Thread: Mercury EFI 250

Mercury EFI 250

I am selling my 1999 Mercury 250 EFI. The entire motor (top to bottom) was gone through last year. The 3.0L powerhead was completely rebuilt and has about 25 hours on it. I went through a 10 hour break-in before winding it up. I have not yet had this motor over 5800 RPM. This is a 20" mid "bass" motor. This is a very strong running outboard that looks and runs like new!!!

The complete rebuild consisted of:
    Cylinders Bored (one new sleeve) and all matched at 0.015 over. (done by Ruck)
    New Coated Pistons
    Hand Lapped Seal Rings
    New Rod Bolts
    Connecting Rods Honed and Checked
    Rods and Pistons Assembly Weight Matched
    New Bearings (Crank and Rod)
    New Heads (I also have a set of 250 XB Heads that will go with the motor)
    New Head Bolts
    New Performance Reeds with a 250 XB Reed Plate
    New Oil Pump Drive Gear on Crank
    New Oil Pump
    New Thermostats
    Simon Lightweight Flywheel
    Fuel Injectors Cleaned and Flow Tested
    300 PM Ignition ECM (Stock 6400 RPM Rev Limiter and extra 2 degrees of timing)
    20” Bass Mid with fresh powdercoat
    Cowls (uppers and lowers) repainted and in excellent condition with a new set of decals.
    Lower unit was completely gone through, new seals and gears checked to be in great condition.

All work was done by local Certified Mercury mechanics that build both race and fishing motors.

This motor is definitely for someone that is looking for an extremely fast motor on their boat. It is located in Elwood, Illinois and it can be shipped at the buyer’s expense. We can also install it on your boat and run it on the water. Installation at no cost for a boat already pre-rigged for a Mercury. Asking $5,500.00. Call Craig at 815-342-3017 or email ctjkf4@krausonline.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0686s.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	266.1 KB 
ID:	276462Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0688s.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	286.3 KB 
ID:	276463Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0692s.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	276464Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0695s.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	279.8 KB 
ID:	276466Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0694s.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	275.5 KB 
ID:	276468

is it a one or two piece drive shaft
    1986 stratos 180 vt 150 black max. sold
    1998 edge stealth 3.0 efi
    1994 huricane fun deck 90hp yammy

One Piece Drive Shaft

What year and size champ is that? How fast did it push it. I have 02 196 that needs big motor like this.

Its a '94 201 DC. I had it on a Ranger R91 last year for the break in. Once I broke it in, it would run 72.9 GPS before it would get too crazy. I picked up the 201 last fall and that was my winter project. I swapped the motors and sold the Ranger. I have only ran the 201 about 4 times and had it to 74 GPS with a Trophy 25 at 5800. It would run faster with some more tweaking and a 3 blade prop. The motor runs great, has tons of torque, and will push that 196 faster than you can prolly drive it (unless you already have the "go fast" driving experience). It has solid mounts so there is no rubber mount play to worry about when running at high speed. If you want a fast motor for that boat...then you want this one!!!

What kind of fuel mileage will this engine get? Would this motor be a good choice for fast/slow cruising, waterskiing, tubing and all around recreational use? Is it compatible with merc smart craft gauge?

Thanks
    Last edited by wottz; 05-19-2013 at 11:34 AM.

Fuel mileage is ok as long as you don't run wide open all the time (4500 RPM or less). This motor will do whatever you want without issue (fast/slow, water skiing, tubing and all around recreational use). It does not have the newer smart craft system like the Optimax engines. I do have a Mercury warning gauge (warning light pod which is the same size as a standard 2 1/8" round gauge) for the fuel, oil and over temperature alarms. I will include this with the motor. This gives a visual along with the audible warning. This was the earliest of the monitoring gauges (I bought this new last year). The harness from the gauge to the motor would be included.

Is it a 250 or 200 the cowling sticker says 200!

Its a 250. I have 200 stickers on it because my boat was rated for a 200. I have a set of 250 stickers for it if you want them. I can also have them put on at my local body shop if you want them put on before it leaves. If you look at the pictures at the back of the motor (without the cowl), you will see the 250 EFI ECU and the 300 PM (Promax) Ignition ECU. Only 250s and 300s have the two ECUs. If you look around here on SNF, you will see that this ECU combination is the best for a 250EFI. The 300 PM Ignition ECU gives you a 6400 RPM rev limiter and 2 degrees more timing at high RPMs. This motor will make the most HP at 5900-6000RPMs.

Stickers

Quote Originally Posted by basspro57 View Post
    Its a 250. I have 200 stickers on it because my boat was rated for a 200. I have a set of 250 stickers for it if you want them. I can also have them put on at my local body shop if you want them put on before it leaves. If you look at the pictures at the back of the motor (without the cowl), you will see the 250 EFI ECU and the 300 PM (Promax) Ignition ECU. Only 250s and 300s have the two ECUs. If you look around here on SNF, you will see that this ECU combination is the best for a 250EFI. The 300 PM Ignition ECU gives you a 6400 RPM rev limiter and 2 degrees more timing at high RPMs. This motor will make the most HP at 5900-6000RPMs.
    Thank you for the response. I get it. Buying a TR 21 with no motor. Looking for one that will work on that boat.

This motor will make that boat fly. I have a set of flush mount controls that we can work into the deal if the boat is not already rigged for a Mercury. Where are you located? The motor can be shipped to you or we can install it on your boat if you are within driving distance of Channahon, Illinois.

Sold pending payment...Thanks SNF!!!