Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Member, New Boat

Hello all,
    I am a new member to the forum and a new boat owner. I bought a new boat with the knowledge of the bad engine, real cheap. This boat is small, and will be used only for fishing, It came with an evinrude 18hp; I thought about rebuilding it, professional (auto) mechanic, but it's hard to find parts, 1972, and expensive. It will be cheaper to just buy a used engine off of ebay. My main question is what other powerheads will fit on the 18hp assembly, perhaps a 20, 25, 35 hp etc...any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of boat is it and how long is the transom? 15 inch motors are getting hard to find in some HP ranges.I might have a 18 short block out back if ya need......Free.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    71 kingfisher hustler; transom is 58" wide; front to back of boat lenght 15'

#2 iron from the Mayo clinic, Fla. / Blue Ridge, VA.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how much can parts be to re-build that motor cost? seriously. 70.00 dollars? what are we talking here? rings and bearings? if it's a 2 stroke what else could it need? unless it's siezed a piston from some strange unforseen "high performance" issue, rather think not, what the hell could be wrong with it? carb problems, electrical, does it turn over, have compression? everybody today is so "throw away" minded. IT'S AN 18 HORSEPOWER MOTOR , people wear me out
    most overnite successes usually take at least 10 years

Certified turd polisher,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr fun View Post
    how much can parts be to re-build that motor cost? seriously. 70.00 dollars? what are we talking here? rings and bearings? if it's a 2 stroke what else could it need? unless it's siezed a piston from some strange unforseen "high performance" issue, rather think not, what the hell could be wrong with it? carb problems, electrical, does it turn over, have compression? everybody today is so "throw away" minded. IT'S AN 18 HORSEPOWER MOTOR , people wear me out

WOW! Take a deep breath. It's just an engine. I'm not the kind of guy to just throw this engine in the trash just because it needs a $70 part. However being new to boating, as I stated in my previous statement, I needed advice not judgement, and you chose the latter. I've done my own research and have bought a service manual for the engine and will proceed in my strategy based diagnostics tommorrow with first removing the head, per instructions online.

"throw away" minded (I own old vehicles, parts are cheaper on older cars, and simpler to work on, less electronics/electrical components/circuits) but there is a statement in the world of restoration "PRACTICAL RESTORATION"! Example, if you want to restore a car that needed more parts/restoration processes than you could ever re-coup on that time/financial investment, it would be more "PRACTICAL" to make that a parts car. That's what I'm getting at. My old cars may occasionally need a valve cover gasket, or a carburetor rebuild, but that is an investment, and money well spent. I am not a rich man, if it can be rebuilt I will rebuild it, my research has led me to the belief that the word "boat" triples if not quadruples the cost of parts. But people online take these engines out of a 10 year storage and start them right up. So, maybe all I need to do is replace the piston rings, or maybe overhaul the engine with new bearings and seals completely, but I like to do repairs right the first time, so that I don't waste time or money. I will find out more tomorrow during tear-down, but I am essentially just excited to get out on the water, whichever way, new motor, or rebuilt will get me there first.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!
    Those little motors are kinda high around here.Its hard to find a $300 motor.Im sure you would be better off rebuilding yours,Nothing to lose really. if you can get it to run its worth well over $300. I did see a nice 1999 40hp Johnson $2600 Wow, not much cheap.
    (somebody needs a Nap):0
    L.T.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Save for the crank, there are no parts on a 1972 18-hp OMC that are "expensive". All parts can be fouind anywhere--ebay, dealers, swap meets, AOMC meets. You're on the right track--pull it down, examine it, and see if it's worth rebuilding. If you keep in mind that rebuilding it can be interesting, fun and educational for you, then it's not wasted time. Those engines ran very well, and make great little outboards for fishing and cruising. Nothing wrong with that.

JT

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JWTjr. View Post
    Save for the crank, there are no parts on a 1972 18-hp OMC that are "expensive". All parts can be fouind anywhere--ebay, dealers, swap meets, AOMC meets. You're on the right track--pull it down, examine it, and see if it's worth rebuilding. If you keep in mind that rebuilding it can be interesting, fun and educational for you, then it's not wasted time. Those engines ran very well, and make great little outboards for fishing and cruising. Nothing wrong with that.

JT

Ok, so I tore into the engine today at work, slow day. I will definitly need piston rings, thermostat, gasket set all round, and I think that's about it. Also, I dis-assembled the engine according to an evinrude 18202r specific repair/service manual. I found a couple of injuries to the top of one of the pistons, it looks like it happened a long time ago, maybe the wrong spark plugs were used or a nut got in there. But, I'm really hoping to find a complete engine overhaul kit with all the gaskets, seals and rings. Monday, I will remove the flywheel, and continue on, thanks for the advice.