User Tag List

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob Spaulding (boat# 6) races with first Merc V6 in Europe at Koblenz boat race 1973.

Quote Originally Posted by GrewuponLakeX View Post
    16 foot and dual engines, I wouldn't blame it all on 'young gun', back in the day saw a few 'experienced guns' in the same posture (they even had cowlings)Attachment 290652
    The boat on the right in the 'young gun' position was Mr. Bob Hering and the boat on the left approaching 'young gun' position was Cees Van der Velden.
    1972 I think?
    Bob Spaulding raced the new Mercury V6 on a Molinari sprint hull at the German race in Koblenz 1973. In the above photo all the other Mercury/Molinari hulls combinations were powered by the Merc inline 6 cyclinder. I think in the photo you can see the Molinari boat cowling height flare-up for the taller inline 6 engine.

Renato Molinari won the race with a inline 6 Merc, beating the field including Bob Spaulding with the (albiet more powerful) V6 engine. I say "albeit more powerful", because the two Mercury R&D engineers who brought the one and only engine from the states, kept the performance data secert and engine covered from the rest of the Mercury Race team (including Gary Garbretch). It was when we got back to the race shop in Como Italy after the Koblenz race, that the mechanics got to see what was under the engine cowling.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(Roy Ridgell) Race on Sunday, (to Don Aronow) Sell on Monday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boat# 888..jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	290887Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M. M. Missile..jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	290886

Maybe the old NASCAR slogan "Race on Sunday, Sell on Monday",
    also applies with the Molinari hull and Maltese Magnum Missile.

In the boating industry too, from the race course (proving grounds) to the dealer's showroom for public's pleasurable ownership.

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake X Kid View Post

Name:	Boat# 888..jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	290887Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M. M. Missile..jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	290886

Maybe the old NASCAR slogan "Race on Sunday, Sell on Monday",
    also applies with the Molinari hull and Maltese Magnum Missile.

In the boating industry too, from the race course (proving grounds) to the dealer's showroom for public's pleasurable ownership.
    Yeah, but more likely with an Allyson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the mid 70s, An American guy came out to race in South Africa and brought out a beautiful twin Molinari. It was extra pretty in that it had a narow rear cowl and two small fairings for the twin mercs that looked to me like they were spced wider apart. He had one leg ( the result of a boat crash) and his name was Dick Summerfelt (spelling ?). The boat stayed behind in South Africa and was bought buy a guy called Gordon Langham-Love. There was also another American driver that came out for the same event who's name I cant remember. beautiful boats though.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by impala View Post
    In the mid 70s, An American guy came out to race in South Africa and brought out a beautiful twin Molinari. It was extra pretty in that it had a narow rear cowl and two small fairings for the twin mercs that looked to me like they were spced wider apart. He had one leg ( the result of a boat crash) and his name was Dick Summerfelt (spelling ?). The boat stayed behind in South Africa and was bought buy a guy called Gordon Langham-Love. There was also another American driver that came out for the same event who's name I cant remember. beautiful boats though.
    I believe that his racing Team mate cme with him, his name is Brian Smith.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by impala View Post
    Dick Summerfeldt and his twin Molinari at Havasu, 1971. For More photos, visit Dick's website - http://autoshotcar.com/boat_gallery/boat.php

Impala, Dick hails from Toronto, ON, Canada and continues to attend vintage boat racing events. Brian Smith, also Canadian, drove for Dick - and I believe is living in Mexico now. Both were great drivers with top notch equipment.

Name:	IMG.jpeg 
Views:	80 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	290972 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0001.jpeg 
Views:	124 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	290973

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are 2 more pictures of Dick Summerfeldt's Molinaris with twin Merc power.
    One is from Cherry Beach (Toronto) 1971 with Jim Cascadden in the Glastron-Molinari/Evinrude.
    The other is the same Molinari from Watermark's pictures at Havasu 1971 with Jim Cascadden driving. The one with the engines spaced wide apart.

Brian Smith always drove Dick's second boat, but I don't ever remember Brian driving a dual engine...always a single Milesmaster in U-class.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	291054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cascadden.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	291055

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you know that after Dicks accident, Freddie Miles designed the first steering pulley below the legs ???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    Did you know that after Dicks accident, Freddie Miles designed the first steering pulley below the legs ???
    No, and I'm guessing very few people in this world would know or remember that. Dick's Cantek Racing Team switched to Miles Master boats when singles took over, no doubt for that reason. As is often the case, it takes a major accident to incite change.

Once again we see the value of this forum in keeping our sport's history alive.. and how fortunate we are to have people such as Jackie and others who were around in the early outboard days to make us aware of such important facts.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once again we see the value of this forum in keeping our sport's history alive.. and how fortunate we are to have people such as Jackie and others who were around in the early outboard days to make us aware of such important facts.[/QUOTE]
    +1 Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    No, and I'm guessing very few people in this world would know or remember that. Dick's Cantek Racing Team switched to Miles Master boats when singles took over, no doubt for that reason. As is often the case, it takes a major accident to incite change.

Once again we see the value of this forum in keeping our sport's history alive.. and how fortunate we are to have people such as Jackie and others who were around in the early outboard days to make us aware of such important facts.
    Mark/Jackie: I had one of the last Miles Pickleforks and it didn't have breakaway steering....

What boats did he put breakaway on? The systems we initially used came from Mercury Racing as I recall....
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Mark/Jackie: I had one of the last Miles Pickleforks and it didn't have breakaway steering....

What boats did he put breakaway on? The systems we initially used came from Mercury Racing as I recall....
    Fairly sure in my own mind it was November 1970, i had chucked the boat over at Havasu and chopped the snotter clean off. Some neat patchwork and some 120 stitches later,curtesy of Needles Hospital and a sh-t hot surgeon, the aforementioned probiscus was back in place. Charlie Alexander had a fair bit of clout in those days and asked Freddy and myself if we would like to hitch a ride back to Oshkosh in the company plane. GG and Bill Steele were on it i believe. We were saying what a useless piece of kit the ride guide system was on a tunnel boat as it had no "feel" whatsoever. ( and was one of the mitigating circumstances of my try to fly episodes.)
    Freddy asked for a pen and paper and drew the first steering wheel on a stick with a double pulley on the end ( became known as breakaway steering ) Charlie was well impressed and took the sketches with him. That was the system used for the next 20 years on all tunnel hulls.
    Fred was instrumental in many devices used in outboard racing ,i.e., solid shock mounts and thrust blocks, but thats another story.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK Jackie; who was Fred?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotary John View Post
    OK Jackie; who was Fred?
    Sorry 'bout that Johnno-----------,Fred was Freddie Miles, ex Suzuki race team bike rider,innovator,engine tuner,builder, designer of Miles Master race boats and a myriad other things.
    he was also involved in the Suzuki Rotary bike, so I am surprised you never came across him.
    Then again, the Suzi Rotary bike never really took off .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats it !!!! Dick drove the twin and Brian Smith drove a single.

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast