss
    Motor 2.4....undecided on hp yet

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by olboatman View Post
    Robby321 Can you tell us what you use in your "own seafoam" Thanks in advance Gary
    That boy needs a serious decarbing
    13' Biel tunnel AKA "Flight Risk"
    13" Modified Yamaha V4 - 101 mph

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can make your own seafoam, but not much cheaper than the real thing. Heres a link the MSDS sheet..PDF

http://www.mta.ca/administration/fac...Co.%202010.pdf

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Soaking some stock Merc pistons now using "Berrymans Carb and parts cleaner" Is there any risk of soaking too long? The instructions say not to soak more than 4 hrs for coated metals. Is there any coating on merc pistons?

Will show the results when done

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Dont know. Coated pistons will look like they have paint on the sides of the skirts, not bare aluminum.
    4 hours will be more than enough.

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Along the lines of fuel additives that work while running, has anyone tried the B-12 carb cleaner fuel additive instead of the Seafoam? I bought a can of the B-12 after doing some mild research on their site. They claim it to be safe for outboards too so I took their word for it. I have no idea how well it has done. I've not taken a look after and did not take a look before for comparison.

As for Techron, I KNOW firsthand what it will do to clean a gummed up carb that sat for a few years. Before tearing it apart (Toyota truck), I decided to try the Techron mixed in the gas first. Fired it up and adjusted the idle up so it would stay running. After about 45 minutes of puhpuhpuhpuh.....puhpuhpuhpuh it smoothed out and I never had to wrench on the carb.

My experience with Seafoam is nil as far as results good or bad. I have been using it solely based on it's reputation but if the B-12 additive works, it's about half the price or less.

As for things to try for soaking, what about trying caustic soda in a test? I've used it in the past for degreasing/decarbonizing aluminum and galvinized and it works without a doubt. I know it leaves some discoloration but I don't know how it would affect the critical surfaces of a piston or other parts. What do machine shops use to vat parts? I've never asked.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went to the auto part store yesterday and put Seafoam on the counter. The kid working there tried to talk me into something else. I respectfully told him that I know Seafoam works. Another oldtimer standing there agreed. I use 1 can of Seafoam in 3 qts of gas, and run it through. I have gained 7-10 of compression using this method. Sam Jenkins pulled apart a motor I had been decarbing this way and it was super clean. On a running motor, I don't know anything that works better. Smokes so bad, you might want to warn the fire dept.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have pistons to clean. Looks like Berryman Chem Dip had the best results. Any more tests?

DB

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Da Bull;2700911]I have pistons to clean. Looks like Berryman Chem Dip had the best results. Any more tests?

DB[/QUOTE

Nothing remotley close to the Chemi dip.

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK thanks

DB

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    klean strip aircraft paint remover works awesome. imo the best there is for cleaning carbon and gunk off of exhaust chest and passages. very nasty stuff though.do not get any on your skin!
    stan carson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was starting to clean the exhaust chest on my winter project this evening and found a spray can of BP Blaster Lawn Mower Tune-Up and gave it a try. It melted the baked on carbon almost instantly!!! Thought it my be useful info for winter rebuilds. Gary
    "12" Super Lite Tunnel (11') "88" 25 Yammy twin carb "BANANA SPLIT"
    "77" Hydrostream Viper "87" 140 Rude heavy modded w/15" mid, Bobs nose and lwp "DANGER ZONE"
    "72" Checkmate MX-13 "80" 75 Rude w/15"mid and Nitro Lu (to be restored)

"Too much is never enough" Keith Richards " Dreams become reality via hard work and perseverance" G.A.Carbonneau

"This coming from an old man that strapped two bananas together, hung a motor on it and calls it a boat" XstreamVking

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by olboatman View Post
    I was starting to clean the exhaust chest on my winter project this evening and found a spray can of BP Blaster Lawn Mower Tune-Up and gave it a try. It melted the baked on carbon almost instantly!!! Thought it my be useful info for winter rebuilds. Gary

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast