User Tag List

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mercury European race manager, Roy Ridgell, at the Molinari Como race shop.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roy R. with In-line 6 at Como race shop..jpg 
Views:	1289 
Size:	253.5 KB 
ID:	315593

You can see the Italian flag colors in stripes on the boat's cowling.
    Changing gaskets on this style of exhaust system on this Inline 6, was a pain in the butt.

This photo is on the bottom floor (lake level) where the boats were rigged next to the engine room.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by impala View Post
    Attachment 307108First Molinari to run in the USA?
    I have seen a number of pictures of this boat but have not seen any other pictures of wide cockpit Molinaris with the same profile of this boat and was wondering how many of them were imported to the U S and if there are any known to exist. I have one of these boats that has a number of different color overpaints but was originally red on top of the wood. Having owned and driven several Molinaris in the 70's/80's I am quite certain that it is an original Molinari due to the craftsmanship, constructuion techniques, etc. The boat is pretty rough and the front has been modified to a pickle fork configuration using cheap wood and staples. the frames and stringers and most of the skin is in remarkably good condition and it will be a fairly easy restoration. My involvement in the sport began in 1971 so I may not have been around early enough to see many of these boats before they became obsolete. The only one I remember racing in this area (Texas) is The S-500 of Kenneth Mann (Triple A Outboards) with a Merc stacker. While carefully removing the layers of paint I found the outline of lettering on the rear upper deck "ANGELO MOLINARI" in about 3" letters. I am ashamed to admit that I have owned this boat for 8=10 years and am just now getting around to working on it, but I guess better late than never. I assume it is about a 65 or 66 model, possibly older. I would love to hear from anyone who could shed some light on it's history, age or owners.
    Just a couple more things - It was parked on the side of the road and a fellow racer(Tracy Hawkins) stopped and called me and I told him to buy it and I would pay him when he got to my shop. I don't remember the reason but there was no history available from the seller. I called Kenneth Mann and he came by to look at the boat and thought it could have been his but in uncovering the layers of paint I am not sure if it could have ever had his paint scheme on it.
    I have some pics on my phone but am not smart enough to get them on this site, would be happy to send them to someone who could post them.

Thanks, Bob Schubert

3. Thanks Mark75H thanked for this post
    Likes Mark75H liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A new era in single-outboard power begins with Roy Ridgell and Molinari hull boat 888

Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM View Post
    The facts are a little muddy, but if Roy ran that boat in the 1966 GCM, he finished 6th overall. But for sure, the Gold Coast Marathon was "Mr. Kiekhaefer's personal race".

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> After Roy Ridgell (my dad) finished the Gold Coast Marathon race at Miami Marine Stadium, he told my Mom to get in the boat. With my mom sitting on the gas tank in front of the Mercury engine, dad left MMS to an offsite marina. He was told by Mr. K not to trailer the Molinari hull at the race site, because he did not want the competition to see the new boat.

In retrospect, it seems to me, that Carl Kiekhaefer knew with increase horsepower, new light weight tunnel hulls, and the correct propeller, that this competitive combination was compelling. This became an advent to an evolutionary transition of single-outboard powered tunnels, which are going to change the face of outboard circuit racing. And Roy Ridgell piloting boat# 888 was the forerunner to this new era. And this rig was the first-overall single outboard hull, at the Gold Coast Marathon, in its inaugural race in the USA.

And later on with the addition of power trim, outboard tunnels have achieved remarkable cornering speeds and rocket acceleration. And 1966 was a beginning step to the 1970’s racing legacy.

Name:	GGM 1966 first single outboard overall boat# 888..bmp.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	309.9 KB 
ID:	321972

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
    Last edited by Lake X Kid; 06-20-2015 at 05:03 PM.

5. Thanks sport8, Mark75H thanked for this post
    Likes GENE LANHAM, Mark75H liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake X Kid View Post
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->

And later on with the addition of power trim, outboard tunnels have achieved remarkable cornering speeds and rocket acceleration. And 1966 was a beginning step to the 1970’s racing legacy.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
    Bob--and Roy: About 18 months later---- March, 1968, Don Clark finished tenth overall at Parker in this #500'. It wasn't the only Molinari, and it wasn't the only tunnel----

7. Thanks Mark75H thanked for this post
    Likes Lake X Kid, sport8, Mark75H liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Gene and Roy,
    I can't tell you how pleased I am to have this boat. Based on the photo from Gene I am assuming that it is a 66 model due to the cone front cowling as opposed to the wrap-around fairing found on the 65 and earlier models.
    Roy, I did not know your Dad but over the years have heard only the highest praise for him both personally and in his work with Mercury, I do know your uncle Bobby but have not seen him in a number of years. He is a fish catching SOB. If you talk to him tell him I said "hello".
    If I can learn to post pictures I will do so on this restoration project.
    please forward any other information that any one has on this boat or that would be of interest to this project.

thanks, Bob

9. Thanks Mark75H thanked for this post
    Likes Mark75H liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great stuff and very interesting! Thanks guys!!! Gary
    "12" Super Lite Tunnel (11') "88" 25 Yammy twin carb "BANANA SPLIT"
    "77" Hydrostream Viper "87" 140 Rude heavy modded w/15" mid, Bobs nose and lwp "DANGER ZONE"
    "72" Checkmate MX-13 "80" 75 Rude w/15"mid and Nitro Lu (to be restored)

"Too much is never enough" Keith Richards " Dreams become reality via hard work and perseverance" G.A.Carbonneau

"This coming from an old man that strapped two bananas together, hung a motor on it and calls it a boat" XstreamVking

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob--and Roy: About 18 months later---- March, 1968, Don Clark finished tenth overall at Parker in this #500'. It wasn't the only Molinari, and it wasn't the only tunnel----

Gene...You can run, but you can't hide. Deep in that mix of tunnels and wings there is a distinct lightning bolt on the back side of a Red Bird. There looks to be a roll or two of the trade mark duct tape holding her together.

Have a Great Day...

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	321991

12. Thanks GENE LANHAM thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good eye, Bob!!! Thanks---

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob V View Post
    Deep in that mix of tunnels and wings there is a distinct lightning bolt on the back side of a Red Bird.
    Thanks Bob----there is a lot of history in that '68 Parker picture. Over 100 boats started that race, at least 14 were Wings, including a DeSilva and a Dutchman.

That year was the last year they used a true 'LeMans' start, where you were guarantied to start a 9 hour race---wet up to your a---

Bill Cooper drove an 18' Molinari powered by a small block Mercruser---the first KT??

There were Molinari, Schultze and Dutchman tunnels---all single engine.

We ended up with the #710 Molinarin in Miami a few months later. Lonnie Todd drove it at some races at Pelican Harbor--(check the 'lightning bolt')---

Last edited by GENE LANHAM; 06-22-2015 at 01:39 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gene that picture brings back memories. the only thing in that picture that still looks the same is the truck. Did you ever drive or race that Molinari? I only recall you running the wing and offshore stuff by that time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2us70 View Post
    Gene that picture brings back memories. the only thing in that picture that still looks the same is the truck.
    Still driving 'Old Blue', Jim---

17. Likes XstreamVking, olboatman liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2us70 View Post
    Did you ever drive or race that Molinari?
    -

Yeah----I did. But--I never got comfortable in one of those things---Dick and I ran one in a '225' at the Stadium--1969???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never drove one with a U motor. But I did test a couple of them rigged for SJ. I found them very comfortable and easy to drive at SJ speeds. They were real good in rough water but a little slower than some of the completion. I would have liked to race one in an endurance race.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bob----there is a lot of history in that '68 Parker picture. Over 100 boats started that race, at least 14 were Wings, including a DeSilva and a Dutchman.

That year was the last year they used a true 'LeMans' start, where you were guarantied to start a 9 hour race---wet up to your a---

Bill Cooper drove an 18' Molinari powered by a small block Mercruser---the first KT??

There were Molinari, Schultze and Dutchman tunnels---all single engine.

We ended up with the #710 Molinarin in Miami a few months later. Lonnie Todd drove it at some races at Pelican Harbor--(check the 'lightning bolt')---

Gene ...You must not have ever raced that #710 Molinari - there is no duct tape holding it together

I think the late 60's will always be my best memories of powerboat racing. The wings, tunnels, inboard GN's and SK's all mixing it up. Yes, those were the days...
    Last edited by Bob V; 06-23-2015 at 05:30 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob V View Post
    Gene ...You must not have ever raced that #710 Molinari - there is no duct tape holding it together

I think the late 60's will always be my best memories of powerboat racing. The wings, tunnels, inboard GN's and SK's all mixing it up. Yes, those were the days...
    No duct tape----

The late 60's---'We Thought Those Days Would Never End'----

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast