Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

E300XPCUR 1987 Evinrude XP Ignition Issue, help?!

Ok folks I got a good one here and need help figuring out what it could be!

I have a 1988 26' Sleek Craft Enforcer with a 1987 Evinrude E300 powering it.

Problem Statement:
    Intermittent spark on port side of engine only. Engine will run but is very weak. Used a timing light to see that spark is intermittent on all 4 spark plug wires on port side of engine.

Troubleshooting completed:
    • verified new plugs are good (swap with known good working plug from other side of motor)
    • plug wires are new and verified working (swap with known good working wire from other side of motor)
    • coil pack verified working
    • power pack was replaced with new power pack on port side but this only controls the upper two coil packs on the port side and upper two on starboard side.
    • using a timing light I verified that I have energy all the way up to each coil pack, but its intermittent after the coil pack only on port side of motor. Again coil packs, plug wires, and plugs are all verified good and work just fine on the other side of the motor!! B

Recent events prior to this issue:
    • last month I was having a similar issue with the ignition in which all 4 upper plugs would not fire leading me to believe I had a power pack issue. So I got the cash together and purchased one. Well that wasn't it, further troubleshooting lead to the stator! So once again I put some more money together along with an arm, leg, and second unborn child and bought the stator. THIS FIXED THAT PROBLEM. The motor never ran that awesome!

• Last weekend while I was on the lake I was having issues planing out on the water and disregarded it because I had a full boat, 10people and full gear, so I figured it was just too heavy. Not the case, on the way back to the main dock the issue got worse and I lost almost 50% power after a 12 mile run back to the dock.

Anyone have any idea here? I mean I just replaced the stator but all my troubleshooting is pointing back to that?? Maybe the timing base?

Anyone seen this failure before?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Intermittent spark on port side of engine only.
    Have you checked the shift assist switch? I didn't see that you mentioned that and it's job is to kill spark to one bank of cylinders as you're shifting out of gear, from time to time they can screw up and kill spark when they're not supposed to.
    1979 Checkmate Eluder
    rebuild thread http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...er-541058.html
    1993 Rude 175
    1990 Johnson 200 - died
    Where NOT to buy an engine in Savannah, GA http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=537238

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I talked to him earlier and says he checked the shift assist switch...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I checked the shift switch. It controls the lower 4 cyl and shuts those down. Kills the starboard side power pack which runs the lower 4 cyl

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im a little curious on that...i always thought it killed one bank and not the bottom or top 4...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll check it again bro. I am not going to rule out anything. I make mistakes all the time. Did a lot of troubleshooting this morning.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you got something fouled up. Powerpacks control side to side, not top to bottom. Same with shift switch. Look for proper connection from powerpacks back toward timerbase.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tvd, thanks for the reply but in this motor the port power pack controls the upper 4 cyl. 1,2,3,4. The starboard power pack controls the bottom 4 cyl. 5,6,7,8. Double checked this with schematic, also it's the original power packs and tracing the wiring also shows this.

On the lighter side, I have verified the stator is testing good... Will check the timing base now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Timing base failed the voltage check. Grrrr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK...that's a new one on me.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I followed what the book says, connect the meters negative probe to the white wire of the port side connector on the timing base, them connect the positive probe to any other terminal in the port side connector, then crank the motor. Voltage should read >0.2VDC for all terminals in the port side connector. All terminals failed as well as the voltage check for advance.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You using a DVA adapter? Those voltages are the RESULT of very short voltage spikes that are hard to capture and read. The DVA adapter does that for you. Also, the voltages are so low, that it is possible that the DVA will miss them due to the diode that is present in the DVA circuit. Most diodes need .7v to turn on, and here we are only talking about .2 volts. Depends on the DVA adapter you are using. I would not, at this point, consider your timer base testing to be the "last word".

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gotta clarify something.....this powerpack issue of port side controlling 1-4 cyls...etc. This doesn't make sense tom me simply from a practicality standpoint. Let me explain. Manufacturers manufacture things as simply as possible. What you state is not the simplest way to go....from a manufacturing and even assembly standpoint. The port pack wire lengths would be much shorter than the stbd packs wire lengths. That would make the port and stbd packs non-interchangeable....a process that has been in a debugger's toolbox for a long time. And, the powerpacks have the same part number, both sides....so how do you snake the primary wires from the stbd side all the way over and down to the two bottom port cyls. Effin wires must be way long....and the mfg assembly process...what a nightmare for the guys to wire it up. If you look at a V6 looper, the wires run right down each side 1,3,5 and 2,4,6 and the wire lengths are sized to fit. I just don't get this 1,2,3,4 and 5,6,7,8 business with the packs and their cylinder assignments. Anyone else on here that can verify for SURE. Sleek, are you counting the cylinders right? I.E. from top to bottom, each bank, STBD is 1,3,5,7 and PORT is 2,4,6,8. The statement that the PORT pack fires the upper four and the STBD pack fires the bottom four just blows my mind.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tvd, you are right about the manufacturing process stuff here. The replacement part is the same now withy he new part numbers for the packs. (Think they figured this out after a bit) so when I order a new pack the last time my stator went bad (cuz I thought it was the power pack) I found out that they are the same. Us there is a ton of extra signaling wire left over for the coil packs as well.

As far as cyl location goes, port side is odds, 1,3,5,7. Starb side is evens 2,4,6,8. If I could figure out how to upload some pics on here via my iPhone I would show ya guys. As far as it looks, the power packs and wiring (besides the stator, I changed that a few weeks ago) are all original and the port side power pack does have shortened wiring compared to the original starboard power pack.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something ain't right. STBD side is always 1,3,5,7. The highest cyl in the stack of 8 is #1. That is on the STBD side of the engine. This is very weird.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast