Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bullet w 150 have to choke to plain out!?

I bought this boat a few weeks ago, 1986 bullet w xp150 evinrude. This is my first outboard so dont know alot about them , but when i accelerate the motors lugs and starves for fuel. when i push the choke it takes off great and runs great. A buddy of mine has the same bullet and is also a boat mechanic said its doing that because the hot air outside. he cleaned the carbs said the top carb low jet was clogged but didnt make a diffrence. im thinking maybe rejet?? anyone else had this problem?

also the boat came w a 21p prop. we put a 28p on it and it ran 60mph at 5200rpm. we then tried a 22p it ran 60mph at 5600. i really thought this boat would run faster than this. im dissapointed but i got it at a good price. im gonna run it fri w the 21p prop but im not expecting much. i just cant beleive such a light boat cant break 60mph!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The carbs are not clean.
    11-20 -08 1980 14' Allison
    2018 Carbon Fiber 15' Allison
    homemade 15" 90 Yamaha
    nice and quick 7900 rpm
    Happiest driver on the board. Chris Carlson reeds are the way to go. CCM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQyBn...er_profilepage

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was talkin to a Mennonite small engine mechanic a lil while ago he said the same thing. he told me take em off bring them to him.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jason is correct.
    Ray Neudecker Over The Hill Gang Outboard Racing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep I agree

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carbs are still dirty. Don't run it till you get it sorted out or you may burn it up.
    Sunsation 32 Dominator - 496 MAG HOs

Nothing runs like a Deere when a CAT's on it's ASS!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info ill give Larry a call. My buddy is telling me he cleaned the carbs and that's not the problem. He told me to run motor w air cover off carbs. He thinks the dense air is causing it to run lean. He says all the old evinrudes were bad about this. Im not thinkin this is the problem. I'm gonna pull the carbs and take them to my Mennonite friend tomorow ,let him clean them.Every carb I let him touch performed flawless, He's an awsome mechanic but won't let me bring him boat cause he don't belive in toys. Only lets me bring parts lol. If that's still the problem ill try get it to Larry. Sounds like I defiantly need to talk to Larry why this thing will only hit 60mph.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well we ran the boat this morning. I think he was right. He pulled the carb cover off it was 60 degrees out and the boat ran perfect ! Came outta the hole great ! I was impressed. I will admit I cant drive it worth a crap at 60 but I'm learning. He did most the driving. While we were out we tried a 24 p raker. We got 62 mph at 5400 rpm. The bow rose up out of the water the highest out off all the props we tried. We then tried the 21 that came w it. 55 mph 6000 pluss rpm had to feather throttle! Came out of the hole scary fast though. I'm prob gonna go w the 22 raker since it was at 5600 rpm . I guess thats all the motor has so when I learn to drive it then motor swap or boat swap . I'm hoping it still runs good in 90 plus weather.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey I don't know if you are still working with the bullet, but you can get a lot more out of that set up. those boats require lower water pickup and a different jackplate than it has. I have a 1985 150 Johnson and gotten to 67 so far and that wasn't WOT. pm if you are still working on it and ill let you know all my specs.
    1984 17vee Bullet w/1985 Johnson 150gt (bob's nose cone, hydrodynamics custom 8in. jackplate, custom skid plate and foil, and 26p trophy plus) currently 70mph tournament loaded.