Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheap lowers and.outdrives with a warranty

With that said, been there done that. Won't waste my $$ with sei again.......

Your experience may vary...
    Last edited by mackeral5; 01-13-2013 at 08:58 PM.
    Mike Dowling

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they sell new aftermarket lower units cheaper then most repairs on a stock one costs. and they have a great warranty. they will fix or replace a broke sei no matter what causes the damage.

and i do hear and read that they are poor quality.

my only first hand dealing with sei is a great one. i bought a 1998 evinrude 225 vindicator from a online ins auction. i could see in pics lower unit was off motor and had busted case. after reciving motor it looked as it was either beat with a sledge hammer or hit a rock at high speed. it had a serial number stamped in housing. i called sei expecting the worst because i had no way of knowing who bought it and when.all i was asked after telling sei i had one of their lower units that was destroyed from an impact was what was the serial number. then i was told it was still covered and transfered to someone that switched it to my name and gave me a return authorazation#. i sent it to them waiting for a call to ask me why i smashed it with a sledge hammer or for someone to at least ask me why it should be replaced for free. what i got was a brand new lower unit and they even paid the return shipping. i have ran it very hard for several months without any lower unit trouble. now if i can just stop burning pistons and spitting rods thru the block boating will improve.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest problem is that if you add a nosecone or use it for "racing", it voids the warranty.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frederick55 View Post
    The biggest problem is that if you add a nosecone or use it for "racing", it voids the warranty.
    That is totally understandable in my opinion. I would imagine if they sold them as performance units the return rate would be so high that the price would go up to that of an OE case.
    The Reverend, (Cedar Machine Service on Facebook)
    1989 HST 2.5 260 Merc Offshore
    1991 Vaserette YT 200 Mercury
    1988 Venus XT 200 Yamaha
    1983 Viper II Merc 90
    1977 Viper
    Mini GT tunnel, 25 Merc
    "African Queen" pontoon 25 Merc
    Aluma fishin tub, 20 motors to choose from!

GUESS WHAT?...I gotta fever,...and the only prescription...IS MORE COWBELL!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I do not like the S/D uppers, but as a witness to a Yammer replacement case the guy ran over some rocks, the prop shaft was bent incredibly bad, the driveshaft twisted and it still functioned, sort of. I gave the gears to a buddy for his bass boat. Then the guy did it again two weeks later.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They stand behind their products, but for me it was too much of a hassle....1st issue was a spun water pump cup which ate a groove in the driveshaft, this happened in less than 5 hours. Then shift shaft seal....then driveshaft seals....then propshaft seals.....all in less than 100 hours, over the course of 1 spring/summer.

I've installed many of their alpha's on customer boats with no issues. However I won't put sei on MY boat again....
    Mike Dowling

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They sell "asian made clones" of lower units that the patents have expired on.They make some changes to them over the original design if they see problems.The warranty is great and SEI gives good customer service.They don't necessarily make the product they sell,just sell them and do the warranty program. I wouldn't use one as a high performance piece,but as an OE replacement,why not?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't want to bore you guys with a long story so ill try to keep it short. We have a 2950 Proline we use as our dive boat, we spearfish weekly when the weather is good. We have a pair of 250 EFI Mercs on it. On a trip this summer we came off plane and we heard or counter rotater making a clicking sound. Pulled the boat took it back to the shop drained the lube and we had pieces of gear on the mag, pulled it off and apart and we needed a gear set, clutch dog, propshaft and some bearings. We tried to buy a mercury reman from land and sea but they were out of stock and our cost was around 1800.00 so rather than lose a ton of our prime diving time against better judgement we decided to buy a SEI for half the money. Broke it in and changed the lube in the early fall at the 20 hour mark as suggested by SEI. The Hi performance mercury lube was silver ! We said F@#% it its under warranty !! 2 trips later were cruising in after a long day of shooting and all of a sudden the port motor goes to the rev limiter i pull it back shut it down trimmed it up a bit to reduce drag and begin our 16 mile idle. Figured the gear set went. Got back to the dock and tilted it all the way up and the propshaft and prop was gone !! SEI told us that they have had propshafts on the 3.0 gearcases break where the hardened steel is welded to the stainless we brought it down to them and they put an OEM mercury shaft in it and it has been fine since. They even paid us for our mirage prop. Great customer service and warranty but no piece of mind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The few SEI lowers I have had come through the shop appear to be constructed of inferior alloys. The cases (and other components) exposed to salt water corrode very rapidly, in addition to premature internal failures. While they appear to stand behind their product, I don't think they are a smart buy if you intend to keep your engine for any length of time.