Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Repeat Mercury 150 XR6 Prop Shaft Seal Failure - Help?

2005 Merc 150 XR6... 7 years with no issues (yes, not used as much as I'd like!). Last year (2012) the inner prop shaft seal failed and ended up wedged in the outer seal. Caught it in time and I had the seals replaced at a dealer. First time in the water this year - a week at a fishing lodge in Canada - and when I pulled the boat out of the water I saw traces of oil on the skeg again. Ugh. Sure enough, pulled the prop, and the seal failure looks EXACTLY the same as last year (see pic). The inner seal failed again and wedged in the outer seal. Does anyone know what is causing this? I need to prevent this... last time I as lucky, this time I know there's damage (10 oz. of water in the case, bearings rumbling,...). Help!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prop seal.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	359.1 KB 
ID:	279797

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better inspect the prop shaft bearing and when you put the new seals in, use some Loctite bearing mount to install it. this will hold the seal in place and keep it from walking out.You can also drive the inner seal in further than the outside one.
    www.eagleoneperformance.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. Do you think I should double-check that the lube isn't too full as well (after the new seal is put in)? I've read some things that suggest if the case is too full the pressure from heat build-up can push seals out... but you'd think it would only burp the seal, not cut it up and spit out chunks. I guess it's possible that the seal was damaged when installed? Makes me think about buying the tools to change the seals myself...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too much lube can create pressure but it will usually push out around the shift shaft seal as it's a single seal. It appears tghe seal is turning on the shaft. If so you need to seat it in another place (Deeper)in the carrier with some seal mount.
    www.eagleoneperformance.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, gotcha, thanks. Really appreciate it. And since you're a supporting vendor, I'm off to visit your website too. Thanks again.