User Tag List

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct Jackie
    They did a low port 115called 90hp and it had tons of torque
    Early 80's was nice engine
    We installed them on an aussie 18'cats and the 90 would drop it on the plane with a single engine running
    No v4 omc could do that

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mercury Marine sports blue racing jackets in the early 1970's -- Merc Molinari combo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roy R. & Dave Beier in Boat# 12 at Paris..jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	284.8 KB 
ID:	304485Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mercury blue Race Jacket & Guitar..-001.-001.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	304486

This is an early 1970’s race jacket, when the Molinari race boat powered by Mercury Marine was the winning combination. This was the racing colors during the era of Mercury's Inline 6 and the beginning of the V6 race engine.

That is Roy Ridgell and Dave Beier in the Molinari race boat at the Paris 6 hour race (1973 or '74), and me (the Lake X Kid, 2014) in the color photo.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake X Kid View Post

Name:	Roy R. & Dave Beier in Boat# 12 at Paris..jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	284.8 KB 
ID:	304485Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mercury blue Race Jacket & Guitar..-001.-001.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	304486

This is an early 1970’s race jacket, when the Molinari race boat powered by Mercury Marine was the winning combination. This was the racing colors during the era of Mercury's Inline 6 and the beginning of the V6 race engine.

That is Roy Ridgell and Dave Beier in the Molinari race boat at the Paris 6 hour race (1973 or '74), and me (the Lake X Kid, 2014) in the color photo.
    Now if that's Paris, why would Beirs be wearing an Amsterdam pit pass on his right wrist? Just asking! Cos I know for a fact Renato raced a white rig in Amsterdam in '74, had a right royal ding dong with him before he puked his motor.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    Now if that's Paris, why would Beirs be wearing an Amsterdam pit pass on his right wrist? Just asking! Cos I know for a fact Renato raced a white rig in Amsterdam in '74, had a right royal ding dong with him before he puked his motor.
    Mr. Wilson, Please forgive Lake X Kid too much central Florida / Southern California Cool aid and he's getting old. Not that getting old is bad, just saying. On a different thread I told him it was Amsterdam also but it could not have been '74 because we left the continent March '74. By the Twister patch on Dad's jacket, I'm guessing '71.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok which one are you, your dad and I were good friends, and when your mom and dad moved to Torriggia to live, next door to the Molinari factory, my kids and the Ridgell kids spent "QUALITY" time together.
    The boat looks like the 1970 Paris boat I ran with Renato , only problem is,Amsterdam was usually held in the spring/summer time and Paris in October.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am number 2 son, third of four children. In March '71, Dad brought Mom, my little sister and I to Italy. Lake X Kid and my older sister (1 and 2 respectively) stayed in St. Cloud to finish school. Lake X Kid at the time was a Senior and graduating in May. I got to stay in Italy for 2 weeks (dad thought I was going to be able to get in to a school - either the American school in Milano or some boys boarding school in Switzerland - neither was open), then sent back to the US to finish the seventh grade. From mom, I learned that you and your family stayed with them - my cousin "Biff" was there when you all were there. I thought Amsterdam was in the late summer and early fall. But 1970 fits for a spring/summer race. Because as I remember dad telling it, We Lake X Kid going into his senior year fall of 1970, Dad told his bosses that he wanted to spend more time at home to see LXK play football, wrestle and whatever else he was into. Dad was allowed to turn over the responsibilities of the European theater, in December of 70, he was called to Oshkosh for a meeting. At the meeting Dad was asked, what would it take for him to come back and manage the European racing team. Dad thought he had the pat answer that would leave him in St. Cloud, he told them that he would do it, if they moved his family over to Italy. Thinking he was pretty smart, he sat back and waited for the "thank you but no thank you" instead they said "When can you move your family?" And as the saying goes, the rest is history.....the best three years of my young life.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your dad had a very "Delicate" job in Europe trying to keep Renato sweet and the rest of us happy.
    Molinari made the boats for the whole Mercury team both in Europe and the USA, as well as most of the motors were shipped to Como and Roy had to oversee who got what and when.
    This was a time of rapid development in both boat design and motor technology and we all wanted to be the first with anything new.
    I was in the fortunate position of both being a Mercury dealer back in the UK as well as a team driver, could have any size boat I wanted, was friends with both Angelo and Renato and was a reasonable jockey.
    Was already friends with PRUETT from earlier encounters and your dad from his visits with Joe Swift to the UK where they spent time at SWMF, Poole.
    Knew GG from a visit to OSHBERG in '70 and Havasu the same year, just happened to be in Como when everyone arrived. Was there to pick up a boat with all my kids, a camper van, and on two weeks vacation. Was there when your mum,dad, and kids arrived, followed later by uncle Bobby and "biff".
    My 10 year old daughter BOO, and Biff disliked each other intensely and got into a tremendous fight on the factory floor in Torriggia, was finally separated by Angelo himself.
    Nobody could have done the balancing act of keeping Renato and the rest of the team happy except your dad, he was a fine man.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Picture .....

Quote Originally Posted by GrewuponLakeX View Post
    ....... On a different thread I told him it was Amsterdam also but it could not have been '74 because we left the continent March '74. By the Twister patch on Dad's jacket, I'm guessing '71.
    Don't bet the farm on this, but I think it's the #12 Molinari that Hering won Amsterdam with in 1972. I just don't remember Beier going overseas until 73, but the photo says that recollection is incorrect!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    Don't bet the farm on this, but I think it's the #12 Molinari that Hering won Amsterdam with in 1972. I just don't remember Beier going overseas until 73, but the photo says that recollection is incorrect!
    Bill, I flew with Beiers from Heathrow to Malpensa just after he had collected his "PURPLE HEART" from Washington----I was sacked from the Mercury Team at Windermere in October '72 so he was definitely in Como at that time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by impala View Post
    In the mid 70s, An American guy came out to race in South Africa and brought out a beautiful twin Molinari. It was extra pretty in that it had a narow rear cowl and two small fairings for the twin mercs that looked to me like they were spced wider apart. He had one leg ( the result of a boat crash) and his name was Dick Summerfelt (spelling ?). The boat stayed behind in South Africa and was bought buy a guy called Gordon Langham-Love. There was also another American driver that came out for the same event who's name I cant remember. beautiful boats though.
    Dick and I (Brian Smith) were and are Canadian. The only American was Jimbo MeConnel with an OMC Rotary; and if my memory serves me (still) Dick ran him down and placed a close second to him. I ran a new C6 on one of our Miles boats and someone "borrowed" my cut-off swictch before the race so I started late. After about 15 laps or so fighting through traffic the timing belt broke and that ended my day so I watched from the opposite bank of the river.
    Attached is a pocture of the Miles at HavasClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Miles # 2 Havasau.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	389.4 KB 
ID:	306122u.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
    Dick and I (Brian Smith) were and are Canadian. The only American was Jimbo MeConnel with an OMC Rotary; and if my memory serves me (still) Dick ran him down and placed a close second to him. I ran a new C6 on one of our Miles boats and someone "borrowed" my cut-off swictch before the race so I started late. After about 15 laps or so fighting through traffic the timing belt broke and that ended my day so I watched from the opposite bank of the river.
    pocture of the Miles at HavasClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Miles # 2 Havasau.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	389.4 KB 
ID:	306122u.
    To my recollection, Johnnie Sander went to So. Africa, not Jimbo. Johnnie knew how to put on a show for the crowd. To think a In line merc could run down a Rotary is absurd.
    Attached is a

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob hering 1972 winning amsterdam

Name:	CCI27012012_00000.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	306219
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    Right again young man?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotary John View Post
    To my recollection, Johnnie Sander went to So. Africa, not Jimbo. Johnnie knew how to put on a show for the crowd. To think a In line merc could run down a Rotary is absurd.
    Attached is a
    My gawd after so many years I'm surprised I remember it at all! Dick was driving the twin Moly and whoever it was in the Rptary wasn't all that quick; maybe he was afraid of falling out amongst the alligators in the river(?) Maybe someone who was also there has clearer recollection, rather than speculation.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Attached is a
    Well of course it's "Absurd" Johno, just the same as it's absurd that Peacocks KT could possibly pass the rotary------it was "invincible". (While it lasted!) for one short season of 8 races and 6wins, and a few million dollars, but a lot can happen in LA-LA land.
    excuse me for fouling the Molinari thread with this----but in the automotive industry today there are "Hybrids"------Eco's-----frugal diesels----- and not a rotary in sight-------it's " Absurd" to think that the whole industry got it wrong.?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMC in Africa .....

Sanders won the race in the Johnson Rotary. The V-6 wasn't available at that time, so Jimbo had to run a V-4 Evinrude.
    [QUOTE = Rotary John]To my recollection, Johnnie Sander went to So. Africa, not Jimbo. Johnnie knew how to put on a show for the crowd. To think a In line merc could run down a Rotary is absurd.[QUOTE]

Maybe Brian is right about McConnell being there after all, it sounds like Jimbo & Johnny were both there?

[QUOTE]In the mid 70s, An American guy came out to race in South Africa and brought out a beautiful twin Molinari. It was extra pretty in that it had a narow rear cowl and two small fairings for the twin mercs that looked to me like they were spced wider apart.[QUOTE]

impala was talking about this twin inline powered Molinari and Brian was saying that it was driven by Dick Summerfelt and that it almost caught the rotary. I don't know what the water conditions were, but if they had any kind of rough stuff to get across, that big twin would be running over it a bunch faster than the little Scotti. On calm water the rotary would have been faster, but on rough race water I'd put my money on the twin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cascadden[1].jpg  

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast