User Tag List

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Miami Outboard Club. I still remember going to races there before the Marine Stadium was built. Tested there a couple of times but never got to race there except for the start and finish of the Around Miami Beach Race in 66.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2us70 View Post
    Miami Outboard Club. I still remember going to races there before the Marine Stadium was built. Tested there a couple of times but never got to race there except for the start and finish of the Around Miami Beach Race in 66.
    Hi Jim----The start/finish of the 'Roaring 100' was right there. 70 to 100 through the bridges! They did move the start/finish to the Stadium the last year it ran----

Last edited by GENE LANHAM; 06-26-2015 at 04:39 PM.

3. Likes olboatman liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what was the thinking with the low cockpit sides as was the norm in those days?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    what was the thinking with the low cockpit sides as was the norm in those days?
    Just to give drivers the "Molinari Elbows".

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    Just to give drivers the "Molinari Elbows".
    so they looked like Fangio in the 50's?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran the last "Roaring 100" in 71. I was just out of fire college and on probation. Bobby Krell broke the bow off his Checkmate and I won the E class in my "Big Ugly" marathon boat. On the north run I had a close call and decided to park the race boats till I made probation. I recall you won that one overall. This was back when running a Switzer wing out in the open Atlantic Ocean seemed to make perfect sense.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Renato builds a wooden pleasure tunnel hull.

The wooden pleasure boat tied up to the dock is Renato’s personal craft. It is a tunnel boat that he would sometimes go water skiing behind, with his brother Giorgio driving. If I remember correctly it had a Merc 1100 or 1150 on the transom.

I think this was a sort of Molinari prototype hull that was built, as a venture into the potential viability of going into commercial fiberglass production. This photo is 1971-1973 time-frame.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Como shop view, from house next door...jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	194.6 KB 
ID:	324138Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Como shop & Renato in race boat..jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	396.8 KB 
ID:	324139
    Last edited by Lake X Kid; 01-29-2019 at 06:45 PM.

9. Thanks Mark75H thanked for this post
    Likes Mark75H, gmjim liked this post
    Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Very cool! Where did you find that pic?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2us70 View Post
    I ran the last "Roaring 100" in 71. I was just out of fire college and on probation. Bobby Krell broke the bow off his Checkmate and I won the E class in my "Big Ugly" marathon boat. On the north run I had a close call and decided to park the race boats till I made probation. I recall you won that one overall. This was back when running a Switzer wing out in the open Atlantic Ocean seemed to make perfect sense.
    A Wing in the ocean was like a cruise ship compared to Dick Spellman in his F Hydro winning the Around Miami Beach Race. Dick held more UIM records than anyone around this time, all in marathons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spellman.jpg  

12. Likes olboatman liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM View Post
    Hi Jim----The start/finish of the 'Roaring 100' was right there. 70 to 100 through the bridges! They did move the start/finish to the Stadium the last year it ran----

Gene,
    I lived on that (Palm) Island until I was about 13. Those bridges were too low for a wing, but i did take Angie Demos' bubble cat under the Hibiscus Island bridge so Dave could watch it. That was scary. The water wasn't that deep either. When I was a kid, you could stand on the bridge, anywhere, and within a couple minutes see sharks swimming under it, two or three at a time. On second thought the engines on the wing were about the same height as the bubble cat. Say you didn't do it..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilabner View Post
    Gene,
    I lived on that (Palm) Island until I was about 13. Those bridges were too low for a wing, but i did take Angie Demos' bubble cat under the Hibiscus Island bridge so Dave could watch it. That was scary. The water wasn't that deep either. When I was a kid, you could stand on the bridge, anywhere, and within a couple minutes see sharks swimming under it, two or three at a time. On second thought the engines on the wing were about the same height as the bubble cat. Say you didn't do it..
    Dang--Butch, I have been wrong before But 45 years later--I can still feel the pucker---

Study this pic. I found it on one of Alvin Lederer's site----

15. Thanks shadowcat thanked for this post
    Likes shadowcat, Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM View Post
    Dang--Butch, I have been wrong before But 45 years later--I can still feel the pucker---

Study this pic. I found it on one of Alvin Lederer's site----

Gene, i'm sure you can feel it, but it looks like you are on the south east side of Watson Island, same place the last Around Miami Beach races started, headed for the Flagler Monument, passing Hibiscus Island. Ain't no way the lawyers or the city would let someone race under the bridges to Palm, Hibiscus or Star Island. You may be on the same course we ran the Six Hour on. No bridges on that one. You can see the Port bridge on the far left with the old Miami News building, McArthur Causeway bridge far right. If you went out to the Ocean you would go under the bridge by the Coast Guard Station.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody see a Sabre with a Chrysler on the transom?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was not in that one.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photos of Brian Dewey, & Roy Ridgelli at Como, Italy next to race shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    Very cool! Where did you find that pic?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brian Dewey photographer at Como Lake..jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	324252 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dad in boat with Como house in background..jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	324253

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Mark 75, the exterior photos taken of the Como/Torriggia race shop was taken by British photographer, Brian Dewey. Here is a photo of Brian and his lady friend, on the house patio next to the race shop. Brian also took some interior pictures of the Como shop, but not on the second floor where the carpenters built the Molinari hulls. Renato did not care for outsiders to be observing what was transpiring in the wood working floor.

When I was there in the early 1970’s, Brian was almost a ubiquitous presence at most European races. If Brian Dewey or his relatives were to share his portfolio of race photos, then that would be a treasure trove of historical reference. But then that was days of film and not digital, so who knows what survived the ages.

Brian was the only professional photographer that I know who was allowed to take some interior shots. I do not know if it was because of Brian’s request, or Roy Ridgell’s idea to do a little PR photo work. The photos on my previous post are exterior shots that Brian took, from the adjacent house/building patio area.

The house is in the photo behind Roy Ridgell who is in the skiff. The outdoor patio floor is the roof of the boathouse below. In this photo the Como shop is to the right (north side of the house). This is the house Roy Ridgell and his family rented, while he was managing the Mercury European race team.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

20. Thanks Mark75H thanked for this post
    Likes Mark75H liked this post
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast